The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

Just now, sblfilms said:

for realllll. 

This person has not watched a lot of TV and must not have any streaming services... or Cable. As good and high produced as The Mandalorian is, it's scope (so far) still seems smaller than the  Expanse to me. I'm sure that will change  as we only have one episode to judge vs 3 seasons, but yeah. 

15 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Man I LOVED that episode. Everything about it was so interesting. It was Star Wars and yet it wasn’t. The music certainly wasn’t Star Wars but it might be my favorite television score of the year. Can’t wait for Friday. 

It's really good. Watchmen's might be better, but this certainly gives it a run for its money.

Really enjoyed the episode - didn't feel like only 40 minutes (in a good way). Subtitles really helped this episode. Weird we have a third Mandalorian similar to Jango Fett and Boba Fett that isn't either of them, and weird to see a new IG droid that isn't IG-88, but at least we're expanding the universe, sort of. And I hope people realize that that baby is just a baby of that species and not actually that person themselves (though cloning seems heavily involved here given the insignia of the people guarding the baby are those of the cloners from Planet Kamino from Episode II - Attack of the Clones - same with the scientist that was with Werner Herzog).

This is far more like the OT and Rogue One than it is Solo, which I appreciated.

People seem really high on it, and I did like it, but I felt like it could have been more. Through at least the first half it felt like a fan project made by industry professionals, if that makes sense. 

the GC ranged In quality. Some good. Other times it looked very cheap, like maybe the interns at ILM were given the scenes, and not their seasoned talent. 

If there was one thing I disliked the most, it was the carbonite freezer in the ship used on all his bounties. In EP V the impression I got was they were having to rig the machine to do something it wasn’t meant to do. A few years later the practice is common? And then there is holding him in place...that doesn’t carbonite his own hand? 

On 8/24/2019 at 9:15 AM, SFLUFAN said:

On 8/24/2019 at 11:47 AM, sblfilms said:

Disney is playing to win, so, yes. Iger is committing whatever it takes to keep the production values as close to parity with the theatrical siblings as possible.

I enjoyed the first episode.  But it still felt "TV-Quality" to me.

Do you still think it will be comparable in production values to a Star Wars movie?

14 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Twitter reactions to episodes 2 and 3 are VERY positive. Much excite!

They are positive but then there's the other side, some group calling themselves "The Fandom Menace" that's trashing the first episode because they have to keep the angry narrative that Disney has ruined their lives. 

• Guillotine 1

Pretty big reveal or confirmation about the baby's species. I think this is only the 3rd of its kind in canon and I'm not sure if anything previously said

Spoiler

they were natural with the force. No training I assume.  Not sure if we should be tagging but just in case.

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Honestly I don’t have a problem with it being a clone, if that’s what it is. It’s not the most interesting thing they could do but given who seems to be after the asset... it would be on brand, at least. And they could potentially do some subversive stuff with that, if they choose to walk down that road.

Just finished episode 2.

Holy hell. This show is legit good. I thought I was going to like it because it plays in my favorite sandbox. But I like it for so much more than that too and I'm happy about that.

The way it is shot is beautifully done. The score is fantastic and feels on point but at the same time not Star Wars-y. And all the characters just feel so authentic and real. I hope the show can stay at this level.

All the jawa stuff was amazing and hilarious too.

I don't know why I thought this but I had been under the impression that they would all be essentially what would equate to an hour long program (so think 45 minutes then?) I'm not disappointed by the quality at all and I love how there are already SO many questions I'm asking myself about where it can all go from here, so that's exciting!

19 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

I don't know why I thought this but I had been under the impression that they would all be essentially what would equate to an hour long program (so think 45 minutes then?) I'm not disappointed by the quality at all and I love how there are already SO many questions I'm asking myself about where it can all go from here, so that's exciting!

I don’t think they have any standard length, but I’ve heard from one of my Disney guys that episode 2 is among the shorter and there is likely one episode longer than episode 1.

5 hours ago, SoberChef said:

definitely wish they were longer

On 11/15/2019 at 10:51 AM, sblfilms said:

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

Please don’t be a clone

I’m calling it now. 

not only is it not a clone, but it is the actual Yoda. Baby becomes so strong in force that it decides to use to force to travel back in time to warm the Jedi about order 66 and the impending empire. Unbeknown to Yoda the cost of time travel is the loss of all your memories and he has no idea he time traveled. He goes back in time roughly 900 years and following the Destiny we’ve already been witness to. 

On 11/15/2019 at 5:40 AM, Mercury33 said:

The music feels generic??? Tf??

The music has definitely started to grow on me... I see where they're going with futuristic western vibe. There's just enough hints of Sergio Leone in there that you can get spaghetti western vibes from it. I'm also starting to get some Lone Wolf and Cub vibes from this... curious to see if that's where they're going. Also i'm pretty sure we know what the best selling toy this Christmas will be.

Also based on what we see in Episode II, the Kaminoans just give the Jedi an army with no down payment and deliver it ten years later, no questions asked, to someone other than the person who ordered it after showing up unexpectedly, just dressed in the same clothes. A little blood sample from Yoda seems like a fair price for 2M+ clones :p

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's a clone guys. Pershing and the guys guarding baby Yoda have planet Kamino cloning company insiginias. I mean, it's related to cloning, c'mon now.

Lame, but I'll take it since the show is good. 

It could be misdirection...

:(