The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

11 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I think Bacon's been spoiled by Netflix's dump and binge strategy. 

Yeah, and? That doesn't make the "old ways" better. Just because something was always done that way over this way doesn't make it better. Everyone loves change, right? Well, guess not cuz as soon as it went back to the old shitty way you have D1P eating the shit straight from the mouse's asshole. 

Edit: I want to add, I am going way to hard with this when I don't care nearly as much as it seems. I am not actually trying to "get into it." 

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yeah, and? That doesn't make the "old ways" better. Just because something was always done that way over this way doesn't make it better. Everyone loves change, right? Well, guess not cuz as soon as it went back to the old shitty way you have D1P eating the shit straight from the mouse's asshole. 

Why are you mad that people have opinions?

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

You seem to be very hostile towards people that enjoy a show in a different way from you. 

I don't mean to be judgy about you liking to binge. But whatever you may think about Disney or the Star Wars franchise, don't take it out on people like us in this thread that genuinely enjoy the stuff. 

I don't think this show would have gotten as much sustained buzz without the weekly release schedule. Look at Netflix, even Stranger Things buzz dies off pretty quickly after a season drops. Plus, season one of Mandalorian came out when the "water cooler conversation" was still possible.

It's clear the reason the reason Disney+ does this is because they have so little new content, and this gives the perception that you are using the service more than you actually are...

That said, I am fine with the weekly release schedule, because I am watching it with my kids.  I can't binge it anyways.

To me, the narrative feels a lot like my memory of those old 70s/80s TV shows where there was an overall mission that never gets resolved, but each show is near a stand-alone story told in the overall narrative (i.e. The Fugitive).

Edit:  (I should have said 60s/70s/80s -- 'cause the Fugitive was from the 60s.)

The thing is, if you want to, you can totally binge a show that releases on a weekly schedule. I do it all the time... I waited until The Boys season 2, Lovecraft Country, Raised By Wolves and a couple of other shows had about five episodes released before I even started watching them. Doing the same with Fargo now. If you prefer to watch a show in a lump, you can totally do it. I don't get why having options is a bad thing and why acknowledging that makes some one a "corporate shill" :shrug: According to our President, Tivo is the best invention ever :lol:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It's clear the reason the reason Disney+ does this is because they have so little new content, and this gives the perception that you are using the service more than you actually are...

That said, I am fine with the weekly release schedule, because I am watching it with my kids.  I can't binge it anyways.

To me, the narrative feels a lot like my memory of those old 70s/80s TV shows where there was an overall mission that never gets resolved, but each show is near a stand-alone story told in the overall narrative (i.e. The Fugitive).

Edit:  (I should have said 60s/70s/80s -- 'cause the Fugitive was from the 60s.)

CBS is blatantly dripping new Star Trek content with the intention of basically having a new Star Trek episode 52 weeks a year to keep people subscribing, and that was their strategy even before COVID caused the new content pipeline to dry up. I think the All Access numbers fell off hard after Discovery season 1 ended. But it can be both a money grab and a better way to release the content, binging can be fun, but my memory from the middle of the binge always blurs. The one time dropping everything may be better is if there's flaws in the content--I remember people suggesting that Stranger Things season 1 benefited from not having time to stop and think about any issues with it, for instance.

52 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The thing is, if you want to, you can totally binge a show that releases on a weekly schedule. I do it all the time... I waited until The Boys season 2, Lovecraft Country, Raised By Wolves and a couple of other shows had about five episodes released before I even started watching them. Doing the same with Fargo now. If you prefer to watch a show in a lump, you can totally do it. I don't get why having options is a bad thing and why acknowledging that makes some one a "corporate shill" :shrug: According to our President, Tivo is the best invention ever :lol:

The question becomes do these services eventually start moving to lock you in for more than a month at a time to keep people from subbing for a month to binge something and then bailing. I guess it depends on whether they think they're better off betting on people forgetting to cancel vs charging a higher upfront price but risking scaring people off from subscribing at all.

All of the Premium cable channels dealt with this... HBO used to get a surge in subscriptions when a new season of the Sopranos would start and then see cancellations  when the season concluded. Same with their other popular even shows like Sex in the City, True Blood and of COURSE Game of Thrones. What they started doing was having enough content to keep folks subscribed, but they always knew there would be ebb and flows in subs as their more popular shows were running. I don't think the streaming thing is much different exceot they have packages that allow you to pay for say a year upfront at a reduced cost. I think I'm paid for Diseny Plus until next year. My free year of Apple TV has been extended until February (It was supposed to expire last month)

What's to stop someone from waiting until all of the episodes of the Mandalorian are up, subscribing for a month, watching them all and then canceling? 

can you imagine game of thrones dumping its episodes all at once? it would have been a huge mistake. That show was appointment viewing every Sunday. You HAD to watch it because everybody at work was going to talk about it. 

What's annoying about releasing them all at once is you're never in the same spot as other people. You want to talk to them about the show but you're two episodes ahead of them so you have to be careful not to say too much or the person just doesnt want to talk about it at all until they finish. 

5 minutes ago, johnny said:

can you imagine game of thrones dumping its episodes all at once? it would have been a huge mistake. That show was appointment viewing every Sunday. You HAD to watch it because everybody at work was going to talk about it. 

What's annoying about releasing them all at once is you're never in the same spot as other people. You want to talk to them about the show but you're two episodes ahead of them so you have to be careful not to say too much or the person just doesnt want to talk about it at all until they finish. 

What's ironic is that I got hooked on GOT after HBO did one of their weekend marathons they used to do to get folks hooked on new shows. I think like six episodes were out at the time. I got hooked on The Wire and Boardwalk Empire the same way.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What's to stop someone from waiting until all of the episodes of the Mandalorian are up, subscribing for a month, watching them all and then canceling? 

Making you sub for one month at a time.

I know you said you don't think they'll do it...but that's obviously how they'd do it if they decided they wanted to stop people from doing that.

I like that they made Mando part of a Mandalorian cult. It really sidesepts any issues with Mando's way and what we've seen of Mandalorians elsewhere in Star Wars. It also nicely complicates his relationships with other Mandalorians.

That's not something that we've learned before, is it?

24 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

how can you go wrong?

Because it is all cheese and nothing else. I have gotten these before:

product_Applewood_Bacon,_Egg_&_Cheese_11

It is a fucking lie and an insult . The bread was paler than the fucking moon as tasted like ass. You can't even taste the bacon or the egg. It is just a shitty cheese slurry, like most hot pockets and it is gross. 

48 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I like that they made Mando part of a Mandalorian cult. It really sidesepts any issues with Mando's way and what we've seen of Mandalorians elsewhere in Star Wars. It also nicely complicates his relationships with other Mandalorians.

Nope! Completely new and it was a wonderful surprise to see coming Bo Katan--as people potentially familiar with her would trust her word. 

3 hours ago, johnny said:

Yes

My wife and I watched Season 1-5 , 3-4 episodes every night leading up to 6. In fact she would get irritated by the Sunday drop on new season because she wanted more.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I got hooked on The Wire

When I changed jobs I had 16 weeks paid time and the first thing I did was main line The Wire all day until it was finished and a month later I did it again.

Hell 1 day I laid in bed and and watched every episode of the New Pope.

17 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Not explicitly, no. We know there have been groups of Mandalorians who resisted Mandalore’s more recent attempts at peace and preferred the old, militant / warrior culture ways. But even those Mandalorians took their helmets off, when they were run by Maul, modified their helmets to look like his horns, etc.

So yeah, I agree with you that they’re getting a ton of mileage out of Djarin being adopted by a splinter sect of Mandalorians. The minor feud with Bo-Katan was rad. I suspect that something similar will happen when he runs into Ahsoka, since (spoilers for Clone Wars and Rebels)...

Spoiler

Djarin is looking for a Jedi, and Ahsoka isn’t really one of those anymore. She was adopted into the Jedi and had a falling out with them. Djarin was adopted into a kind of Mandalorian culture but it’s clear that “real” Mandalorians like Bo-Katan kinda feel like he’s a weirdo at best, and definitely an outsider. With any luck we’ll get some of the energy we saw in Star Trek TNG when Data and Spock met one another and realized they were both born into having something that the other wanted / denied about themselves.

So yeah, we’ll see. Haven’t watched this week’s episode yet.

I personally thought this was the weakest EP and I...

Spoiler

wish the dog fighting went on longer. The 3 man escape squad parts weren't interesting to me. Although I enjoyed all the speeder kills/accidents lol. 

Also, the episodes feel super short. There is actually only 33/34 minutes of new episode. Last week was only 29/30 minutes. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't want a lot of padding. I like Daredevil, but some episodes could have about 10-15 minutes cut out. I would just like at least 45 minutes of solid content.