The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

12 hours ago, Reputator said:

Hmmm I was always under the impression The Mandalorian took place shortly after Rebels.

11 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Rebels series is set 5-0 YBY while Mandalorian is 9 ABY. 

6 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I’d guess that given that Mandolorian is just about 10 years after Rebels...Ashoka is back, Thrawn has been mentioned, AND we saw those whale things as a kind of nod...Ezra makes a lot of sense.  But I agree that the kid will stay with Mando and any Jedi will be a cameo. I don’t think we see Grogu going down the full Jedi path. 

Seeing Cal would also be very cool and lend even more legitimacy to the that story being part of the Canon

That quest, we learn, is a search for the villain Grand Admiral Thrawn. The last time fans saw Ahsoka was this spring's finale of The Clone Wars, but in the actual Star Wars chronology, the last time we saw her was at the end ofRebels, venturing off with Sabine Wren to find Ezra Bridger, who vanished along with Thrawn. Where does that scene fit in with where we find her in The Mandalorian?

Filoni: Right. But no, it's an interesting one… That's not necessarily chronological. I think the thing that people will most not understand is they want to go in a linear fashion, but as I learned as a kid, nothing in Star Wars really works  in a linear fashion. You do [Episodes] Four, Five and Six and then One, Two, and Three. So in the vein of that history, when you look at the epilogue of Rebels you don't really know how much time has passed. So, it's possible that the story I'm telling in The Mandalorian actually takes place prior to that. Possible. I'm saying it's possible.

Rosario%2520Dawson%2520Ahsoka%2520Tano%2
WWW.VANITYFAIR.COM

The actress and writer-director Dave Filoni discuss bringing the animated hero to live-action, Baby Yoda’s name, and real-life controversies and influences.

I can't really make heads or tails of that. It doesn't make much sense, given that in Rebels we see Ashoka face off against Darth Vader one (presumably) last time, and during the events of The Mandalorian, the second Death Star is already blown up and Vader is gone.

I kinda feel like he said that just to tease and troll the fans a little to try and throw them off. At least until we see more evidence and an explanation that somehow causes it all to fit.

In Rebels, there's a 2 minute epilogue with Ashoka that is X amount of time after the rest of Rebels. We know that The Mandalorian is about 4-5 years after most of Rebels, but we don't know how long X is.  X could be 1-3 years or it could be 5-6 years, who knows.

Since Ashoka is looking for Thrawn who disappeared with Ezra, my guess is it's the later. She hears Thrawn is back, is looking for him, gets the info she needs from him somehow and then goes to bring Ezra back.

I wonder if they'll actually bring Thrawn into Mandalorian, or if they are only setting him up for a future cartoon again? Fuck, it's really too bad we didn't get him as the baddie in the ST. You could really even keep much of the same setup (with him convincing Ben to leave Luke, that only Thrawn could bring order, etc). And the tricks Thrawn uses to combat Jedi were interesting. A far better villain than Snoke and Palpatine for the ST.

19 hours ago, Reputator said:

I can't really make heads or tails of that. It doesn't make much sense, given that in Rebels we see Ashoka face off against Darth Vader one (presumably) last time, and during the events of The Mandalorian, the second Death Star is already blown up and Vader is gone.

I kinda feel like he said that just to tease and troll the fans a little to try and throw them off. At least until we see more evidence and an explanation that somehow causes it all to fit.

Yeah I know he says, “it’s possible,” but... I don’t really know how it is, unless something really weird happened. Some parts of the timing in the Rebels finale is a bit vague but I always assumed...

Spoiler

Sabine and Ahsoka went after Thrawn sometime after the second Death Star blew up? Sabine’s narration kinda implies that but I guess that’s not 100% confirmed.

On 12/6/2020 at 1:27 PM, Reputator said:

He’s just taking about the final scene in Rebels, where she’s leaving to go find Ezra. 

13 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

He’s just taking about the final scene in Rebels, where she’s leaving to go find Ezra. 

Yeah, I don’t think there’s anything in that scene that really indicates when it’s taking place, though it would be a little weird to have it be set after what we’re seeing on the Mandalorian.

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah, I don’t think there’s anything in that scene that really indicates when it’s taking place, though it would be a little weird to have it be set after what we’re seeing on the Mandalorian.

yeah other than knowing it happened after the second Death Star was destroyed, we never knew how much time had passed. 

It’s not that strange to be able to fit a show into a time gap like that. Heck most of the last two episodes of Clone Wars season 7 takes place DURING the events of the movie Episode 3. Except for the final scene which is estimated to being anywhere from

many months to years after that. 

Star Wars stories and timelines start to feel like pieces to a jigsaw puzzle. 

That was a HELLUVA episode!

If I had one word to describe this show it would be "confident", bordering on "supreme confidence" (yes, I know that's two words, but you get the point!).  This show is SO DAMNED SURE of what it is that its swagger practically oozes from the screen.

Hell, they even managed to throw in a little "political commentary" into this episode :lol:

9 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That was a HELLUVA episode!

If I had one word to describe this show it would be "confident", bordering on "supreme confidence" (yes, I know that's two words, but you get the point!).  This show is SO DAMNED SURE of what it is that its swagger practically oozes from the screen.

Hell, they even managed to throw in a little "political commentary" into this episode :lol:

Agreed 100%.

Honestly this is how I prefer Star Wars canon be approached. Respect the tone, worship the characters, and obey the rule of cool.

Someone explain to me the logic behind the Imperial terminal. You basically need to:

1) Have a visible face

2) Not be a clone, or someone like Luke Skywalker, I guess

3) No other criteria

It just doesn't matter.

Also the show knows how much everyone who watches it loves Grogu, and it makes its characters feel the same way which is so smart.

"Congrats on the new job. I need you to help me break someone out of prison."

"lolno my benefits haven't even kicked in yet"

"They took baby Yoda."

"Let's ride."

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Agreed 100%.

Honestly this is how I prefer Star Wars canon be approached. Respect the tone, worship the characters, and obey the rule of cool.

Someone explain to me the logic behind the Imperial terminal. You basically need to:

1) Have a face

2) Not be a clone, or someone like Luke Skywalker, I guess

3) No other criteria

It just doesn't matter.

Also the show knows how much everyone who watches it loves Grogu, and it makes its characters feel the same way which is so smart.

"Congrats on the new job. I need you to help me break someone out of prison."

"lolno my benefits haven't even kicked in yet"

"They took baby Yoda."

"Let's ride."

I honestly thought it suggested that he used to be Imperial because just a face requirement would be most silly.

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

I thought so too until Mando used it; Mando told the thirsty lady from season 1 he hasn't taken his helmet off in front of someone since he was a kid.

Maybe he wasn’t telling the truth?! I dunno. Or maybe I’m thinking too logically for a SW show.