The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

I saw The Last Jedi once in theaters with my friends. I was the only one who came out enjoying it. Perhaps it was because The Force Awakens was so disappointing that my enjoyment was heightened. But it was certainly a movie I enjoyed less the more I didn't see it and think about it. Sayswho is right, it is beautiful to look at which I think heightens the enjoyment and perhaps distract you from the fact nothing else about the movie is good.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

What superhero is he playing?

Kingo

200?cb=20200817122948
MARVELCINEMATICUNIVERSE.FANDOM.COM

Kingo is a cosmic-powered member of the community of genetically-engineered Eternals on Earth who is a skilled swordsman and a Bollywood movie star.12 1 Biography 2 Personality 3 Powers and Abilities 3.1 Powers 3.2 Abilities 4 Equipment 4.1 Weapons 4.2 Other Equipment 4.3 Vehicles 5 Facilities 6 Relationships 6.1 Allies 6.2 Enemies 7 Trivia 8 Behind the Scenes 9 References 10 External Links To be added...

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I saw The Last Jedi once in theaters with my friends. I was the only one who came out enjoying it. Perhaps it was because The Force Awakens was so disappointing that my enjoyment was heightened. But it was certainly a movie I enjoyed less the more I didn't see it and think about it. Sayswho is right, it is beautiful to look at which I think heightens the enjoyment and perhaps distract you from the fact nothing else about the movie is good.

It’s okay to be completely wrong and not see obvious successes in setups/payoffs and ability to construct arcs with multiple characters. :p 

16 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Good advice for you to adhere to.

That's why I take the route of the light side and recognize TLJ as the seminal achievement it is. :p 

But I don't even think you can quantify it as, "Only the cinematography is good." Then we're clearly not understanding the basics of character arcs, never mind some of the performances in the film or the music or being able to have actual payoffs instead of big moments that don't feel big.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

That's why I take the route of the light side and recognize TLJ as the seminal achievement it is. :p 

But I don't even think you can quantify it as, "Only the cinematography is good." Then we're clearly not understanding the basics of character arcs, never mind some of the performances in the film or the music.

I understand the arcs, but I don't like any of the characters. The music is always going to be good, the music was good in Episode 1, the worst star wars movie.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I understand the arcs, but I don't like any of the characters. The music is always going to be good, the music was good in Episode 1, the worst star wars movie.

It was "good," and Duel of the Fates is a wonderful piece, but it didn't have enough music that really hit those high points like, say, The Last Jedi or The Spark. What I mean by that is DOTF is fantastic but is clearly standalone and could be put anywhere. It doesn't have a ton of music that really goes exactly with the scene and ebbs and flows with what's happening on screen.

Liking the characters is subjective. The fact that multiple characters have clear arcs in one movie is an achievement; we don't have to pretend the movie isn't anything other than well made.

Just now, SaysWho? said:

It was "good," and Duel of the Fates is a wonderful piece, but it didn't have enough music that really hit those high points like, say, The Last Jedi or The Spark.

Liking the characters is subjective. The fact that multiple characters have clear arcs in one movie is an achievement; we don't have to pretend the movie isn't anything other than well made.

Crappy movies can be well made too.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Crappy movies can be well made too.

Then they're not crappy. A movie's not crappy because you didn't like the characters. I loved them, and on a critical level, both can't be true. What we do know is that this:

306gy82zjfm01.jpg?width=750&auto=webp&s=

is one of the most powerful moments in any of the movies because it's earned, and everything was put into place for that moment to matter.

• Guillotine 1

54 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I don't know that "multiple characters have arcs" is much of an achievement that automatically makes a film good. There are definitely bad movies with multiple character arcs.

Having just one arc is a basic building block of any movie that some movies can't handle (Phantom Menace, I can't figure out if it has any), but handling character arcs for many characters, with clear beginnings and ends, is not an easy feat or else anyone could do it. Yes, it is much of an achievement, and I feel underselling it means people are struggling to invent reasons why the film could be considered bad in any universe.

It's also one reason why ESB is much better than ROTJ even if the climax in ROTJ is much more emotional. Han's basically just there, Lando is just there, and Leia has a revelation but doesn't progress in the same way she did in ESB. ESB moves Luke, Han, Leia, and Lando, all of whom are different by the end of the film. ROTJ has two really good ones for Luke and Vader, but that's also why those scenes with the emperor are way more interesting than anything else in the film.

The character arc of Phantom Menace was Anakin was just some kid, and then he figured out he had powers by beating Sebubla in a race and then went to space and since he's the same guy across 3 moviess then he fell in love with Natalie Portman and killed a camp of dudes and was mad and killed younglings and became Darth Vader.

Wow a sweet little boy became the most famous movie villain.

10/10 masterpieces!

18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The character arc of Phantom Menace was Anakin was just some kid, and then he figured out he had powers by beating Sebubla in a race and then went to space and since he's the same guy across 3 moviess then he fell in love with Natalie Portman and killed a camp of dudes and was mad and killed younglings and became Darth Vader.

Wow a sweet little boy became the most famous movie villain.

10/10 masterpieces!

Image result for are you an angel gif star wars

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

It’s okay to be completely wrong and not see obvious successes in setups/payoffs and ability to construct arcs with multiple characters. :p 

Look, I agree its an amazingly shot, beautiful film, but its just not a good SW film. None of the trilogy is. The characters are mostly unlikable (including Luke, one of my all time favorites). I enjoyed Rey the most, but that's not saying a lot.

I know people love that he subverted expectations, but almost nobody wanted any of that. It's Star Wars, we want our heroes to be heroes, and villains to be villains. We want wonky aliens and interesting worlds, we wanted fun, not serious.

• Guillotine 1

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

Look, I agree its an amazingly shot, beautiful film, but its just not a good SW film. None of the trilogy is. The characters are mostly unlikable (including Luke, one of my all time favorites). I enjoyed Rey the most, but that's not saying a lot.

I know people love that he subverted expectations, but almost nobody wanted any of that. It's Star Wars, we want our heroes to be heroes, and villains to be villains. We want wonky aliens and interesting worlds, we wanted fun, not serious.

Can’t talk much atm (and I’m purposely extending the convo for Kal’s sake lol), but I found it to be very fun but also serious, same as ESB and ROTJ. It wasn’t constant sadness like Episode 3. And I loved all the characters.

As a film, it succeeds. As Star Wars, it excels because the other best film, ESB, succeeds oddly because it’s nothing like ANH. It’s more serious, it’s darker, but it moves the characters and creates a compelling film even though it doesn’t have a ton of plot.

4 hours ago, johnny said:

“it’s a good movie, but it’s not a good SW movie” is so fucking dumb. who gives a fucking shit. just say you don’t like it because it hurt your feelings. 

If thats what you got from that, you're being ridiculous. It was a bad trilogy that couldn't be saved by a good second movie, and carried nothing of SW except for the aesthetic. 

Star wars is supposed to be fun and campy, even at its darkest (ESB/RO). They tried to make serious sci-fi, and they ruined it. Hurt my feelings? You sound like a child. 

• Guillotine 1

41 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

If thats what you got from that, you're being ridiculous. It was a bad trilogy that couldn't be saved by a good second movie, and carried nothing of SW except for the aesthetic. 

Star wars is supposed to be fun and campy, even at its darkest (ESB/RO). They tried to make serious sci-fi, and they ruined it. Hurt my feelings? You sound like a child. 

Lmfaooooo 

51 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Lol nothing about TLJ was intended to be “serious sci-fi” 

Look we’ve been down this road a dozen times already. Let us skip to the inevitable end...

If you didn’t like TLJ that’s a bummer but we all like what we like 

If you think TLJ was a bad movie and you’re worried about bombs in space, then you are a complete and utter idiot whose opinion will be regarded as utter trash on all matters going forward. 

• Like 1
  • Guillotine 1

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I would say TLJ has a lot of SW camp. Probably more than Mando.

I mean, a regular complaint was that it was too silly 😂

16 minutes ago, ort said:

The never-ending Last Jedi shit is like this boards version of Godwin's law...

I mean if you want to we can get back on topic and talk about how how the only Star Wars actor who ACTUALLY got what resembles “canceling” the way chuds define it is Kelly Marie Tran... Carano made preposterous and offensive Holocaust comparisons that would get anyone fired from their job, then got fired from her job. KMT committed the crime of... being a character some people didn’t like (some of them... for REASONS) and was in principle written out of the sequel to TLJ because dudes online pouted very loudly.

• Guillotine 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I mean if you want to we can get back on topic and talk about how how the only Star Wars actor who ACTUALLY got what resembles “canceling” the way chuds define it is Kelly Marie Tran... Carano made preposterous and offensive Holocaust comparisons that would get anyone fired from their job, then got fired from her job. KMT committed the crime of... being a character some people didn’t like (some of them... for REASONS) and was in principle written out of the sequel to TLJ because dudes online pouted very loudly.

I'm glad at least KMT is voicing the main character in the new Disney animated movie. TRoS did her dirty. 

Man it's fucking BS how Tran and Boyega's characters played out. Everything got tossed out for Rey SkYwAlKeR.  I so wanted Finn to be a Jedi. I wanted him to be the new Luke so badly. From "villain" to resistance fighter to proper Jedi. Not gonna say he should have taken over Rey's slot, but IMO he should have been able to go man to man with Kylo. And while I never really liked Tran's character (I can't even remember her name) they could have easily made her better in EP9. Instead they literally fucking tossed her away. To me, that felt the same as making Snoke some two bit villain or saying Rey was a nobody. It just felt like a waste. And man, dude, Rey being a nobody would have been far fucking better than being a fucking Poopatine. Yeah, yeah, yeah, muh headcanon bullshit you people like to go on about, but damn Rey being the Nobody and finding out Finn was like the secret one night stand love child of Luke, or literally any other character would have been great IF they went down the Jedi route. 

Also, nearly all SW headcanon is better than what is in the films. I mean, in a way, look how awesome some of that shit is in the old EU. And all the Old Republic shit from BioWare. Nearly none of that shit is canon anymore but that stuff is far more interesting than the majority of the films. Man I'd love to see the BioWare style of Star Wars be turned into a movie. Or no, make it a Disney+ show. Fuck movies. Well, I say fuck movies, but Season 2 of Mando was only a bit longer than what is considered a long movie. If you cut out the credits and recap, what there is of actual show is around 4 hours and 40 minutes or just about two star wars movies. 

21 minutes ago, Bacon said:

To me, that felt the same as making Snoke some two bit villain or saying Rey was a nobody. It just felt like a waste.

how tf is that the same as Tran getting ignored in 9? Snoke actually has a role in the movie and furthers kylo’s development. Rey being a nobody furthers her own development (or it would have, if JJ didn’t completely blow it). Tran had like one line telling Finn she had to look over blueprints or something stupid. 

21 minutes ago, johnny said:

how tf is that the same as Tran getting ignored in 9? Snoke actually has a role in the movie and furthers kylo’s development. Rey being a nobody furthers her own development (or it would have, if JJ didn’t completely blow it). Tran had like one line telling Finn she had to look over blueprints or something stupid. 

Snoke turning out the way Snoke did was like throwing Snoke into the trash. And Tran's character got thrown into the trash as well. That is why it is the same to me. They were taking things and throwing them into the trash. That is how I feel about a lot of things in the sequels. They just keep tossing shit into the trash. 

9 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Lol nothing about TLJ was intended to be “serious sci-fi” 

Look we’ve been down this road a dozen times already. Let us skip to the inevitable end...

If you didn’t like TLJ that’s a bummer but we all like what we like 

If you think TLJ was a bad movie and you’re worried about bombs in space, then you are a complete and utter idiot whose opinion will be regarded as utter trash on all matters going forward. 

Oh, I don't give a damn about bombs falling in space. This trilogy just is not what I wanted from Star Wars.