The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way; update: Season 2 out now!

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This week episode was one of the most "Star Wars-y" things I've seen in a long time including the recent films. Felt so much like the original trilogy I had pangs of nostallgia watching it. They are really hitting their stride with this show and the production values are amazing. This is what, epiosde three or four?

I love how there's consistently zero evidence of designing for safety in the Star Wars universe. I know stuff like long bridges with no guardrails is something you get throughout sci-fi but it's really fucking pervasive in Star Wars. :lol:

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I love how there's consistently zero evidence of designing for safety in the Star Wars universe. I know stuff like long bridges with no guardrails is something you get throughout sci-fi but it's really fucking pervasive in Star Wars. :lol:

I chalked that up to the Empire simply not giving a fuck :lol: 

or that Droids probably perform most of those functions so there's no need for safety measures.

As much as I dislike the prequels and RoS, it’s cool...

Spoiler

...that the show is now bridging the two in terms of cloning tech. 

It makes me appreciate RoS a *little* more. I still think it’s barely above AotC as one of the worst films, but that detail at least makes some of its plot choices a bit more palatable. 

On 11/20/2020 at 11:01 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

This week episode was one of the most "Star Wars-y" things I've seen in a long time including the recent films. Felt so much like the original trilogy I had pangs of nostalgia watching it. They are really hitting their stride with this show and the production values are amazing. This is what, episde three or four?

They're REALLY making this seem really quite effortless in comparison to the films.

"Guys, it's not all that challenging to make compelling Star Wars content!  Where the hell did it go so VERY wrong for you all?"

• Upvote 3
On 11/21/2020 at 11:57 AM, Chris- said:

Reveal hidden contents

It makes me appreciate RoS a *little* more. I still think it’s barely above AotC as one of the worst films, but that detail at least makes some of its plot choices a bit more palatable. 

I have a different take:

Spoiler

The cloning thing is only in service of what was revealed at the end of the episode:

The Dark Troopers. 

If you aren't familiar, Dark Troopers appeared in the Star Wars video game "Dark Forces," a Doom clone on DOS in the early days. The plot revolved around you chasing down clues and eventually dealing with a new genetically engineered super storm trooper in a powered exosuit called Dark Troopers. The most advanced phase of Dark Trooper included some force sensitivities to tap into the Dark Side. 

THAT is what Moff Gideon is doing, and that's what the genetics lab was for. And that's why they want the Child. 

I don't necessarily think this is meant to tie into the Snoke clones from TROS. People are making the link because they saw a body in a jar. That's it. I think it'll wind up being Dark Trooper stuff as opposed to the fledgling clone effort Palpatine used. 

3 hours ago, CayceG said:

I have a different take:

Hide contents

The cloning thing is only in service of what was revealed at the end of the episode:

The Dark Troopers. 

If you aren't familiar, Dark Troopers appeared in the Star Wars video game "Dark Forces," a Doom clone on DOS in the early days. The plot revolved around you chasing down clues and eventually dealing with a new genetically engineered super storm trooper in a powered exosuit called Dark Troopers. The most advanced phase of Dark Trooper included some force sensitivities to tap into the Dark Side. 

THAT is what Moff Gideon is doing, and that's what the genetics lab was for. And that's why they want the Child. 

I don't necessarily think this is meant to tie into the Snoke clones from TROS. People are making the link because they saw a body in a jar. That's it. I think it'll wind up being Dark Trooper stuff as opposed to the fledgling clone effort Palpatine used. 

Correct 

On 11/21/2020 at 12:57 PM, Chris- said:

Reveal hidden contents

...that the show is now bridging the two in terms of cloning tech. 

Yeah I really agree with this. Listen to any interview with Filoni about Star Wars and his reverence for all of Lucas’ contributions, prequels included, is obvious. The Mandalorian being set at a time where he and Favreau can riff off Lucas material and Filoni’s own without really having to dabble in sequel stuff is smart of them and allows them to functionally ignore any non-Lucas canon. 

I’m genuinely curious if we’ll ever get any real teases of The First Order or anything like it eventually. 

10 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah I really agree with this. Listen to any interview with Filoni about Star Wars and his reverence for all of Lucas’ contributions, prequels included, is obvious. The Mandalorian being set at a time where he and Favreau can riff off Lucas material and Filoni’s own without really having to dabble in sequel stuff is smart of them and allows them to functionally ignore any non-Lucas canon. 

I’m genuinely curious if we’ll ever get any real teases of The First Order or anything like it eventually. 

Favreau has said that The Mandalorian is set five years after the fall of the Empire in Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983) and 25 years before the rise of the First Order, the authoritarian regime that is firmly in control of the galaxy when Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015) begins.

mandalorian-disney-plus.png?w=1200&h=628
TIME.COM

The new Star Wars TV series is now streaming on Disney+

12 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think we already have with this previous episode.

The post-RotJ novels describe how the remnants of the Empire fled into the Unknown Regions where they began to reconstitute as the First Order.  The New Republic pilot said that they're investigating things happening in the Outer Rim which could be indicative that overall effort.