The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

It's kinda... weird. The main char doesn't come off as the overblown badass that the Star Wars marks want Boba Fett to be, and there isn't much "gadgetry" he uses to do stuff with. He's just kinda "there," and he's not really a standout. Some of the action scenes they get him to do look clumsy, and he's missing the kind of "silent mystique" that the lone, brooding anti-heroes usually possess in other franchises.

The side characters are all pretty cool (my biggest hyped actor for this show was fantastic in his scene), but the world seems off... There isn't any familiar sounding Star Wars music, there are a few screen wipes and edits that look a bit mistimed, and the cg doesn't blend all that great. Granted, I get this is a tv show and you should curb your expectations, so I'm not complaining. It's just that overall it feels familiar while at the same time it feels like a knock-off of Star Wars. There are plenty of recognizable sounds and designs of things we've seen before, but then there are equal amounts of unrecognizable ones as well.

Still, it's got the basic tv trappings of over-explained exposition and music cues that stick out like a sore thumb, no matter the franchise and/or subject matter. But it has a lot of places to go, narratively speaking, and the ending definitely hit me from out of nowhere and has me looking forward to next week. B grade.

• Guillotine 1

It's cool... very well produced for a TV show. The biggest thing that feels off to me is the music. It just doesn't feel REMOTELY Star Wars-y and is a little distracting. Other than that I enjoyed it especially the twist at the end which I didn't see coming.

As far as the big question as to

Spoiler

whether or not the Mandalorian is Bobba Fett, I doubt it. I don't see how he can be... he said he was basically an orphan and we see flashbacks of what seems to be his family being wiped out during something that I assume was "The Purge" that is referenced. 

Where did this theory come from? 

48 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's cool... very well produced for a TV show. The biggest thing that feels off to me is the music. It just doesn't feel REMOTELY Star Wars-y and is a little distracting. Other than that I enjoyed it especially the twist at the end which I didn't see coming.

As far as the big question as to

Reveal hidden contents

whether or not the Mandalorian is Bobba Fett, I doubt it. I don't see how he can be... he said he was basically an orphan and we see flashbacks of what seems to be his family being wiped out during something that I assume was "The Purge" that is referenced. 

Where did this theory come from? 

With respect to the spoiler’d bit...

Spoiler

I don’t think he’s Boba Fett unless they decide to play things pretty loose with what we know about him from Clone Wars, or unless that flashback was deliberately misleading. They’re potentially setting The Mandalorian up as being a “good” guy, which isn’t Boba’s style in the current canon. He also doesn’t sound anything like Boba Fett.

But... who knows.

I would agree that the music doesn’t feel super Star Wars’y... but it’s awesome so I don’t care.

WRT to the ending...

Spoiler

I’m interested to see where they go with it. Yoda’s species has been deliberately mysterious for so long that I dunno that I really want anyone to touch it. We’ll see.

2 minutes ago, Brick said:

Wait, are all the episodes up? I thought Disney+ was going to release new episodes on a weekly basis. 

No just one episode as far as I know.

Just now, Pikachu said:

Nope, just Episode 1. Second episode will air on the 15th and then every Friday after that.

Same day as Jedi Fallen order.... Corporate synergy at work here ladies and gentlemen

• Haha 1

On the whole it was pretty good. It felt like a classic western show or movie. Especially the last five minutes or soif you know what I mean.

The only thing that outright bugged me was having a mini-carbonite factory on his ship. Like... it takes something Darth Vader and Boba Fett improvised in a tight spot and turns it into something Mandolorians have supposedly always been doing with their targets. Feels stupid.

19 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

On the whole it was pretty good. It felt like a classic western show or movie. Especially the last five minutes or soif you know what I mean.

The only thing that outright bugged me was having a mini-carbonite factory on his ship. Like... it takes something Darth Vader and Boba Fett improvised in a tight spot and turns it into something Mandolorians have supposedly always been doing with their targets. Feels stupid.

I felt the same way, but it could also be that once word got out how effective the technique was for transporting prisoners that more bounty hunters adopted it. Not JUST Mandolorians. But it did jump out to me initially though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

It's kinda... weird. The main char doesn't come off as the overblown badass that the Star Wars marks want Boba Fett to be, and there isn't much "gadgetry" he uses to do stuff with. He's just kinda "there," and he's not really a standout. Some of the action scenes they get him to do look clumsy, and he's missing the kind of "silent mystique" that the lone, brooding anti-heroes usually possess in other franchises.

The side characters are all pretty cool (my biggest hyped actor for this show was fantastic in his scene),

Who was that?

Spoiler

Lars von Trier?

Who wants to bet 

Spoiler

He takes his Helmet off at the end of the season?

I can’t agree that he doesn’t use gadgetry? In < 45 minutes we saw his pistol, his rifle / cattle prod, flamethrower, carbonite chamber, grappling hook, and that’s not counting the more general bounty hunter guild stuff. There’s 8 episodes, they shouldn’t shoot the whole wad in the first 45 minutes.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I enjoyed the music having a new feel to it. Other than one really over the top cue that screamed “TV show”, it all worked for me.

I still kind of can’t believe that this and things like some specific episodes of Westworld are “TV.”

This takes place after Jedi, so, isn’t Boba Fett kinda dead? Rotting in the stomach of a Sarlaac pit?

Not to mention, there’s a scene with a bunch of Mandalorian warriors/bounty hunters. Completely different character. Thankfully. I have zero interest in the Fetts. 

• Guillotine 1

I really enjoyed the first episode. I thought it seemed short (and it was, at least 4 minutes shorter than an average TV episode), but it was jam packed with things I wanted in a LA Star Wars series.

And that reveal at the end, man that makes things interesting. I really, really can't wait to see where they go with that. 

1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

This takes place after Jedi, so, isn’t Boba Fett kinda dead? Rotting in the stomach of a Sarlaac pit?

Not to mention, there’s a scene with a bunch of Mandalorian warriors/bounty hunters. Completely different character. Thankfully. I have zero interest in the Fetts. 

I was a little confused by the time period... it takes place after Jedi but before the force awakens?