The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

I love that we live in a time where TV production values are pretty close to features. Even 20 years ago a Star Wars TV series would have looked way cheaper.

I will tune in.

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I love that we live in a time where TV production values are pretty close to features. Even 20 years ago a Star Wars TV series would have looked way cheaper.

I will tune in.

What show would have even had a comparable budget 20 years ago? Maybe Band of Brothers, which still holds up pretty well against most war movies. 

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Can they really keep up those high production values over 8 episodes?

Disney is playing to win, so, yes. Iger is committing whatever it takes to keep the production values as close to parity with the theatrical siblings as possible.

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

What show would have even had a comparable budget 20 years ago? Maybe Band of Brothers, which still holds up pretty well against most war movies. 

That is probably a good example of something that got near feature film budgeting. A more typical high budget TV production from the early 00s would be something like 24, which also holds up fairly well but they also shot half the show on the same set.

16 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The last couple of Star Wars movies have cost somewhere between $300-$350million for a 2.5 hour movie. It will be interesting to see how Star Wars translate to $120 million for 8 hours. 

The above the line cost on features have been significantly higher than that on TV series, and the below the line cost is significantly higher as well because the unions have negotiated higher rates for features vs TV. You may be surprised at how much of the difference is just from that. As the prestige of high end TV rises, we will see closer to parity between the two. This is actually another reason the studios are betting heavy on streaming right now because they can save a lot on production costs just due to the undervaluation of TV work vs feature work.

Disney has confirmed that Disney+ shows will be released weekly. I actually prefer this for major episodic content as a I think it lends itself towards in depth community reactions in a way that releasing the whole season at once just doesn’t.

26 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Disney has confirmed that Disney+ shows will be released weekly. I actually prefer this for major episodic content as a I think it lends itself towards in depth community reactions in a way that releasing the whole season at once just doesn’t.

Look, you are not wrong, but I literally couldn't give a fuck about the community discussion. Like, all the fucking water-cooler talk on reddit makes me sick. 

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Look, you are not wrong, but I literally couldn't give a fuck about the community discussion. Like, all the fucking water-cooler talk on reddit makes me sick. 

Well, if you don't want to talk about it, just wait until the whole thing is out so you can watch at your own pace. 

3 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Well, if you don't want to talk about it, just wait until the whole thing is out so you can watch at your own pace. 

Um, how it about it all comes out at once and the people who want to wait a week between every episode just do that? Keep your Reddit reasoning to yourself thanks. 

• Guillotine 1

13 minutes ago, Bacon said:

QQ

On 8/24/2019 at 5:29 PM, sblfilms said:

Yup. I listened to Game of Thrones podcasts and Breaking Bad podcasts but I don't listen to Mindhunter or Stranger Things podcasts. I'm actually pretty happy about this too.

I kinda prefer the week to week releases. I don’t dislike all at once though. There are so many shows I haven’t seen that I can still binge stuff. 

Plus us I enjoy talking about the shows week to week. With something like stranger things there’s not much discussion until you finish a season and then everybody moves on pretty quickly. 

5 hours ago, johnny said:

I kinda prefer the week to week releases. I don’t dislike all at once though. There are so many shows I haven’t seen that I can still binge stuff. 

Plus us I enjoy talking about the shows week to week. With something like stranger things there’s not much discussion until you finish a season and then everybody moves on pretty quickly. 

Exactly. I want to see a Mandolrian thread like we had for GoT.