The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

Man this show just is a pleasure to look at, on top of just being nice relaxing entertainment.  And really you don't want to think about this too much, as for example the first thought that comes to my mind is why is he killing so many animals man?  The mudhorn and now this Krayt dragon are probably rare/endangered species, and neither have been overly aggressive onto people.  Not to mention each tribe probably lost more people fighting the dragon than if they just avoided it through use of some early warning system - as the damn beast isn't very stealthy.

8 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Man this show just is a pleasure to look at, on top of just being nice relaxing entertainment.  And really you don't want to think about this too much, as for example the first thought that comes to my mind is why is he killing so many animals man?  The mudhorn and now this Krayt dragon are probably rare/endangered species, and neither have been overly aggressive onto people.  Not to mention each tribe probably lost more people fighting the dragon than if they just avoided it through use of some early warning system - as the damn beast isn't very stealthy.

They really get a ton of mileage out of Djarin being adopted when he was, it lets him get a complete pass on knowing... anything about Mandalore.

Yo this thing can move shit with his mind? Je...di? Who that?

Or in this episode...

Spoiler

I've not heard of any Mandalorian on Tatooine, that's so weird, I spent a lot of time there!

On 10/31/2020 at 3:14 AM, cusideabelincoln said:

People who live in the wilderness or in remote areas rarely concern themselves with whether or not an animal is rare or not. They see them as threats or non threats and act accordingly. Also according to the show, the "Dragon" had been killing sand people for generations so they were definitely eager to get rid of it. This is really no different than when you hear about villages getting together to kill man eating crocodiles or tigers. Sad but an inevitible by product of when two apex predators occupy the same habitat... one of them is going to have to GO.

On topic of the show, who was that at the end?

Spoiler

Boba Fett without his armor?

19 minutes ago, CayceG said:

You nailed it! Reveals like that don't happen unless they will show up again later in the series!

Yeah other sites are pretty much confirming it as

Spoiler

Temeura Morrison who played Jango Fett is also playing Boba. Makes sens since Boba is a Clone of Jango's. Also it's pretty much confirmed that it was Boba who cameo'd last season as well when we jsut saw a character's feet approaching that Bounty Hunter that Mando killed. A lot of folks here thought it was Grand Moff Gideon but it wasn't.

Happy to see Boba Fett did indeed survive the Sarlaac pit, that'll be interesting to see where that goes. Great episode! A lot of fun. Very much EU stuff with Boba and KOTOR stuff with Tatooine, krayt dragons, and Tusken Raiders and their culture.

I still would like to know whether Jango (and Boba by proxy) was an actual Mandalorian or just had Mandalorian armor. He was clearly a warrior and bounty hunter/gun-for-hire.

14 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I'm firmly in @Kal-El814's camp of wishing Boba died like the bitch that he truly was, forever canonizing his weak ass persona.

I did enjoy the callback to his jetpack going off at the slightest provocation. I also think that if Boba must live... at least we have his scrub status confirmed. Fett gets jetpack tapped? Falls into a hole like a punk. Olyphant gets jetpack tapped? Totally fine. Olyphant >>>>>>>>>>> Fett

46 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I still would like to know whether Jango (and Boba by proxy) was an actual Mandalorian or just had Mandalorian armor. He was clearly a warrior and bounty hunter/gun-for-hire.

IIRC Jango was born on a world Mandalore controlled, but due to his status as a bounty hunter and not a "warrior," didn't think highly of him. His armor was also NOT beskar, I think? I'm curious as to what Boba's is made out of.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

IIRC Jango was born on a world Mandalore controlled, but due to his status as a bounty hunter and not a "warrior," didn't think highly of him. His armor was also NOT beskar, I think? I'm curious as to what Boba's is made out of.

Ah, I gotcha. So it sounds like we're not sure still? But he's not part of the warrior class perhaps but follows "the Way" to some degree? He showed his face a lot in Attack of the Clones but that just might be Lucas not giving a shit about Mandalorian rituals (or he's earned the right to take the mask off).

Look, Boba Fett is a thinly written character similar to Darth Maul (well, Maul originally that is). But Boba isn't a scrub. He successfully follows, traps, and gets Han Solo, even after Han Solo's great garbage trick to get away. He works with Darth Vader, and makes sure to hold Vader to his word, not cowtowing to Vader easily like everyone else in the movies. He's completely comfortable banging aliens (he hits on them in Return of the Jedi) and works with gangsters like Jabba the Hutt with no fear whatsoever.

He's thinly written, and Han does take him out like a punk, but he's otherwise the very opposite of a scrub. And if he did indeed survive the Sarlaac pit, that's epic status, not scrub status.

11 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ah, I gotcha. So it sounds like we're not sure still? But he's not part of the warrior class perhaps but follows "the Way" to some degree? He showed his face a lot in Attack of the Clones but that just might be Lucas not giving a shit about Mandalorian rituals (or he's earned the right to take the mask off).

Again, assuming I'm remembering Clone Wars and all that correctly... the last canon time we see Boba pre-ESB, "The Way" either isn't a thing or it's so far from the mainstream that it never came up prior to it being a thing on The Mandalorian. "Real" Mandalorians took their helmets off all the time, and while they cared for their armor generationally, I think we saw maybe one character have reverence for their own that's on par with how Djarin feels about his. But that seemed more directly personal than Djarin's notion that someone outside the creed can't legitimately own / use it.

Long-winded way of saying that there's a possibility that Boba doesn't care about "The Way" is at all; Jango was indifferent about Mandalore. It's also possible Boba never even heard of it; it's entirely possible that Boba never interacted with another Mandalorian after the purge. We still don't have enough details about that to know what took place.

I'm hopeful that this season has some tension between Djarin / Boba about what a "real" Mandalorian is. Assuming Djarin and LBY run into some of the characters we know have been cast, there could be some interesting dynamics between Djarin and Jedi / Force Users and LBY, again, playing into the family you're born into vs. the family you choose trope which is so common in fantasy generally and Star Wars specifically. Lots of potential.

24 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

He's thinly written, and Han does take him out like a punk, but he's otherwise the very opposite of a scrub. And if he did indeed survive the Sarlaac pit, that's epic status, not scrub status.

I like dunking on Boba from the time when the EU was canon, since EU stans would always talk about how dope Boba was, how he fought Vader to a standstill, etc., and they never had any comeback to him getting accidentally one shot by a blind man. :p I like Boba just fine, but I'm always going for the dunk when the rim is 6 feet of the ground.

Reminds me tho, I have to finish assembling and painting the Boba mini from Legion!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Again, assuming I'm remembering Clone Wars and all that correctly... the last canon time we see Boba pre-ESB, "The Way" either isn't a thing or it's so far from the mainstream that it never came up prior to it being a thing on The Mandalorian. "Real" Mandalorians took their helmets off all the time, and while they cared for their armor generationally, I think we saw maybe one character have reverence for their own that's on par with how Djarin feels about his. But that seemed more directly personal than Djarin's notion that someone outside the creed can't legitimately own / use it.

Long-winded way of saying that there's a possibility that Boba doesn't care about "The Way" is at all; Jango was indifferent about Mandalore. It's also possible Boba never even heard of it; it's entirely possible that Boba never interacted with another Mandalorian after the purge. We still don't have enough details about that to know what took place.

I'm hopeful that this season has some tension between Djarin / Boba about what a "real" Mandalorian is. Assuming Djarin and LBY run into some of the characters we know have been cast, there could be some interesting dynamics between Djarin and Jedi / Force Users and LBY, again, playing into the family you're born into vs. the family you choose trope which is so common in fantasy generally and Star Wars specifically. Lots of potential.

I like dunking on Boba from the time when the EU was canon, since EU stans would always talk about how dope Boba was, how he fought Vader to a standstill, etc., and they never had any comeback to him getting accidentally one shot by a blind man. :p I like Boba just fine, but I'm always going for the dunk when the rim is 6 feet of the ground.

Reminds me tho, I have to finish assembling and painting the Boba mini from Legion!

This answered all my questions - well done good sir. :fedora:

I agree that I hope and I think it would be cool if season 2 explores the differences between Boba/Djarin about Mandalore and its ways. You got Favreau and Filoni on it, so it's very possible. That'd be cool though.

Boba is a supporting character in the current Star Wars: Bounty Hunters comic ( as is Bossk) and both are portrayed as VERY deadly, effective Bounty Hunters. The mian character is a fellow Bounty Hunter who was part of a crew they all belonged to and is a former Storm Trooper who was wounded in battle and is now a cyborg named Beliert Valance. Book is actually pretty good and continually shows how resourceful and deadly Boba really is.

• Pikachu changed the title to The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way; update: Season 2 out now!

All of The Mandalorian is just ok.  It’s stupid as all hell, but mindlessly entertaining in a very pretty way.  It makes as much sense as any Star Wars property, which is to say none at all, but it manages to keep me entertained for 60 minutes.  Hell, it seems like Mando’s plan to find the child’s home world is to just find other mandalorians sight unseen and ask them if they have any friggin clue what the hell it is, which is the second worst idea besting only checking every planet in the galaxy in alphabetical order.  

• Guillotine 1

I'm with you there. I don't understand all the love this show gets. It has the sophistication of an animated Star Wars show for 10 year olds, only in live action and with a big budget.

It's not awful or anything, but I really don't think it's anything that fresh or exciting.

(I'm saying this not having started season 2 yet.)

• Guillotine 1

On 11/4/2020 at 12:42 PM, ort said:

I'm with you there. I don't understand all the love this show gets. It has the sophistication of an animated Star Wars show for 10 year olds, only in live action and with a big budget.

You just described EVERY Star Wars movie ever made... I'm not sure what you guys really expect from this franchise. It was ALWAYS an action adventure space fantasy for kids. It's dumb fun. Star Wars never pretended to be "deep". EVER. It's part of its charm. 

2 hours ago, NeoJoe said:

Star Wars is emotional? :raisedbrow:

To a ten year old? Sure.

• Haha 1