The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

48 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Hyenas are known cannibals. Female hyenas have penises that often suffocate their young during child birth. Female hyenas only have two nipples, the cubs literally fight each other to the death over the ability to feed from their mother (members of the pack, including the mother, eat the corpses). They are smarter than chimpanzees and able to communicate with each other on hunts in dead silence, usually targeting baby lions and leopards. Hyenas greet each other via their erections (including the females since they have penises).

You’re welcome.

Sounds like portraying them as the bad guys was clearly just another opportunity for Disney to perpetuate its century long plan to subliminally create a racist child in every home. 

Mufasa is clearly the villain of the movie (you can tell, they even make him sound like Darth Vader).  Think about it --

1)  Mufasa exiles the Hyenas to the elephant graveyard

2)  Mufasa also takes his son Simba, and makes their prey grovel in front of him.  Many of them must know they will be eventually hunted and eaten by their king, but are forced to prostrate themselves in front of him

The circle of life is actually the circle of oppression.

Scar is the real hero, but they make you think he is evil by giving him a British accent, and making you think he is not really straight, but he is actually the liberator -- Scar liberates the exiled/marginalized Hyenas by giving them food so they don't starve to death.

Simba then kill the bisexual British liberator, and convinces you it is good to have the oppressive tyrant regain the throne of his dead father.

This was all done to make American children hate all foreigners, (and non-straight people) and love oppression. 

I think that Trump was somehow involved, and this was all in preparation of his taking over as dictator of the USA.

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Except the three hyenas were voiced by a black person, a Latino person, and a hyena portrayed as mentally ill/unwell. Sure, that was probably just accidental too. Hence the comparison doesn't work. 

It's called subtext/coded.

The hyenas are more explicitly coded as Nazis than anything else. Do you not remember Be Prepared? They literally goose step and salute Scar as he overlooks them from above.

Dang, those kinds of moments are usually saved for the season finale. Hype ass shit right there. 

With the length of these EPs I really wish I just waited to binge watch it. If it wasn't for the constant spoilers everywhere I go I would have waited. 

I haven’t watched anything SW besides the movies, so maybe some of this lore around the Mandalorians is already known but I REALLY liked what we learned in this episode. And the

Spoiler

infiltration and rescue scenes were incredible.

I like the small scale of the story, but with potentially large implications on the universe.

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I haven’t watched anything SW besides the movies, so maybe some of this lore around the Mandalorians is already known but I REALLY liked what we learned in this episode. And the

Hide contents

infiltration and rescue scenes were incredible.

I like the small scale of the story, but with potentially large implications on the universe.

Yeah, agreed.

I think a bunch of the stuff we’re learning about Mandalorians specifically is new. I don’t think “The Purge” has been referred to in the canon yet, we’ve for sure seen Mandalorians with their helmets off before; that whole “never take your helmet off” thing is new, etc. So there’s a lot of new stuff that’s coming up.

Also Pedro Pascal is doing great work considering you can’t see his face. In this episode, when he talks about his “enemy” with the armorer, you can tell he’s broken up about the affair.

Just... really good stuff so far.

The best episode so far.

Spoiler

I was struggling a little bit with how "Mando" was able to hold off all of the bounty hunters by himself, as they seemed to all have the aim of a 4-year old.  I think the writing would have been much more effective if the calvary had arrived earlier in that scene.

How does this fit in with the new lore?

Spoiler

TMorrison_02.jpg

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The best episode so far.

Hide contents

I was struggling a little bit with how "Mando" was able to hold off all of the bounty hunters by himself, as they seemed to all have the aim of a 4-year old.  I think the writing would have been much more effective if the calvary had arrived earlier in that scene.

Reveal hidden contents

TMorrison_02.jpg

Spoiler

Sabine had her helmet off all the time, too.

My guess is that at some point After Rebels, Mandalorians went through “The Purge,” went underground, changed their traditions, etc.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The best episode so far.

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

You new to Star Wars? 

Spoiler

Bad guys having bad aim is LITERALLY one of the main tropes.

I think Star Wars may have invented the trope to be honest :p I loved the episode and I definitely like the direction they seem to be moving in. All I was thinking when the episode ended was that I NEED a Mandalorian game in my life right now :lol: I guess Republic Commando is the closest thing we have to one?

• Haha 1

Star Wars always felt like the space opera equivalent of Lord of The Rings where the main characters are just head and shoulders better than everyone else at everything. Mooks die in front of Aragon, Legolas, and Gimli like wheat to a scythe, they kill something like 40 goons each in the books which is absurd. The Star Wars equivalent of that to me has always been Stormies and randos being incapable of hitting the broad side of a barn even at close range.

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Star Wars always felt like the space opera equivalent of Lord of The Rings where the main characters are just head and shoulders better than everyone else at everything. Mooks die in front of Aragon, Legolas, and Gimli like wheat to a scythe, they kill something like 40 goons each in the books which is absurd. The Star Wars equivalent of that to me has always been Stormies and randos being incapable of hitting the broad side of a barn even at close range.

That's pretty much ALL action adventure media. Rambo, John Wick, John Snow, Bruce Lee, Batman, Green Arrow... it's not even worth commenting on any more. Part of the suspension of disbelief when you have regular, non super-powered characters doing what SHOULD be impossible against overwhelming numbers.  

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I recognize the trope is there.  And, I thought the episode was the best one yet.

However, I think it would have been SOOO much better, if they had cut that section short.  Because, it was so unnecessary, given what follows next.

I thought it was a very tense and well-paced sequence and while I knew he would get out of it, I had no idea how. There were several viable possibilities that could have happened. What did happen was probably the most awesome.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

That's pretty much ALL action adventure media. Rambo, John Wick, John Snow, Bruce Lee, Batman, Green Arrow... it's not even worth commenting on any more. Part of the suspension of disbelief when you have regular, non super-powered characters doing what SHOULD be impossible against overwhelming numbers.  

I thought it was a very tense and well-paced sequence and while I knew he would get out of it, I had no idea how. There were several viable possibilities that could have happened. What did happen was probably the most awesome.

Different strokes.

Spoiler

Having Mando surrounded in all directions, by 20-30 professional bounty hunters, including several that had a height advantage to him, while he pops up and shoots them, while avoiding being shot broke my suspension of disbelief.  Without the benefit of Force powers (which the scene showed no evidence of), I couldn't come up with a plausible explanation of why he was able to continually pop up with 20 guns trained on him, and not get shot.

And, it was unnecessary, given that the resolution that freed him was the other Mandalorians coming in and saving the day.

Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed the episode.  It was the first episode that rose above being "great TV", and delivered on the promise of being near movie quality.

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Different strokes.

Reveal hidden contents

Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed the episode.  It was the first episode that rose above being "great TV", and delivered on the promise of being near movie quality.

You must HATE The John Wick movies then.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

No.  They have created a mythos around why John Wick's skill level is so much higher than virtually everyone else's.  And while the odds are often stacked against him, I don't recall any situations like what I was describing above.

Specifically like the one you described? Maybe not. But he's been in a lot of similar situations if not WORSE and he doesn't even have armor. Just a tailor made suit :p

Spoiler

And when all those red lights started going off in the bounty hunter hangout,

I said to myself "Oh okay... Mando is Space John Wick." :lol:

53 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It completely worked for me, the impossibility of escaping the situation, and I loved that it wasn’t solved like his predicament in the previous episode.

Yuuuuuup. That one shot had me feeling, “here we go again,” and then... yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Edit - do Mandalorians have the worst breath in the outer rim? How are they flossing. 

8 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The best episode so far.

Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

TMorrison_02.jpg

I'm not the biggest expert in star wars lore... But Jango was a human not a mandalorian. So that may explain him not following the rules.