The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

Rebels is wonderful storytelling. There are a few eps that are pretty kiddy, but it gets into some really dramatic stuff. I think you'll enjoy it. 

Wife and I binged 8 episodes immediately after Mandolorian. First 6 episodes we were like “ok I get why people like this. It’s a really well made kids show.” Then we hit that two parter in the middle of the season 😳 that was our “OH SHIT now we get the hype” moment.  

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

Yeah, I never watched the animated series and I really like this EP. For the 3 of you who watched the animated series what is your opinion of Dawson as Ahsoka? I don't really have one. 

Dawson was rad. Only bummer was Ashley Eckstein not playing her since her voice is iconic and the VA who played Bo-Katan got to play her IRL also. But again, you can't fuck with Rosario Dawson so whatever.

10 hours ago, CayceG said:

After the season is over, I'll probably binge the first two seasons to take it all in again. 

I recommended a buddy of mine watch it--he's been meaning to, just hasn't gotten around to it. But before he does, I said he should watch all 4 seasons of Rebels. Personally, I think Mandalorian becomes more rich in detail and depth if you have the knowledge of Rebels. It can be appreciated more, but it can clearly standalone. 

I am genuinely excited and feel like whatever happens next will be a complete surprise. 

Reveal hidden contents

The Thrawn namedrop changed the ENTIRE game. 

Rebels spoilers:

Spoiler

I dunno that it changes things beyond what we knew once Ahsoka was cast. She and Sabine left to look for Ezra, Ezra look off with Thrawn. As far as we know, the only Jedi really active at this time would be Ahsoka, Ezra, and Luke. Seems... unlikely that they'll end up pulling Luke when Grogu ends up using the Force per Ahsoka's instructions, maybe Ezra will show up. It seems unlikely that Ahsoka would just... not pay attention to what happens there just because she won't train someone, especially when last we saw, she's looking for one of the only remaining Force sensitive people she knows to be alive. Who knows! Pumped regardless.

If Djarin doesn't use that beskar spear to make a better bluetooth egg for Grogu I'm going to lose my shit.

I'm trying to suss out the timing and try to work out how Ahsoka wouldn't have known of Grogu. She was involved with training younglings and the window between when she left the Jedi order and when Order 66 happened isn't huge. Not impossible, but what, a couple years during the Clone Wars?

Grogu being at the Jedi temple makes it seem unlikely that he's a clone, as cloning Jedi doesn't seem like something the order would be into. Yoda is also pretty overtly anti-fucking. Not like it'd be the first time he'd be hypocritical about something, but that'd be a big one, and I dunno that Filoni would go there. Hmm.

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

I'm content to have the origins of Yoda's species a mystery. It's not something we need to know and one of those elements that nerds will obsess over and end up ruining the magic of the mystery. 

Nerds over obsessing over minutia and ruining things?  In Star Wars?  Nah.

5 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Whelp this latest episode finally pushed me over the edge. 5 episodes into Rebels

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Wife and I binged 8 episodes immediately after Mandolorian. First 6 episodes we were like “ok I get why people like this. It’s a really well made kids show.” Then we hit that two parter in the middle of the season 😳 that was our “OH SHIT now we get the hype” moment.  

I was going to say the first part of the first season is enjoyable.  But after the introductions and orientation, it takes off and stays high.  There are a few breather episodes, but they still maintain excellent quality and the show usually ties-in a callback reference in later episodes.

4 hours ago, Joe said:

So watching Clone Wars and Rebels is a good idea I guess to enhance this show a bit? Can I skip Clone Wars and go into Rebels or nah?

I haven't watched much of Clone Wars and had no trouble following things. As long as you have a basic understanding of the main characters from Clone Wars, you're good. Rebels is the more critical show to see, I'd say.

14 hours ago, Joe said:

So watching Clone Wars and Rebels is a good idea I guess to enhance this show a bit? Can I skip Clone Wars and go into Rebels or nah?

You could theoretically just watch any of the Clone Wars episodes with Asohka and Mandalore and be fine for The Mandalorian, but you will miss out on some backstory for Rebels with some other characters that show up.  Clone Wars didn't have as strong of an overarching plot like Rebels and The Mandalorian has, but as the series went on it started referencing previous events more and more.  Episodes were pretty self-sustaining because it focused on a bigger cast of characters and their stories, and those stories didn't really mix with other ones, especially at the beginning.

The series finale of Clone Wars, which takes place right before Revenge of the Sith, is amazing and a top 3 Star Wars movie.

On 11/28/2020 at 1:02 PM, Bacon said:

Yeah, I never watched the animated series and I really like this EP. For the 3 of you who watched the animated series what is your opinion of Dawson as Ahsoka? I don't really have one. 

Yes. I am upset it wasn't Yogu.

I liked Dawson’s overall acting as the character. However she isn’t nearly close enough in her fight training. I dunno, maybe it was a choice to choreograph her that way, but it her swings were too wild. Like she was throwing every swing. 

They’ve used the actress in Mandalorian that did the Motion captured Ashoka in her fight in Maul in the last season of Clone Wars. I think they could have utilized her again here. Though I’d also heard that this episode was a proof of concept for audiences to see if they liked Dawson enough in the role to do a full spin off show for Ashoka. 

I say yes, but please work on her saber skills. Not just in melee combat, but also when deflecting blaster bolts. 

• Guillotine 1

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I liked Dawson’s overall acting as the character. However she isn’t nearly close enough in her fight training. I dunno, maybe it was a choice to choreograph her that way, but it her swings were too wild. Like she was throwing every swing. 

They’ve used the actress in Mandalorian that did the Motion captured Ashoka in her fight in Maul in the last season of Clone Wars. I think they could have utilized her again here. Though I’d also heard that this episode was a proof of concept for audiences to see if they liked Dawson enough in the role to do a full spin off show for Ashoka. 

I say yes, but please work on her saber skills. Not just in melee combat, but also when deflecting blaster bolts. 

You know who was even worse? That damn actor who played Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars IV-VI! The actor who played the character in I-III had far superior lightsaber skills! They really dropped the ball on that choice!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

You know who was even worse? That damn actor who played Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars IV-VI! The actor who played the character in I-III had far superior lightsaber skills! They really dropped the ball on that choice!

that’s...not even remotely the same. Alec Guinness didn’t use a lightsaber in V or VI. The style of lightsaber combat George envisioned for IV was changed by even V. For Episode I - III he wanted the combat to be faster, more fluid, to show Jedi in their prime. 

Ashoka has fought in two animated shows, where they even utilized a motion capture actress for her in season 7. Rosario Dawson’s portrayal isn’t the genesis of the character or our first time seeing her fighting style, speed, and skill. 

I don’t think Dawson was a bad choice for Ashoka. I just think they didn’t do a great job showing Ashoka to be a life long martial artist, forged in war, who’s technique has been refined over decades. I doubt Dawson had the same amount of time to train and practice the choreography as Christensen and McGregor for each of their fights, especially their Mustafar duel. 

19 minutes ago, tbca said:

I guess it is a good thing I never watched the cartoons so I could just sit back and enjoy that really great episode, including the action scenes.

I didn't really have a frame of reference for Ahsoka either, so I was able to enjoy the episode quite well.

19 minutes ago, tbca said:

I guess it is a good thing I never watched the cartoons so I could just sit back and enjoy that really great episode, including the action scenes.

HIGHLY recommend you go back and watch Rebels. It's great at expanding the story of the Rebellion. 

32 minutes ago, tbca said:

it’s a good thing for me I am able to really enjoy something while seeing areas of opportunity for improvement. And having watched the cartoons provided an incredible amount of context to this episode making me feel really rewarded for being a fan. 

you should watch them. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

it’s a good thing for me I am able to really enjoy something while seeing areas of opportunity for improvement. And having watched the cartoons provided an incredible amount of context to this episode making me feel really rewarded for being a fan. 

you should watch them. 

You weren't describing an opportunity for improvement, you were complaining that the live action fighting was different than the cartoon. "The book was better" logic.

11 minutes ago, tbca said:

You weren't describing an opportunity for improvement, you were complaining that the live action fighting was different than the cartoon. "The book was better" logic.

When they wanted Maul in the animated show to move more like Maul in the movie they brought in Rey Park to motion capture. They had a motion capture actress for Ashoka. Now physically and being able to deliver lines she may not be right for a Ashoka compared to Dawson, but she can body double in in scenes where face is not clear and even better practice and train with Dawson.

It’s not “x was better”. It’s they have the tools to present it better. Maybe they didn’t have the time for this episode, but if the Ashoka series comes to fruition with Dawson I hope they can make good use of the time. 

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

When they wanted Maul in the animated show to move more like Maul in the movie they brought in Rey Park to motion capture. They had a motion capture actress for Ashoka. Now physically and being able to deliver lines she may not be right for a Ashoka compared to Dawson, but she can body double in in scenes where face is not clear and even better practice and train with Dawson.

It’s not “x was better”. It’s they have the tools to present it better. Maybe they didn’t have the time for this episode, but if the Ashoka series comes to fruition with Dawson I hope they can make good use of the time. 

If you didn't think the cartoon did it better you wouldn't be suggesting ways to fix it.

Just a thought:

We're getting another season of Gallery after this and they're sure to go into the casting of Ahsoka and the preparation Rosario Dawson did. It might be that all of the prep we say didn't happen might just have happened. Or, it might be that the mocap lady that did Ahsoka for Clone Wars Season 7 wasn't available. 

8 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Just a thought:

We're getting another season of Gallery after this and they're sure to go into the casting of Ahsoka and the preparation Rosario Dawson did. It might be that all of the prep we say didn't happen might just have happened. Or, it might be that the mocap lady that did Ahsoka for Clone Wars Season 7 wasn't available. 

My guess is that Dawson did plenty of prep, but people involved in this production weren’t overly concerned with perfectly matching a different performance in a different medium.