The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

40 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Are you guys really arguing that a huge and clearly unintentional technical blunder that actually CHANGED the outcome of the fight is fine, because lul derrr Yoda talks funny and Palpatine can rip apart a senate chamber with his brain?

Is that really the argument you're gonna go with? Let's just absolve the filmmakers of any need for continuity because, hey, it's fiction?

Whoops, TLJ came out, better lower my standards!

It’s not a huge technical blunder, that’s the point. I appreciate that what is seen cannot be unseen here and everywhere but this truly doesn’t matter at all and pretending that it does is strange.

It’s like insisting that the face scanner in Mando make any kind of technical sense. Would it make that scene better? Yeah, probably. But the important thing is that Mando took off his mask, that’s what matters. Would that scene in TLJ be better without that goof? Yeah, sure. Is that scene still exciting, visually interesting, and compelling for the characters? Yes, and that’s the thing that matters the most.

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

Are you guys really arguing that a huge and clearly unintentional technical blunder that actually CHANGED the outcome of the fight is fine, because lul derrr Yoda talks funny and Palpatine can rip apart a senate chamber with his brain?

Is that really the argument you're gonna go with? Let's just absolve the filmmakers of any need for continuity because, hey, it's fiction?

Whoops, TLJ came out, better lower my standards!

did it change the outcome of the fight though? Do you think the original plan was that either Kylo or Rey were going to die in that fight, and when they watched the cut in editing said “whoops, well guess we’re going to have to film some extra scenes now since the outcome of the fight is different.”?

10 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

did it change the outcome of the fight though? Do you think the original plan was that either Kylo or Rey were going to die in that fight, and when they watched the cut in editing said “whoops, well guess we’re going to have to film some extra scenes now since the outcome of the fight is different.”?

Not what I meant. The choreography of the fight was changed as if the guard only had a single weapon, with no discernible explanation. It would have made it more complicated for Rey to win the fight otherwise, and arguably could have been more thrilling if she wasn't able to just steamroll over him.

The reason Luke's character may not make sense to some people in TLJ is because he didn't make sense in TFA.  It really is TFA's fault for fucking up Luke.  There's only two answers to the question TFA brings up, "Why is Luke missing?"  1 of these 2 answers:

1.  By choice.

2. Not by choice.

Obviously if TLJ chose to go with option 2, then that makes Luke fucking weak as shit and fans would complain even more.  Nobody is happy with 2.

But given the sub-options TLJ had with 1, I'm content with old, grumpy, disillusioned Luke as being the best, most interesting answer.  Although, sure, I would have liked there to be more reason for him hiding away than simply drawing his saber on Kylo. Like he found out some fucked up Jedi shit - that would have been great for the lore.  Perhaps he realizes, "Wait, the Jedi weren't allowed to be in love with somebody?  That's fucking stupid.  [I'm so attached to Han, Chewie, and Leia I would never give them up to follow this dumb, dogmatic religion.]"

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Although, sure, I would have liked there to be more reason for him hiding away than simply drawing his saber on Kylo. 

But... it wasn't just that. It was Kylo coming back and killing all of Luke's students and Kylo's fellow Padawans. He blamed himself for basically unleashing another Vader on the galaxy. It wasn't "just because he drew his saber". Kylo KILLED all of the other students.

39 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

But... it wasn't just that. It was Kylo coming back and killing all of Luke's students and Kylo's fellow Padawans. He blamed himself for basically unleashing another Vader on the galaxy. It wasn't "just because he drew his saber". Kylo KILLED all of the other students.

Yup, this.

6 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The reason Luke's character may not make sense to some people in TLJ is because he didn't make sense in TFA.  It really is TFA's fault for fucking up Luke.  There's only two answers to the question TFA brings up, "Why is Luke missing?"  1 of these 2 answers:

1.  By choice.

2. Not by choice.

Obviously if TLJ chose to go with option 2, then that makes Luke fucking weak as shit and fans would complain even more.  Nobody is happy with 2.

But given the sub-options TLJ had with 1, I'm content with old, grumpy, disillusioned Luke as being the best, most interesting answer.  Although, sure, I would have liked there to be more reason for him hiding away than simply drawing his saber on Kylo. Like he found out some fucked up Jedi shit - that would have been great for the lore.  Perhaps he realizes, "Wait, the Jedi weren't allowed to be in love with somebody?  That's fucking stupid.  [I'm so attached to Han, Chewie, and Leia I would never give them up to follow this dumb, dogmatic religion.]"

Exactly, the impetus behind Luke's exile in which he accidentally popped a saber boner and started an insurrection was never compelling. Furthermore, the decision to make him dig his heels in further only veered more away from everything known about his character. His final sacrifice in which he shows up but only as a force hologram and kills himself from showboating so hard was... Not satisfying.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Wait THAT'S the "disappearing weapon" I keep hearing about?! WHAT! In the words of my boy Wade, "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!"

Do i even want to watch? I started that video and turned it off when the guys started talking about how qualified he was as a "medieval fighting expert". HOW GIVES A SHIT??? It's a goddamned movie not a documentary

EDIT: I'm not watching that... 52 minutes for this guy to realize that thes are CHOREGRAPHED fightscenes where the combatants AREN'T really trying to hit each other... and there aren't real laser swords.

I unironically prefer the prequels over the sequels. I hate TLJ. But there really weren't any bad fight scenes in the sequels AFAIR. Feels a bit picky. Like, Disney could prolly easily fix the issues with CGI, but they don't because there isn't a point to. It wasn't like there was a crew member lingering in a shot. Even if they fixed the scene the people who don't like the move, like me, still wouldn't like the movie. This fight scene isn't what is preventing people from liking the the movie. 

Disney Hiding GIF by DAM

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Do i even want to watch? I started that video and turned it off when the guys started talking about how qualified he was as a "medieval fighting expert". HOW GIVES A SHIT??? It's a goddamned movie not a documentary

EDIT: I'm not watching that... 52 minutes for this guy to realize that thes are CHOREGRAPHED fightscenes where the combatants AREN'T really trying to hit each other... and there aren't real laser swords.

ESB has weapon continuity errors between takes that would change the end of the movie somewhat dramatically. This shit just doesn’t matter.

15 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There's so many gaps of the story we have to fill in ourselves, but Luke would have already made a decision to recluse before that event otherwise Luke would have tried to stop that from happening.

3 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

There's so many gaps of the story we have to fill in ourselves, but Luke would have already made a decision to recluse before that event otherwise Luke would have tried to stop that from happening.

I don't think Kylo "came back". I think Luke got crushed in the rubble and Kylo took himself and his Knights of Ren (probably his friends who he convinced right then and there) and slaughtered everyone else right then and there. Luke wakes up, goes: "I fucked up" and fucks off. It's quite easy to turn to the dark side and what Luke did pushed Kylo (who was already inclined towards it) to it, which is why Luke blames himself for everything that Kylo has done since. 

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't think Kylo "came back". I think Luke got crushed in the rubble and Kylo took himself and his Knights of Ren (probably his friends who he convinced right then and there) and slaughtered everyone else right then and there. Luke wakes up, goes: "I fucked up" and fucks off. It's quite easy to turn to the dark side and what Luke did pushed Kylo (who was already inclined towards it) to it, which is why Luke blames himself for everything that Kylo has done since. 

That's not what happened.

Skywalker eventually became aware of the darkness growing in his nephew as he observed glimpses during Solo's training. He went to his nephew's bedroom one evening to confront him, and found him asleep. Standing over his sleeping student, Skywalker reached out and sensed that Solo had already turned through Snoke's influence, and saw the death and destruction Solo would someday bring to everything Skywalker loved. The immediacy and severity of the threat caused the Jedi Master to instinctively draw his lightsaber, intending for a brief moment to kill his apprentice to prevent his vision from coming to pass, but the impulse vanished in an instant. Skywalker was immediately filled with shame and saw Solo had awakened to see his uncle standing over him with his lightsaber raised. Solo, unaware of the brevity of Skywalker's instinct, witnessed it long enough to fear for his life and realized what his uncle had seen in his mind. He panicked and drew his own lightsaber to strike his uncle first, but Skywalker quickly blocked his nephew's killing blow. In an act of desperation, Solo used the Force to collapse the entire hut on his master.[24]

Solo emerged from the ruins believing he had killed Skywalker, and he raged in anger and confusion over why his uncle had attacked him. The night sky was clear as Solo shouted questions and pointed his ignited lightsaber at the Jedi temple. His eyes changed to constricted pupils and irises clouded with red. He noticed matching red storm clouds had appeared above the temple just before lightning erupted from the clouds and set the buildings ablaze.[33] The fire that Solo started when he lashed out destroyed most of the students along with the temple,[7][34] which collapsed [29] and burned to the ground.[28] The lightning strike caused an explosion that knocked back Solo and scattered debris and the bodies of dead students. When Solo attempted to run inside the burning temple, he was thrown back by another explosion. He surveyed the death and destruction around him and said that he never wanted this. However, a voice inside of Solo's head told him that the fault lay not with himself, but rather with Skywalker and the Jedi.[33]

4 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

There's a comic series that details what happened. Kylo killed some that night and killed the rest later when they went after him against Luke's wishes. The Knights of Ren are not former pupils of Skywalker. They were acolytes of Snoke (Sidious)

latest?cb=20200120152934
STARWARS.FANDOM.COM

The Knights of Ren was an enclave of masked warriors who served Kylo Renmaster of the Knights of Ren and Supreme Leader of the First Orderduring the New Republic Era. They were neither Jedi nor Sith, but members of a new generation of Force-sensitive adepts that emerged to fill the void left by the demise of the last Sith Lords. Adhering to the ways of the Ren, a philosophy epitomized by the lightsaber, the Knights...

10 minutes ago, ort said:

Maybe we need an entire sub-forum dedicated soley to discussing Luke Skywalker / The Last Jedi.

No we don't... some folks just can't let that shit go for some reason.

ahsoka-din-beskar-spear.jpg
INSIDETHEMAGIC.NET

'Mandalorian' actor Pedro Pascal has confirmed that Season 3 of the series will jump timelines. Details from his new interview inside.

Wow Pedro Pascal SUCKS at keeping a secret! :p

But a timeline jump seems like the only way to see Grogu again.

11 hours ago, Reputator said:

So according to these guys, young Luke WAS in fact produced using deepfake, not a CG model. Just, not the best deepfake.

I just came here to see if anyone else has posted this. It sounds like Disney being Disney has been working on their own, home grown, deep fake software and not branching off all the work everyone else has done. That sounds like something Disney world do. I don't think Corridor's deep fake is perfect, but I do think it's more human-like. I do think they really nailed the eyes and expressions. He doesn't look as stiff. This is especially true for something they had a week to pull off. A part of me has to assume that Disney has the resources to find a young Mark Hamill lookalike to use as a stand-in on the set. If that's the case, this makes Corridor's efforts even more impressive.

• 3 weeks later...

I know they were probably grooming her to be the star of the new Disney Star Wars show Rangers of the New Republic, but yeah, just make a new character with a new actress to headline that and let her be forgotten. A shame, but she did it to herself. A shame because despite her limited acting ability, I enjoyed her in Haywire, Fast & Furious 6, Deadpool and The Mandalorian.

There is nothing more pathetic than listening to Trump supporting republicans complain about about stuff like this...

What?!?? ...you're complaining about people hating their political opponents? SHUT THE FUCK UP. How much lack of self awareness do these fucking Trump dipshits have?

What a stupid fucking idiot. She should take her idiotic nazi meme image and shove it up her stupid ignorant ass.

It sucks because she did so well and I loved her character. 

Rangers of the New Republic should just be the old X-Wing pilot and some new side characters doing whatever that has planned for it. Gina needs to either be let go or The Mouse needs to give her an ultimatum: Apologize and kill the social media and shut up as long as she's a Disney employee, or take off somewhere else.