The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

What a great episode.  Loved Clancy Brown as Burg -- I yelled "Kurgan" as soon as I saw him! (I know he's done a ton of other stuff, but he will always be the Kurgan to me).

They CAN do an extremely entertaining episode that has little to do with the plot progression of the overall series.

Lol he’s always Kurgan to me too. 

4 hours ago, Chris- said:

I'm glad to see, 'but it didn't move the plot forward' has died an ignominious death.

The show has no plot, we’ve accepted that it’s just a Saturday morning cartoon. This episode was just good ;)

The first three episodes set our expectations that this would be a very serialized structure, basically a long movie.  The last three episodes have taken a sharp turn towards an episodic structure, which is probably why it's so jarring.   But even as a standalone, episode 4 was not so good (at the very least, the weakest so far), 5 a bit better, but damn this last episode was fun as hell.  I'm definitely enjoying how they are purposefully using Mando's arsenal in as many varying, creative ways as they can imagine.

This episode has finally sold me on this show being episodic. Acting was a bit iffy, but not so much I couldn’t enjoy it. 

I find Mando’s moral code interesting 

bandits and storm trooper trying to keep him from stealing something = kill

Jawas stealing from him = disintegration. 
Murders and thieves that betray him, try to kill him and leave him for dead = leave unharmed in a locked room.

I believe it is possible to make an episodic structure with limited serialized moments work (just look at the history of TV).  However, given how bad episodes 4 and 5 were, I don't know how easy that will be.

IMHO, I think they've made it very hard on themselves by having one ongoing speaking part -- and that part always wears a helmet and speaks in short sentences.  The Child is only a puppet that doesn't do a whole lot more than being a pet.  

Trying to bring fresh interesting takes on this dynamic won't be easy (see episodes 4 & 5).

20 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

This episode has finally sold me on this show being episodic. Acting was a bit iffy, but not so much I couldn’t enjoy it. 

Hide contents

Murders and thieves that betray him, try to kill him and leave him for dead = leave unharmed in a locked room.

I believe it as an attempt to show character development. 

• Guillotine 1

57 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:
Spoiler

Spoiler

They did betray him, but IIRC they also only locked him in a cell, same as he did to them in the end. They didn't try to kill him until he got out.

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Hide contents

My take

Spoiler

For better or worse, the people who betrayed him are in his "community" and thus you have to be a bit more careful about how you respond to them. He spared them not because he doesn't like the idea of killing them, but because in their community its better to do an eye for an eye. A reputation for retaliating only in kind will probably serve him better than making an outright enemy when he already has a precarious relationship with them--he's already burned some bridges he probably didn't want to lose.

4 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

Remember episode 7 hits Wednesday and apparently, via the email reminder I received, it says to wait through the credits!

People say this EP will tie in to the movie. I have also seen people say that there were last minute reshoots to add in Baby Yoda to the movie but no one has really provided any proof and I doubt it. 

49 minutes ago, Chris- said:

ZMF has spoken:

I think I said it in this thread or the Rise of Skywalker thread - it's the "Looper - just dump the body in the middle of the ocean" complaint. It's the dumbest criticism - stories aren't just plot delivery devices and the best stories do all the things ZMF is speaking of there.