The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

18 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

My guess is that Dawson did plenty of prep, but people involved in this production weren’t overly concerned with perfectly matching a different performance in a different medium. 

This. I can almost guarantee that a priority was not made out of matching move for move a cartoon character. 

28 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

This. I can almost guarantee that a priority was not made out of matching move for move a cartoon character. 

At the end of the day, Dawson made Ahsoka poses, facial expressions, and moves. Not all of it is perfectly consistent with what we saw in the cartoons, sure. But she looked fucking rad, the end.

11 hours ago, TheLeon said:

My guess is that Dawson did plenty of prep, but people involved in this production weren’t overly concerned with perfectly matching a different performance in a different medium. 

My guess is that folks ITT have no idea what it means to "mo-cap" a physical performance for live action. So much easier to do mo-cap performance for animation than the otherway around. Not worth the time, effort or expense when it is done solely for the reason pleasing nitpicking "fans" who, let's be honest, will NEVER BE PLEASED. The action in this episode was fine and Dawson did a great job as the character (an older version of the character, right?) I really hope we see more of her.

The show itself is doing such a good job of expanding the Star Wars mythos in ways the recent movies just weren't able to do, I hope Disney takes a break from actual theatrical releases and focus more on high production value series like this. LIVE ACTION series.

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

My guess is that folks ITT have no idea what it means to "mo-cap" a physical performance for live action. So much easier to do mo-cap performance for animation than the otherway around. Not worth the time, effort or expense when it is done solely for the reason pleasing nitpicking "fans" who, let's be honest, will NEVER BE PLEASED. The action in this episode was fine and Dawson did a great job as the character (an older version of the character, right?) I really hope we see more of her.

The show itself is doing such a good job of expanding the Star Wars mythos in ways the recent movies just weren't able to do, I hope Disney takes a break from actual theatrical releases and focus more on high production value series like this. LIVE ACTION series.

I hope we get more animated series, live action series and theatrical movies which are supposed to be set away from the Skywalker saga.

53 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Just found out that the Magistrate from this most recent episode is Bruce Lee's real life god daughter :shock:

Who-Plays-The-Magistrate-In-The-Mandalor
SCREENRANT.COM

Mandalorian actress has a connection to Bruce Lee.

They are NAILING the casting on this show.

I KNEW she had to be someone!

On 11/28/2020 at 5:34 PM, Reputator said:

dwNGCYj.jpeg

Reveal hidden contents

Any American Dad fans here?

I haven't watched the Mandalorian, but I saw Baby Yoda's name and had to wonder if anyone else thought it was a funny coincidence that AD has a diminutive alien who speaks in broken English named Rogu :lol:

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Any American Dad fans here?

I haven't watched the Mandalorian, but I saw Baby Yoda's name and had to wonder if anyone else thought it was a funny coincidence that AD has a diminutive alien who speaks in broken English named Rogu :lol:

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

My fiancé said the same thing. At first she went “wait, isn’t Grogu the name of Roger’s tumor-baby in American Dad?”

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Well that was awesome!

Sooo the Dark Troopers are Robots? Based on their need of baby Yoda I assumed they were going to be like special forces that could use the force a bit. Like Inquisitors but more on the soldier side than sith side. 

Droids. 

In Legends, Dark Trooper Phase 1 were droids. But there was a Phase 2 and Phase 3 with more power and abilities. 

54 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Also, another example of the show leaning on the films and cleaning them up: the way they handled any questions about how Jango/Boba fit the new cannon surrounding Mandalorian culture was so deftly done (I bet Pablo Hidalgo is a big reason why).

Yeah, a BUNCH of retconning done with a few sentences in this ep.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

So speculation...

Reveal hidden contents

It could only be him. Otherwise you'd have to try and make Luke look 30, which involves technology that's probably too expensive for a single episode or two, and a bigger surprise like Mace Windu is just too farfetched.

Someone also suggested the guy from Fallen Order, which I have not played and know nothing about. But I think that would be a lot less exciting for a lot of people.

4 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

So speculation...

Hide contents

The Jedi that Asohka sent them towards is going to be Ezra, yeah?  What are the chances they got Mark Hamil and have kept it secret, or they get him for next or future season?

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

It could only be him. Otherwise you'd have to try and make Luke look 30, which involves technology that's probably too expensive for a single episode or two, and a bigger surprise like Mace Windu is just too farfetched.

Someone also suggested the guy from Fallen Order, which I have not played and know nothing about. But I think that would be a lot less exciting for a lot of people.

Filloni in an interview alluded to Mandalorian and the end of Rebels not being in chronological order. This would imply that Mandalorian takes place before that final scene in Rebels where Ashoka goes off to find Ezra. 

so while not impossible, I’d say it is improbable.  Unless maybe it is Grogu that sets Ashoka on a path to finding Ezra. 

I’d guess that given that Mandolorian is just about 10 years after Rebels...Ashoka is back, Thrawn has been mentioned, AND we saw those whale things as a kind of nod...Ezra makes a lot of sense.  But I agree that the kid will stay with Mando and any Jedi will be a cameo. I don’t think we see Grogu going down the full Jedi path. 

Seeing Cal would also be very cool and lend even more legitimacy to the that story being part of the Canon

• Like 1