The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

One of my coworkers is also a Star Wars nerd and we’ve been discussing it with each new episode. And boy, it’s a lot of fun. Releasing the whole thing at once would take that experience away. I’m thankful that the one a week model is coming back.

I was always a fan of the music, but with each episode I love it more and more. The main theme has been stuck in my head all day. It’s by the same composer as Creed and Black Panther, whose scores I both loved.

While the show just might rely on known iconography a little too much, it’s nice to see that the show is willing to do something different and break the John Williams mold that the franchise has always been adhering to for decade. I’m curious to see what other types of scores we may get in the future. It would be cool to see a Star Wars property with a synth heavy score like Blade Runner 2049 or something.

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

Well, humanoid species anyways.

They're Human.

Recognized by their iconic armor, the Mandalorian people are characterized in the expanded universe as a multi-species warrior people who often work as mercenaries and bounty hunters. The Clone Wars television series reintroduced them to the franchise as a human people and introduced the New Mandalorians, pacifists who wish to distance themselves from Mandalore's warrior traditions. Mandalorian warrior characters also appear in the Rebels animated television series and in the live action web television series The Mandalorian.

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You new to Star Wars? 

Hide contents

Bad guys having bad aim is LITERALLY one of the main tropes.

I think Star Wars may have invented the trope to be honest :p I loved the episode and I definitely like the direction they seem to be moving in. All I was thinking when the episode ended was that I NEED a Mandalorian game in my life right now :lol: I guess Republic Commando is the closest thing we have to one?

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter came out in the PS2 generation. 

On 11/22/2019 at 2:58 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

No.  They have created a mythos around why John Wick's skill level is so much higher than virtually everyone else's.  And while the odds are often stacked against him, I don't recall any situations like what I was describing above.

Not to nit pick, but Mandalorians are supposed to be the best warriors in Star Wars, to the point where they were on the verge of victory against the Republic despite being vastly outnumbered and fighting thousands of Jedi.  The only Jedi to challenge them was Revan.

Also the Helmet thing might go back to the Old Republic days, as the only Mandalorians you see are in full armor except for Canderous who isn't obviously following the old ways anymore and is running protection for a crime syndicate, then once he goes back hes in full armor again, so Mando's group may have gone back to those ways after. 

23 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Not to nit pick, but Mandalorians are supposed to be the best warriors in Star Wars, to the point where they were on the verge of victory against the Republic despite being vastly outnumbered and fighting thousands of Jedi.  The only Jedi to challenge them was Revan.

Also the Helmet thing might go back to the Old Republic days, as the only Mandalorians you see are in full armor except for Canderous who isn't obviously following the old ways anymore and is running protection for a crime syndicate, then once he goes back hes in full armor again, so Mando's group may have gone back to those ways after. 

Yes. If the Jedi are the Shaolin monks of the Star Wars universe than the Mandolorians are probably The Spartans. 

6 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Oh so Mandalorian is an actual like culture? Not just a brotherhood of assassins?

Yeah they're were purged by the Empire but they were an actual tribal like culture. You learn a lot about them in KOTOR because one of your compainion is a Mandalorian. Not sure how much of that is still canon though.

On 11/19/2019 at 2:00 AM, sblfilms said:

I’m pretty sure they didn’t want to spoil the Baby Yoda thing with merchandising leaks. They didn’t even screen the first episode for critics to avoid that leaking.

This is exactly it.   A lot of leaks occurred around the toy lines for the mainline star wars films and Disney higher ups were asked not to produce advanced toy lines to keep the spoiler from leaking and they complied and it worked

I just signed up for Disney+ after figuring out that we don't have the right VZW plan. Went through the first three episodes immediately.

I'm really into it. I think there are a lot of ways this show could have been "more by the book," and instead it feels very different. Distinctly Star Wars, but also new. It probably helps that it's the first Star Wars TV show that isn't a Saturday morning cartoon.

I'm not really bothered by these Mandalorians having their own rules and culture. I think it's pretty common for any given diaspora to develop its own spin on their native traditions. This specific group has decided largely to live in the shadows, to protect themselves by hiding their numbers, their identities, their location, etc. I don't think that we need to read their rules as having applied to other Mandalorians throughout time.

It was impossible to escape baby Yoda before watching the series, but I didn't expect him to be such a big part of the show. I thought it was going to be a brief glimpse or something.

I'm less sold on the music. It's not bad, but it does kinda stand out.

3 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I just signed up for Disney+ after figuring out that we don't have the right VZW plan. Went through the first three episodes immediately.

I'm really into it. I think there are a lot of ways this show could have been "more by the book," and instead it feels very different. Distinctly Star Wars, but also new. It probably helps that it's the first Star Wars TV show that isn't a Saturday morning cartoon.

I'm not really bothered by these Mandalorians having their own rules and culture. I think it's pretty common for any given diaspora to develop its own spin on their native traditions. This specific group has decided largely to live in the shadows, to protect themselves by hiding their numbers, their identities, their location, etc. I don't think that we need to read their rules as having applied to other Mandalorians throughout time.

It was impossible to escape baby Yoda before watching the series, but I didn't expect him to be such a big part of the show. I thought it was going to be a brief glimpse or something.

I'm less sold on the music. It's not bad, but it does kinda stand out.

It will grow on you. It grew on me.

I've been enjoying this, but also feel like all of the action scenes are way too over-the-top.

Why does it have to be like 50 bounty hunters? Why did they have to shoot through like 50 dudes in the first episode? Make him a normal person and put him up against 5 or 6. You can still make that tense.

It just makes everything feel a little silly. And yes I know this is Star Wars, but at some point, you're just like... okay, yeah... no, this is too much.

And then why couldn't he take out a few jawas? We've seen that he's a superman capable of taking on entire platoons of trained soldiers, but a few jawas? Whoa there. Impossible.

What's the deal with the trackers too? Why would bounties have tracking devices? That makes no sense. The bounty hunters were tracking him? He has a tracker on him? The cloner dudes didn't take off baby yodas tracker?

3 hours ago, ort said:

I've been enjoying this, but also feel like all of the action scenes are way too over-the-top.

Why does it have to be like 50 bounty hunters? Why did they have to shoot through like 50 dudes in the first episode? Make him a normal person and put him up against 5 or 6. You can still make that tense.

It just makes everything feel a little silly. And yes I know this is Star Wars, but at some point, you're just like... okay, yeah... no, this is too much.

And then why couldn't he take out a few jawas? We've seen that he's a superman capable of taking on entire platoons of trained soldiers, but a few jawas? Whoa there. Impossible.

What's the deal with the trackers too? Why would bounties have tracking devices? That makes no sense. The bounty hunters were tracking him? He has a tracker on him? The cloner dudes didn't take off baby yodas tracker?

Do you write for Cinemasins?

Disney+’s The Mandalorian joins a long list of fake HDR content, analysis finds

The channel determines that Disney has simply put the SDR content in an HDR wrapper, with associated HDR-10 or Dolby Vision flags for the TV enabled regardless. The result is that users expect to be watching it in HDR, but they're not really, and they don't have a good way (outside of watching this video) to know what's up besides the fact that the image looks awfully dim and isn't living up to expectations.