The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

6 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The Lion King has always been trash.

How so? I loved it as a kid, but as an adult I find its politics troubling. I still enjoy it as far as spectacle goes, but I recognize my enjoyment of it is too rooted in nostalgia for to be objective.

Also, it’s fine if you don’t like it. I don’t really care either way. But when I see users discussing stuff they grew up with, I  personally find no enjoyment in dismissing their enjoyment as trash. There’s too much negativity out there, so if someone is enjoying something, especially on a nostalgia level, why try to take that away? Again I don’t personally care, but I know others who get hurt by that stuff and I personally don’t know how people enjoy doing that to someone else.

11 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

How so? I loved it as a kid, but as an adult I find its politics troubling. I still enjoy it as far as spectacle goes, but I recognize my enjoyment of it is too rooted in nostalgia for to be objective.

Also, it’s fine if you don’t like it. I don’t really care. But when I see users discussing stuff they grew up with, I  personally find no enjoyment in dismissing their enjoyment as trash. There’s too much negativity out there, so if someone is enjoying something, especially on a nostalgia level, why try to take that away?

I like the songs a lot. I think the whole arc of, “dynastic succession means we’re responsible for the land except the shitty parts of town” and I also don’t think it’s “heroic” for the main character to have his ass kissed for reclaiming his birthright after taking a gap year for his whole adolescence. 

The music is great, though. 

The Lion King is trash because it steals unceremoniously from Kimba the White Lion manga and anime franchise, arguably better than The Lion King, and combines it wholesale with a variation on Hamlet. Additionally, as others have said, the politics are also troubling in the film. 

Also the lion romance scene has always been super weird to me. I was 7 years old when I saw The Lion King in theaters, and I have never liked it. It's just okay. Some great music.

4 minutes ago, johnny said:

This is the first time I’ve seen people talk about the original lion king being trash lol 

It’s a take that really gained traction in the mid 00s with the Internet movie discussion forums. Look up the Kimna the White Lion/Lion King comps.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

It’s a take that really gained traction in the mid 00s with the Internet movie discussion forums. Look up the Kimna the White Lion/Lion King comps.

I'm not saying The Lion King can't bring joy to people, but I'd already seen Kimba the White Lion by then and it did always feel weird to me why Lion King was so praised. There may have been serious cultural appropriation there, who knows, and that is troublesome.

Honestly, the movie has always just kind of felt stereotypical and bored me though as a story, even as a 7 year old who loves plenty of other Disney movies. If you love Lion King though, that's cool. 

Lion King is great as a kid, and looking at it through adult eyes is just a lame ass thing to do. However, man I'd love a Lion King where Simba just eats the fuck out of his friends. As an adult I can't really get into a lot of the pure Disney stuff anymore. I just grew out of it I suppose. Well, it is more that I dislike any anthropomorphism content. Actually, I just hate furry shit. Lion King, Zootopia, or even the Khashits from TES. Hate it. 

13 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Guys are thinking way to hard about the deeper meanings of the Lion King. 

No deep thinking is required to realize the messaging about hyenas and where they live is incredibly shitty. It came out in 1994, it’s not like Snow White where nobody seemed to realize it was problematic to have heroes walking around kissing unconscious women. :p

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

No deep thinking is required to realize the messaging about hyenas and where they live is incredibly shitty. It came out in 1994, it’s not like Snow White where nobody seemed to realize it was problematic to have heroes walking around kissing unconscious women. :p

wtf are you talking about? They Hyenas are the bad guys. Bad guys live in scary places.  Was He-Man making a political statement because Snake Mountain was a shitty place to live?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

wtf are you talking about? They Hyenas are the bad guys. Bad guys live in scary places.  Was He-Man making a political statement because Snake Mountain was a shitty place to live?

But did they live in a shitty place because they were bad guys, or were they bad guys because they lived in a shitty place?

10 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

He-Man doesn’t have his dad pop off about the great circle of life and his responsibility to take care of the entire kingdom... except the projects.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

But did they live in a shitty place because they were bad guys, or were they bad guys because they lived in a shitty place?

well given that they turned the pride lands into a shitty place when they got a chance to live there...id say it’s the first one. 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

He-Man doesn’t have his dad pop off about the great circle of life and his responsibility to take care of the entire kingdom... except the projects.

He says all the light touches is our kingdom(or whatever). I don’t think they had authority in the bone yard. This is honestly the most try hard argument I’ve ever heard lol

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Except the three hyenas were voiced by a black person, a Latino person, and a hyena portrayed as mentally ill/unwell. Sure, that was probably just accidental too. Hence the comparison doesn't work. 

It's called subtext/coded.

29 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Except the three hyenas were voiced by a black person, a Latino person, and a hyena portrayed as mentally ill/unwell. Sure, that was probably just accidental too. Hence the comparison doesn't work. 

It's called subtext/coded.

All of the lions except for Scar and Simba were voiced by black actors, tbf.

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

All of the lions except for Scar and Simba were voiced by black actors, tbf.

It's the way they are portrayed on top of their voices - the film is far more classist than racist to be fair too (what accents are meant to imply about each character, etc.) but I don't care much about that stuff. But it's certainly there. 

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's the way they are portrayed on top of their voices - the film is far more classist than racist to be fair too (what accents are meant to imply about that character, etc.) but I don't care much about that stuff. But it's there. 

Yeah.

That aside, the notion that Disney movies are problematic is... the least spicy take of all time.

46 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

well given that they turned the pride lands into a shitty place when they got a chance to live there...id say it’s the first one. 

Perhaps that is due to generational trauma though, which has left the Hyenas unable to function in a normal society due to the damage and oppression done to them by the Lions. If the Hyenas were never taught by their parents how to properly live, then are they to blame, or is the society who never helped them?

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's the way they are portrayed on top of their voices - the film is far more classist than racist to be fair too (what accents are meant to imply about each character, etc.) but I don't care much about that stuff. But it's certainly there. 

Maybe they were just doing an accurate portrayal of hyenas by making them assholes, though? :thinking:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Why is nobody talking about hyena on hyena crime?

Hyenas are known cannibals. Female hyenas have penises that often suffocate their young during child birth. Female hyenas only have two nipples, the cubs literally fight each other to the death over the ability to feed from their mother (members of the pack, including the mother, eat the corpses). They are smarter than chimpanzees and able to communicate with each other on hunts in dead silence, usually targeting baby lions and leopards. Hyenas greet each other via their erections (including the females since they have penises).

You’re welcome.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Hyenas are known cannibals. Female hyenas have penises that often suffocate their young during child birth. Female hyenas only have two nipples, the cubs literally fight each other to the death over the ability to feed from their mother (members of the pack, including the mother, eat the corpses). They are smarter than chimpanzees and able to communicate with each other on hunts in dead silence, usually targeting baby lions and leopards. Hyenas greet each other via their erections (including the females since they have penises).

You’re welcome.

:ana: