The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon again on this one.  I thought it was a pretty bad episode.  The promise of this series "being movie quality" is just not being met.  The action in this episode wasn't even interesting to me.

A couple of things bug me with this episode:

Hide contents

1) If The Child is so valuable, why does Mando keep leaving him alone?

2)  Doesn't Mando bring his Disintegration Rifle with him almost everywhere?  No, apparently not on the only mission it would have really be useful

3)  The wanna-be bounty hunter's decision to try and screw Mando was baffling to me

4)  Is The Child the powerful force user that basically defeated a mudhorn, or the useless toddler that was captured by a greenhorn bounty hunter

Spoiler

1) reasonable question. although more because he knows BY is curious and likes to explore. He never stays in one place. 
2) how would they collect a bounty if he disintegrated the Target?

3) I feel like that was explained pretty well. Mando was a more valuable target. 
4) he’s a child so he’s naturally trusting. He acted to save Mando when Mando was threatened. A child wouldn’t know that bounty hunter was a real bad dude. That’s the whole idea behind teaching kids stranger danger and all that. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Like I said, this episode didn't move the story forward or reveal anything about the character, but it wasn't bad. I think though that if they are going to employ this decompressed storytelling thanthey would have been better off releasing all of the episodes at once. Easier to deal with slow moving episodes when you don't have to wait a week.

That would be your prerogative, but neither episode was UNWATCHABLE to the point of quitting the series. By any metric in my opinion :shrug:

That's a pretty low standard.  Paw Patrol is not unwatchable.

Both episodes were mediocre enough, that I know I have better things to do with my time.  This contrasts with the first three episodes, that I thought were very entertaining.

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

That's a pretty low standard.  Paw Patrol is not unwatchable.

Both episodes were mediocre enough, that I know I have better things to do with my time.  This contrasts with the first three episodes, that I thought were very entertaining.

That's not my metric... I'm fine with both episodes. But when someone says to me they are going to quit watching a show they were enjoying because of two episodes they didn't like, that says to me they found the quality to be so bad that they found the show to be unwatchable. which i disagree with. If that's not what you were saying, cool. Just seems like a drastic shift to go from "This show is pretty entertaining!" to "This show is complete trash and I have better things to do with my time!" These episodes may not have been as "epic" as the first three, but that extreme shift seems hyperbolic to me:shrug:

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's not my metric... I'm fine with both episodes. But when someone says to me they are going to quit watching a show they were enjoying because of two episodes they didn't like, that says to me they found the quality to be so bad that they found the show to be unwatchable. which i disagree with. If that's not what you were saying, cool. Just seems like a drastic shift to go from "This show is pretty entertaining!" to "This show is complete trash and I have better things to do with my time!" These episodes may not have been as "epic" as the first three, but that extreme shift seems hyperbolic to me:shrug:

I'm not sure I would use the word "epic" to describe the first three episodes.

To me, the writing has gone from mediocre to bad, and the action scenes are nowhere near as good as the previous episodes.  The only reason I am continuing to watch is the IP attached to it.

lol It really pays to be a main character in Star Wars. Mando with parsecs worth of plot armor, and other guy: ship explodes in one shot. Better get your own show before going up against Mando. 

the episode was “eh”. Didn’t hate it. Didn’t love it though. It killed enough time to eat a baked Ziti for dinner. 

Though I am definitely spoiled. I just finished Rebels season 4 (never seen it until Disney+), and damn that was a good ending season for a show. Not how I wanted to see it end, but considering the time period and universe, I guess it is how it had to end. That show really got good over the 4 seasons. 

I feel like Mandalorian had a plot for 4 episodes, but they had to stretch it out. These past two feel like filler. It feels like the show is wondering aimlessly, but not in a way that is as entertaining as like Kung Fu w/ David Carradine. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chris- said:

I'm not sure why you guys are clamoring for character and plot development given that the Mandalorian is more or less listless...He's on the run with a child he has no plan for other than an immediate need to protect it, trying to survive threats from multiple angles. They aren't 'filler' episodes, they are stories of his isolation and survival. If you need sweeping plot threads or revelatory character arcs, there are plenty of other TV shows out there that will cater to your needs. The Mandalorian is living in the moment, so watch it in the moment.

If this show exists only "in the moment", why have plot threads (baby yoda) carrying through each episode? If each episode was intended to be standalone, it would have started off very differently, and there would be nothing pulling viewers from one episode to the next. This also goes contrary to the "serial" nature of the show others have observed.

If this show is driving towards some important goal, it better show its hand quick. The last two episodes don't look like a show that knows what its heading is.

• Guillotine 1

10 hours ago, Reputator said:

If this show exists only "in the moment", why have plot threads (baby yoda) carrying through each episode? If each episode was intended to be standalone, it would have started off very differently, and there would be nothing pulling viewers from one episode to the next. This also goes contrary to the "serial" nature of the show others have observed.

If this show is driving towards some important goal, it better show its hand quick. The last two episodes don't look like a show that knows what its heading is.

Why does the Mandalorian carry through each episode? Because they are characters. Sheesh...

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Reputator said:

According to Wikipedia, unlike the first 4 episodes, Episode 5 (and forthcoming Episode 6) were not written by Jon Favreau, while Episodes 7 and 8 will be.  We may be in for another standalone episode on Friday.

I dunno guys, this show is starting to loose me a little. It no longer feels like appointment television. The most interesting and noteworthy thing about this show is Baby Yiddle. Nothing else is even as remotely interesting. It’s become more of a vehicle to deliver Baby Yiddle into the collective consciousness than it is an intriguing show that generates water cooler talk.

• Guillotine 1

9 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I think we’ve gotten so used to bingeable shows where it is all released at once. An underwhelming episode or two is barely felt, because before long you’re at the next great episode. 

many shows now are judged by an entire season, rather than episode by episode, like we’re judging the Mandalorian so far. 

That's the point I was TRYING to make. You made it in more succinct and less verbose way :cheers:

58 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Uhhh... those boots at the end... 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

That's a fan theory. I actually think they belong to Carl Weather's character.

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

They belong to Schmanakin Schmywalker. A clone of unknown origin that hates sand. 

Climactic!!!

Why would they hide his face like that if it's a character we've already seen? I don't care if it's who I put in spoiler tags or not, I just noticed the boots (didn't even realize it was a fan theory :p ), but at least have the reveal be interesting.

10 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Dick? Me? @skillzdadirecta am I being a dick? :beatup:

This is just how I play. At least for these, I meant no harm. 

Sipping Boba Fett GIF

Just kidding :p I didn't think so.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Why would they hide his face like that if it's a character we've already seen? I don't care if it's who I put in spoiler tags or not, I just noticed the boots (didn't even realize it was a fan theory :p ), but at least have the reveal be interesting.

How old would he be at this point if it IS him?

19 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It just came off like you were talking to me as if to someone who has been nitpicking any/every possible thing in each episode.

Nah, if anything I was just poking fun at fan theories and comparing the show to regular tv by holding back a big surprise for stupid reasons that mean nothing to the audience. 

the way the series is going it could be a toss up if we ever see who the boots belong to. Lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Nah, if anything I was just poking fun at fan theories and comparing the show to regular tv by holding back a big surprise for stupid reasons that mean nothing to the audience. 

the way the series is going it could be a toss up if we ever see who the boots belong to. Lol

I'm sure we will, it's not like JJ Abrams or Damon Lindelof are running the show :p

2 hours ago, ARZ said:

Man, how this show is being analyzed, I feel sorry for the upcoming Marvel shows :beatup:

Or any new GOT shows... or The Witcher for that matter.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm sure we will, it's not like JJ Abrams or Damon Lindelof are running the show :p

Or any new GOT shows... or The Witcher for that matter.

Oh god heaven help The Witcher show if it isn’t the second coming of LotR combined with only the good episodes of GoT. I can already hear the basement nerds cracking their fingers getting their preconceived critiques ready. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Oh god heaven help The Witcher show if it isn’t the second coming of LotR combined with only the good episodes of GoT. I can already hear the basement nerds cracking their fingers getting their preconceived critiques ready. 

I’m sure the reviews are written and recorded for YouTube already. 

• Haha 1

I thought this last episode was just straight up bad. The previous one was pretty meh as well. If this show is just gonna be this dude getting into 30 minute mini adventures every week, it’s going to be a pretty big disappointment. I’m hoping it picks back up and quick.

10 hours ago, ort said:

If this show is just gonna be this dude getting into 30 minute mini adventures every week, it’s going to be a pretty big disappointment. I’m hoping it picks back up and quick.

Do you have any concept as to what a television show is?

• Haha 3

Again I think the only issue here is that we're so used to prestige TV having an "arc." If this is basically going to be The Incredible Hulk but Star Wars I'd be completely fine with that. I just don't think we know that for sure at this point, which is only a problem because there are 3 episodes left this season.

12 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Again I think the only issue here is that we're so used to prestige TV having an "arc." If this is basically going to be The Incredible Hulk but Star Wars I'd be completely fine with that. I just don't think we know that for sure at this point, which is only a problem because there are 3 episodes left this season.

The Hulk would have been a very weird show if he was carrying around a baby across America.

I think baby Yoda is a big reason why people are like “this HAS to be going somewhere.”