The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

2 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

All I said was that we got to see droids get cut but not the humans/humanoids, and it stuck out. I'm not looking for gore or excess violence here. But even the Jedi Outcast game animated bright orange saber slashes across the Storm Troopers chests when they got cut, and we didn't see anything happen to the soldiers at all. The blatant avoidance of reasonable Star Wars violence stuck out like a sore thumb....

You and johnny and Remarkable are just gonna have to accept that your blind love for Disney / blind hate for any reasonable criticisms against Star Wars are all your own issues, and no one else's outside of this forum.

This is such a weird criticism. I don't understand why this stylistic choice is such a massive deal. 

I just watched Yojimbo for the first time and it tilts back and forth between blatant severed limbs and blood spray and wild swinging swordfights with no apparent blood whatsoever. It's not a problem. 

15 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

If Ahsoka wasn't in this, then the episode was merely a decent one.

I never watched Rebels or Clone Wars or whatever show she’s in, and I know nothing about the character except her name/look and that she was Anakin’s padawan or something. The episode was one of, if not the, best in the series so far.

• Thanks 1

After the season is over, I'll probably binge the first two seasons to take it all in again. 

I recommended a buddy of mine watch it--he's been meaning to, just hasn't gotten around to it. But before he does, I said he should watch all 4 seasons of Rebels. Personally, I think Mandalorian becomes more rich in detail and depth if you have the knowledge of Rebels. It can be appreciated more, but it can clearly standalone. 

I am genuinely excited and feel like whatever happens next will be a complete surprise. 

Spoiler

The Thrawn namedrop changed the ENTIRE game. 

9 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

All I said was that we got to see droids get cut but not the humans/humanoids, and it stuck out. I'm not looking for gore or excess violence here. But even the Jedi Outcast game animated bright orange saber slashes across the Storm Troopers chests when they got cut, and we didn't see anything happen to the soldiers at all. The blatant avoidance of reasonable Star Wars violence stuck out like a sore thumb....

You and johnny and Remarkable are just gonna have to accept that your blind love for Disney / blind hate for any reasonable criticisms against Star Wars are all your own issues, and no one else's outside of this forum.

Lol no, it doesn’t. It only would stick out to people who are desperately looking for it to be there. You must have been super pissed when Vader took down Obi Wan and he just disappeared instead of his entrails falling out all over the floor. 

And to think this was a C level episode based on just the episode structure alone? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I know he isn't asking for blood and guts, but it's still pretty wild to me that someone can watch an episode like this and keep a tally of the specific ways characters are dispatched. That really sounds like someone who is actively looking for reasons to dunk on this show. I really don't feel like the action in this show is out of line with the movies at all, but I guess it was hard for me to really focus on it since I was busy jerking it to the Disney logo. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Joe said:

I dunno about you guys, but the Ahsoka battle with the Magistrate was one of the coolest duels I’ve seen in all of Star Wars. 

What stuck out to me was that Ahsoka's sabers are clearly practical effects. Obviously with CGI enhancements, but they didn't fake that white light, the reflection in the pond, and so on. So they developed some heavy duty, bright saber props that she can actually fight with, which is really cool.

Yeah, I never watched the animated series and I really like this EP. For the 3 of you who watched the animated series what is your opinion of Dawson as Ahsoka? I don't really have one. 

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

Nobody wants to talk about "Grogu"?

Yes. I am upset it wasn't Yogu.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Reputator said:

What stuck out to me was that Ahsoka's sabers are clearly practical effects. Obviously with CGI enhancements, but they didn't fake that white light, the reflection in the pond, and so on. So they developed some heavy duty, bright saber props that she can actually fight with, which is really cool.

They actually did that in the ST as well!

37 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yeah, I never watched the animated series and I really like this EP. For the 3 of you who watched the animated series what is your opinion of Dawson as Ahsoka? I don't really have one. 

Dawson was perfect for a mature Ahsoka. I miss Ashley Eckstein's voice, but she's like 5 feet tall, so she absolutely wouldn't have worked in terms of acting as Ahsoka in live action. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joe said:

I dunno about you guys, but the Ahsoka battle with the Magistrate was one of the coolest duels I’ve seen in all of Star Wars. 

Agreed. I loved it. This and the throne room from TLJ are the best two lightsaber fights since the OT (don’t count the cartoon stuff) 

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Clearly inspired by classic Samurai films and more specifically for me, the Duel between The Bride and O-ren in the first Kill Bill.

That’s exactly what I thought. The samurai influence was fantastic. I love those straight line duels. 

Also I watched it a second time. There are sparks that fly up every time she hits a trooper with a saber. So saying nothing happens to acknowledge the hit seems a bit much. 

28 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

That’s exactly what I thought. The samurai influence was fantastic. I love those straight line duels. 

Also I watched it a second time. There are sparks that fly up every time she hits a trooper with a saber. So saying nothing happens to acknowledge the hit seems a bit much. 

Which is EXACTLY what they did in the OT... such a goofy "critique".

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Was Yaddie still around by the time Ashoka came on the scene?

Not really, according to wookieepedia.

Following the Battle of Naboo, Yaddle decided to take a less active role in Jedi affairs[8] and she had stepped down from the Council by the time of the Clone Wars.[9]

2 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I don't have much of an opinion on the name. On the grand scale of Star Wars names, it's right in the middle. 

I guess it could be worse, but still..."Gorgu". Feels like I'm choking on trying to say "Goku" trying to get it out. 

• Haha 1