The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And while I do rank Empire as the number best Star Wars film to date

After watching them all, The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite. It was the SW I remembered the most. I was surprised when basically all of my fond SW memories were tired to that film. Almost everything that I considered iconic was in that one film.  As a kid I thought RotJ was the best, but boy was kid me fucking wrong. There is some really bad shit in that. I just really like the Green Saber and black outfit for Luke. 

33 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I genuinely can’t imagine a grown up seeing Luke in ANH and thinking “that acting is good”. I think Hamill’s cheesy acting FITS the movie though.

EXACTLY. So many awkward line readings from him in ANH that only got by because Lucas was green as director at the time and generally doesn't really care about actor's performances. But his acting isn't so bad that it ruins the movie. It's kind of fitting.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I genuinely can’t imagine a grown up seeing Luke in ANH and thinking “that acting is good”. I think Hamill’s cheesy acting FITS the movie though.

But I was going to the Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!

If you look at the acting from Hammil between ANH and ESB it's astonishing how much better it is in the latter.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Luke longingly looking out over Tatooine as the twin suns set and the music kicks in Is a perfect amalgam of Hamill’s expression, setting, and music. It forgives any other acting sins in ANH and I am willing to die on this hill. 

It's not a bad hill.

17 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I think there are a ton of movies from the 70s (and into the 80s) that had very different acting styles than today.  IMHO, the craft of making action movies has substantially improved over the last 40 years.

IMHO, in its day ANH acting wasn't worse than its contemporaries.

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think there are a ton of movies from the 70s (and into the 80s) that had very different acting styles than today.  IMHO, the craft of making action movies has substantially improved over the last 40 years.

Hamill is worse than everybody else in ANH though. By a lot. He also is playing opposite of Alex Guinness for many of his scenes, so the contrast is striking. But as I said, his bad acting somehow fits the aesthetic of that film. I don’t think you need Daniel Day Lewis level method for A New Hope :p 

43 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Hamill is worse than everybody else in ANH though. By a lot. He also is playing opposite of Alex Guinness for many of his scenes, so the contrast is striking. But as I said, his bad acting somehow fits the aesthetic of that film. I don’t think you need Daniel Day Lewis level method for A New Hope :p 

I think it fits because Star Wars is basically a B movie made for kids. Also he’s supposed to be so damn naive that it all kinda fits. 

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Umm what? You know The Godfather and The Godfather 2 came out in the 70's right? Bad acting is bad acting no matter what decade its in. He was BAD in ANH and got better with each movie. There's nothing wrong with saying that and like @sblfilms said, it weirdly fits the movie because of this:

3 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I think it fits because Star Wars is basically a B movie made for kids. Also he’s supposed to be so damn naive that it all kinda fits. 

but it still bad not because acting techniques in the 70's and 80's were archaic and different than today. T

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Umm what? You know The Godfather and The Godfather 2 came out in the 70's right? Bad acting is bad acting no matter what decade its in. He was BAD in ANH and got better with each movie. There's nothing wrong with saying that and like @sblfilms said, it weirdly fits the movie because of this:

but it still bad not because acting techniques in the 70's and 80's were archaic and different than today. T

Apples and Oranges.  The Godfather is not an action movie.  I don't think there is a single performance in a Star Wars movie that could/should be compared to Oscar winners in that year.

I could point to a number of action movies that have performances I don't feel hold up (i.e. Christopher Reeve in Superman, Roger Moore in Moonraker, etc.).  But that is a total tangent.

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Apples and Oranges.  The Godfather is not an action movie.  I don't think there is a single performance in a Star Wars movie that could/should be compared to Oscar winners in that year.

I could point to a number of action movies that have performances I don't feel hold up (i.e. Christopher Reeve in Superman, Roger Moore in Moonraker, etc.).  But that is a total tangent.

Christopher Reeve? Dude is great as Superman... and while I know folks didn't like his take on Bond I don't think I've heard folks say he's a bad actor. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that about EITHER guy. Even Mark Hamill cringes at his own performance :p

53 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You seriously think Reeves performance didn’t hold up ? His physicality alone sold it . Not only did he do Superman well but he was able to do double duty as Clark Kent.

supes.gif

Transformation from goofy Clark to Superman is fantastic  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

You seriously think Reeves performance didn’t hold up ? His physicality alone sold it . Not only did he do Superman well but he was able to do double duty as Clark Kent.

supes.gif

Transformation from goofy Clark to Superman is fantastic  

His portrayal is so good that OTHER actors have been hard pressed to try and get out from under its shadow. No other actor has been able to nail the physical difference between Clark and Superman the way he did. Except for maybe Brandon Routh... who is channeling Reeve's portrayal :p

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

This conversation is going nowhere.  Lets agree to disagree.

Cool :peace:

43 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

His portrayal is so good that OTHER actors have been hard pressed to try and get out from under its shadow. No other actor has been able to nail the physical difference between Clark and Superman the way he did. Except for maybe Brandon Routh... who is channeling Reeve's portrayal :p

I'm still waiting for the great modern Superman movie.  Hopefully DC does it soon.

35 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

FTFY

If by going in a direction that is further and further away from discussions on The Mandalorian.  Then Yes.

Does anybody want this thread highjacked by postings of dueling video clips of 70s movies and pointless discussions of whether Christopher Reeve's portrayal of Clark Kent was brilliant acting, or campy overacting relative to today's acting norms in big budget super hero films?  I certainly don't.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Did you like Cavill? He said he isn't done with the role.

Superman is my favourite superhero of all time.  I don't think Cavill'sportrayal of Superman was consistent with my experience with the comics (at least the ones I read in the 90s).  It is probably less his acting, and more the scripts that have been given to him.

In my eyes, Superman is a goody-two-shoes, all-powerful, super-confident hero.  He is what we all aspire to be.  He has no weakness (other than magic and kryptonite).  He can't be corrupted.  He has no doubts.

I don't think they have captured that in the Cavill movies.  While displaying weakness and vulnerability may be key to good cinema (and a three-dimensional character), to me it isn't true to my personal view of Superman. 

It may be that creating a truly great Superman movie is just too difficult.

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Superman is my favourite superhero of all time.  I don't think Cavill'sportrayal of Superman was consistent with my experience with the comics (at least the ones I read in the 90s).  It is probably less his acting, and more the scripts that have been given to him.

In my eyes, Superman is a goody-two-shoes, all-powerful, super-confident hero.  He is what we all aspire to be.  He has no weakness (other than magic and kryptonite).  He can't be corrupted.  He has no doubts.

I don't think they have captured that in the Cavill movies.  While displaying weakness and vulnerability may be key to good cinema (and a three-dimensional character), to me it isn't true to my personal view of Superman. 

It may be that creating a truly great Superman movie is just too difficult.

That's LITERALLY Christopher Reeve's portrayal... and one thing The Justice League got right as a movie was Wheadon finally nailed was moving Supes more in this direction. Superman is a lot like Captain America from a personality standpoint and Marvel was able to nail the character while making him cool for modern audiences. So I don't buy that making a great Superman movie is too difficult. It can be done. Just needs the right creators behind it. I have most of those Superman comics from the 90's too btw. That's when I finally got into DC beyond Batman after growing up being primarily a Marvel head.

21 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If by going in a direction that is further and further away from discussions on The Mandalorian.  Then Yes.

Does anybody want this thread highjacked by postings of dueling video clips of 70s movies and pointless discussions of whether Christopher Reeve's portrayal of Clark Kent was brilliant acting, or campy overacting relative to today's acting norms in big budget super hero films?  I certainly don't.

Fair point :p Consider the matter dropped. For real now :lol:

Meanwhile, getting back on track to the topic at hand:

We have Burr, Boon Jr., Clancy freaking Brown and a hell of a cameo by Dave freaking Filoni before all is said & done! Supporting cast was fun to watch and how the whole mission played out was great. I was hoping for a reveal of whomever it was on Tattooine but maybe that's being saved for one of the final 2 eps of the season!? Overall I'll give it an 8.5/10!

I like how the recap had basically nothing to do with the last EP. Some spoilery comments I have about this EP. 

Spoiler

Clancy Brown being red is humorous to me because of Mr. Krabs.

Not that Natalia Tena is ugly, but along with her brother, those were the two ugliest twi'leks I have seen in Star Wars. 

I was not a fan of psycho Harley Quinn-esque personality the twi'lek had. Paring that with knife obsession makes that character already worse. 

I like that it is Bill Burr that drops the baby, and his robo gun is awesome. 

Also, Baby Yoda is going to be getting some fucking brain damage at this rate. 

You know, Mando kinda runs like a girl. 

I love when the Mando is treated as a horror monster, like Jason Voorhees.

I totally called the first half of the ending as soon as the brother appeared. 

But I was not expecting the other 3 to be left alive. 

Great EP. I still think the first three are better, but not by too much. If the past two EPs were like this then I don't think there would have been any real complaints. 

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Pretty sure the female alien was played by Osha from Game of Thrones... I didnt look it up yet but I recognized her body language. 

Correct!