The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

7 hours ago, TheLeon said:

My favorite part of this episode is when they reinforce that each planet in this galaxy is just 1-2 locations. “Well, this planet is taken”. Why, because this lady has a hotel room in the one village? Hop in your SPACESHIP, fly halfway around the planet in a few seconds or whatever, find another shitty little town to lay low. You never have to cross paths with her again. 

maybe it’s a really small planet. 

10 hours ago, TheLeon said:

My favorite part of this episode is when they reinforce that each planet in this galaxy is just 1-2 locations. “Well, this planet is taken”. Why, because this lady has a hotel room in the one village? Hop in your SPACESHIP, fly halfway around the planet in a few seconds or whatever, find another shitty little town to lay low. You never have to cross paths with her again. 

I thought the same thing... maybe Bioware created the planets in this universe?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I thought the same thing... maybe Bioware created the planets in this universe?

Just another way that this show is basically a video game.

Star Wars has always been like that, but I don't really feel like it needs to be. Would it really be a sin if a planet had multiple biomes? I don't want to break the universe wide open, but I feel like people would be willing to accept the possibility that a planet could have a desert and a forest, and maybe even places where it's cold too.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Just another way that this show is basically a video game.

Star Wars has always been like that, but I don't really feel like it needs to be. Would it really be a sin if a planet had multiple biomes? I don't want to break the universe wide open, but I feel like people would be willing to accept the possibility that a planet could have a desert and a forest, and maybe even places where it's cold too.

That’s not how science works. Our planet is only different, because God. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

That’s not how science works. Our planet is only different, because God. 

Also from a filmmaking standpoint, it's easier for audiences to identify where they are when a story takes place across multiple planets when each planets has an environmental "theme". Hoth=Ice, Tattoine=Desert, Mustafar=Fire etc.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also from a filmmaking standpoint, it's easier for audiences to identify where they are when a story takes place across multiple planets when each planets has an environmental "theme". Hoth=Ice, Tattoine=Desert, Mustafar=Fire etc.

Jakku = also desert

Arvala-7 = also desert also

Illum = also ice

yeah, this won’t get confusing at all...

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Jakku = also desert

Arvala-7 = also desert also

Illum = also ice

yeah, this won’t get confusing at all...

I mean they do title cards as well and unless I'm missing something, I don't think they put planets with the same "theme" in the same film. Like I don't think Jakku and Tattoine have been featured in the same movie... or Kashyyk and Endor or Hoth and Ilum. I think people get the idea that there is more than one desert planet and more than one ice planet.

16 hours ago, Reputator said:

Uhhh yeaah, can we talk about that for a second?

At some point Mando (or Cara, don't remember which) says they don't have the weapons to defeat an AT-ST. Like....is the New Republic somehow not bragging incessantly in news broadcasts and writing up new history books to teach younglings all about The Battle of Endor and the victory of the fucking Paddington army?

These idiosyncrasies are part of the IP, though.

"The Son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi." Okay y tho, Team Sheev's k/d vs Jedi is like 500/2 at worst.

"Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise." What are you even talking about Obi-Wan even in just ANH they suck shit at aiming.

And just in Mando ep IV... they beat the AT-ST with a large puddle. But I still get why Mando and everyone else wouldn't just think they're going to have an easy time with it.

Either you're on board with shit like Boba Fett actually being a bad ass AND also having a "press here to derp" button on the rear outside of his jetpack that he doesn't accidentally pop every time he leans back to take a shit with this armor on... ... or AT-ST's getting dunked on by Paddington army (I'm stealing that BTW :p ) armed with Lincoln logs but ALSO being frightening to people who would go up against one... or you're not. :p That shit's just Star Wars.

• Haha 3

I like that at one time they tried to retcon or make cannon that the Storm Troopers we’re intentionally missing Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie so they could escape and be tracked back to the rebel base. Then you have a show like Rebels where Clone Trooper Rex pulls off a storm trooper helmet, declares you can’t hit anything wearing that helmet, and just chucks it at a Storm Trooper. lol 

never change Star Wars. Or always change Star Wars. I don’t know at this point. 

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I like that at one time they tried to retcon or make cannon that the Storm Troopers we’re intentionally missing Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie so they could escape and be tracked back to the rebel base. Then you have a show like Rebels where Clone Trooper Rex pulls off a storm trooper helmet, declares you can’t hit anything wearing that helmet, and just chucks it at a Storm Trooper. lol 

never change Star Wars. Or always change Star Wars. I don’t know at this point. 

If we're going to be super cynical about it...

Disney spent 658 MILLION DOLLARS gross to explain:

1) Why someone neglected to slap a toilet seat on that Death Star vent

2) Why Han seemed to think parsecs are a unit speed and not distance

It's all FINE.

There are Star Wars fans who rightfully understand that this is a space fantasy and just go along for the ride. And then there are those who somehow miss the point and want it desperately to be a living, breathing sci-fi world where everything makes logical sense. Personally, I’m on the former for the most part. Having each planet with a distinct enviroment is part of the charm and fits right along with the idea of this being a fantasy story.

Well, I really didn't find this weeks EP any better than last EP. The issue I guess comes from the first 3 EPs flowing together like a movie, and these past two are just Mando goes here and does that before leaving again. Very much like a television show. The EP was visually too dark at times, not that there was much to see. Could just be my monitor tho. The show usually doesn't leave The Mandalorian's perspective but it happens in this EP and I didn't like it. Felt wrong. 

I hope these last 3 EPs go back to feeling like a movie. At this rate the show is becoming increasingly mediocre. I mean, these past two EPs aren't bad, and are better than most of the shit ya get on the tv, but aren't that great either. When you think of the length of the EPs and the length of the season, these EPs just taste sour. Two side quest EPs in a row. The ending gives me hope that the show will be back on track next week, but I would not be surprised if the show stays at the level of these past two EPs. 

• Like 1

We learned even less about the overall plot or the main characters in this episode. The show is going the wrong direction quick. I still found it enjoyable though.

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

Well, I really didn't find this weeks EP any better than last EP. The issue I guess comes from the first 3 EPs flowing together like a movie, and these past two are just Mando goes here and does that before leaving again. Very much like a television show. The EP was visually too dark at times, not that there was much to see. Could just be my monitor tho. The show usually doesn't leave The Mandalorian's perspective but it happens in this EP and I didn't like it. Felt wrong. 

I hope these last 3 EPs go back to feeling like a movie. At this rate the show is becoming increasingly mediocre. I mean, these past two EPs aren't bad, and are better than most of the shit ya get on the tv, but aren't that great either. When you think of the length of the EPs and the length of the season, these EPs just taste sour. Two side quest EPs in a row. The ending gives me hope that the show will be back on track next week, but I would not be surprised if the show stays at the level of these past two EPs. 

No it was too dark on my TV as well in some scenes... glad to see I wasn't the only one who experienced that. Episode was ok, they're REALLY leaning into the western tropes here. There wasn't even that much character development in this episode like the last one so you REALLY just had a filler episode that could be ignored unless Ming Na Wen's character is going to play a larger role. I'm cool with the EP though as it had a decent amount of action and it was kinda cool to see Mos Eisley again. It also reminds you of how out of the way Tatooine is and how Luke and Obi-Wan were able to survive there undetected by the Empire for so long.

The music in this episode was so horrible. Not the typical music but that music with the chick? Good god Disney. I think a lot of the dialogue was super generic this episode. Maybe it was the other episodes too and I just didn’t notice. This episode was the weakest so far. Not only did this not really advance the plot for the second week in a row, the episode felt super cookie cutter (even MORE than last week). Anything good about this episode was only because it was “oh hey Star Wars stuff!!” Like the tusken raiders.  Next weeks episode needs to be a step up. 

6 minutes ago, johnny said:

The music in this episode was so horrible. Not the typical music but that music with the chick? Good god Disney. I think a lot of the dialogue was super generic this episode. Maybe it was the other episodes too and I just didn’t notice. This episode was the weakest so far. Not only did this not really advance the plot for the second week in a row, the episode felt super cookie cutter (even MORE than last week). Anything good about this episode was only because it was “oh hey Star Wars stuff!!” Like the tusken raiders.  Next weeks episode needs to be a step up. 

As others pointed out, the issue with this episode was that it was very much a filler episode a series get in the middle of season four when they're looking to pad the season and hit syndication. An eight episode season should not be paced in this way. It ends with Mando having the exact same amount of money with a ship in the exact same shape while also being pretty much in the exact same place.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I feel like folks are being waaaay to hard on this series because it's Star Wars. Every episode doesn't HAVE to blow you away. That said, Disney should probably rethink the whole "release one episode a week" thing with this series. I feel like this series would be less scrutinized if it could be binged.

I feel like it goes both ways. People are hard on it but people also buy into the nostalgia and give it a pass. This is the only episode so far I haven’t liked. 

I personally don't feel I am being to hard on it. I don't think every EP should have to blow you away, but I don't think any EP should leave you feeling disappointed, which these past two have. If there were more EP then there wouldn't be an issue. Well, assuming the majority wouldn't be like these past two EPs.

Can’t say I’ve felt disappointed at all by any of the episodes yet other than I wish they were all longer. 

I get the desire to have the shows story continually pushed but I’ve really enjoyed the last two episodes 🤷🏻‍♂️

Also I feel like I’m the only one that really really likes the music. Like a lot. 

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon again on this one.  I thought it was a pretty bad episode.  The promise of this series "being movie quality" is just not being met.  The action in this episode wasn't even interesting to me.

A couple of things bug me with this episode:

Spoiler

1) If The Child is so valuable, why does Mando keep leaving him alone?

2)  Doesn't Mando bring his Disintegration Rifle with him almost everywhere?  No, apparently not on the only mission it would have really be useful

3)  The wanna-be bounty hunter's decision to try and screw Mando was baffling to me

4)  Is The Child the powerful force user that basically defeated a mudhorn, or the useless toddler that was captured by a greenhorn bounty hunter

To me, how the characters are being written just isn't very convincing -- its almost as if Jon Favreau has situations that he wants to unfold in a certain way, and jams the characters into them, rather than writing situations around the characters.

Given some of the so-far unseen footage from the trailers, we do now that there is the likelihood that some good episodes (at least from an action point-of-view) are forthcoming.

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I feel like folks are being waaaay to hard on this series because it's Star Wars. Every episode doesn't HAVE to blow you away. That said, Disney should probably rethink the whole "release one episode a week" thing with this series. I feel like this series would be less scrutinized if it could be binged.

The issue is that it's a limited, 8 episode series. That and pacing. I didn't have a problem with last week's episode, even if things ended where they started. It still gave you some insight into Mando and it wasn't filled with people making bad decisions. This episode was filled with people making bad decisions. Mando should never have left the young guy alone with Ming-Na Wen's character, nor should he have ever told that guy where his ship was. Like why? The dude is obviously a guild member in training, so why? If it was to show how desperate he was for money, outside of the guild, it didn't really do a good job of showing that. Also, why would guild wannabe even think he can take on Mando alone? He just heard tell that Mando took out a ton of seasoned guild members. He had the child. He could have just disappeared with the child and still be welcomed into the guild with open arms on that alone.

I'm not sure why you guys are clamoring for character and plot development given that the Mandalorian is more or less listless...He's on the run with a child he has no plan for other than an immediate need to protect it, trying to survive threats from multiple angles. They aren't 'filler' episodes, they are stories of his isolation and survival. If you need sweeping plot threads or revelatory character arcs, there are plenty of other TV shows out there that will cater to your needs. The Mandalorian is living in the moment, so watch it in the moment.

• Guillotine 1

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This is the premiere series, and basically the only new content on Disney+.  Episode 4 and 5, to me, are mediocre TV.  If this wasn't a Star Wars series, I would probably stop watching.

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

The issue is that it's a limited, 8 episode series. That and pacing. I didn't have a problem with last week's episode, even if things ended where they started. It still gave you some insight into Mando and it wasn't filled with people making bad decisions.  I don't disagree... there wasn't a lot of character development here.

This episode was filled with people making bad decisions. Mando should never have left the young guy alone with Ming-Na Wen's character, nor should he have ever told that guy where his ship was. Like why? The dude is obviously a guild member in training, so why? If it was to show how desperate he was for money, outside of the guild, it didn't really do a good job of showing that. You just answered your own question.

Also, why would guild wannabe even think he can take on Mando alone? He just heard tell that Mando took out a ton of seasoned guild members. He had the child. He could have just disappeared with the child and still be welcomed into the guild with open arms on that alone. Like I said, this show leans heavily into Western genre tropes and one of those tropes is the brash young gunslinger looking to make a name for himself hence the title of the episode "The Gunslinger". That title referred to the kid, not Mando. The kid clearly had SOME skill but was lacking in experience which is what did him in. As far as talking the Baby Yoda in, The Kid didn't know how valuable Baby Yoda was... The audience knows but he didn't. Ming Na Wen told him that MANDO was worth more to the guild than she was, not the Target Baby Yoda. The Kid wasn't interested in money, he was interested in making a name for himself and bringing in Mando would have made his reputation. This a common motivation in westerns.

Like I said, this episode didn't move the story forward or reveal anything about the character, but it wasn't bad. I think though that if they are going to employ this decompressed storytelling thanthey would have been better off releasing all of the episodes at once. Easier to deal with slow moving episodes when you don't have to wait a week.

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

This is the premiere series, and basically the only new content on Disney+.  Episode 4 and 5, to me, are mediocre TV.  If this wasn't a Star Wars series, I would probably stop watching.

That would be your prerogative, but neither episode was UNWATCHABLE to the point of quitting the series. By any metric in my opinion :shrug: