The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

Yeah, it was the Confederacy of Independent Systems. There were battle droids and also CIS gunships in the sky. It's clear that Mando was a kid before the Empire and experienced oppression at the hand of the droid armies and joined the Mandalorians. Then he grew up through the Empire era, experiencing THAT oppression where he and his fellow Mandalorians were purged. 

This is the way. 

So, I really hope Mando's name never becomes a plot point. Like, either his name will be really dumb, or what I fear, is that his name will have some connection to a different SW character. I really don't want that. I really want this show to never interact with the movie plots. I mean, there is already Baby Yoda and that is enough. I want SW but without the baggage of the EPs I-XI.

On 11/29/2019 at 10:51 PM, CayceG said:

Baby Yoda theory: they wanted to clone him by extracting DNA, or they wanted... ugh... his midichlorians. 

My personal theory, just because I want it documented:. Rey is a clone with part DNA of baby yoda.

Would explain the "mary sue" complaint about being able to use the force without training (pretty sure baby Yoda has had no training).

Would explain seeing multiple copies of herself in TLJ

Would explain Kylo Ren stating "What girl?" in TFA 

Can't wait to see how ridiculously far off my theory is in a few weeks lol

21 minutes ago, Bacon said:

So, I really hope Mando's name never becomes a plot point. Like, either his name will be really dumb, or what I fear, is that his name will have some connection to a different SW character. I really don't want that. I really want this show to never interact with the movie plots. I mean, there is already Baby Yoda and that is enough. I want SW but without the baggage of the EPs I-XI.

Pedro Pascal has already said what the character’s name is.

29 minutes ago, jinx8402 said:

My personal theory, just because I want it documented:. Rey is a clone with part DNA of baby yoda.

Would explain the "mary sue" complaint about being able to use the force without training (pretty sure baby Yoda has had no training).

Would explain seeing multiple copies of herself in TLJ

Would explain Kylo Ren stating "What girl?" in TFA 

Can't wait to see how ridiculously far off my theory is in a few weeks lol

The Child is the love-child of Yoda and Yaddle.  When Palpatine died, his force ghost took over the body -- so the Mandalorian is actually protecting a Sith Lord.

Rey is actually the daughter of Din Jarrin (sp?) and the widow, who is given force powers at her birth through a previously unknown midi-chlorian transfer technique by The Child (controlled by Palpatine).  Palpatine is sick of his yoda-like body, and wants to inhabit a human body, but the now force-empowered human baby is stolen away before Palpatine's force ghost can transfer itseld into it and the baby is hidden away on Jakku by Jin Darrin.

While I don’t think the episode sold it well enough, my read was this: The helmet off scene is showing Mando’s internal desire for something besides the way, the later scene with the widow and his reaction to her suggestion is surprise that his desire could be reality.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

While I don’t think the episode sold it well enough, my read was this: The helmet off scene is showing Mando’s internal desire for something besides the way, the later scene with the widow and his reaction to her suggestion is surprise that his desire could be reality.

I thought his helmet off scene was because he was hungry. 

Just now, number305 said:

I thought his helmet off scene was because he was hungry. 

Text: he’s going to eat and can’t do so with his helmet on

Subtext: he’s seeing a life like he probably would have had were it not for his family being killed and being adopted into the way

Note that the scene doesn’t even show him actually eat anything. As he prepares to eat, the camera brings the audiences gaze back to the children playing.

Its 100% not about him eating and I’m being generous with calling it text/subtext, it’s damn near just text/text because it’s so plainly presented :p 

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Subtext: he’s seeing a life like he probably would have had were it not for his family being killed and being adopted into the way

Note that the scene doesn’t even show him actually eat anything. As he prepares to eat, the camera brings the audiences gaze back to the children playing.

Its 100% not about him eating and I’m being generous with calling it text/subtext, it’s damn near just text/text because it’s so plainly presented :p 

Also...

Mando, ”If I take this helmet off and someone sees me I can never put it back on again.”

5 minutes later, takes his helmet off to watch children at play in a place from where he could absolutely be seen while there happens to also be a snack near him.

Audience, “Oh so THAT’s how he eats.”

BOO

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

One thing I've learned about this board in particular is that it doesn't do subtext... It's been proven to me time and time again. It's kinda pointless to even discuss it here. This wasn't even THAT deep and

over your head cosplay GIF by Comic-Con HQ

I've used the term "Cinematically illiterate" before... I wasn't joking.

22 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

One thing I've learned about this board in particular is that it doesn't do subtext... It's been proven to me time and time again. It's kinda pointless to even discuss it here. This wasn't even THAT deep and

over your head cosplay GIF by Comic-Con HQ

I've used the term "Cinematically illiterate" before... I wasn't joking.

Yea you guys should take a few more pats on the back.  Way too brilliant for us regular folks.  It's too bad you use your great powers on kids shows on disney +.

You might want to look into the reason that you missed that my comment was a joke while you are at it.  Maybe that whooshed by your head.

31 minutes ago, number305 said:

Yea you guys should take a few more pats on the back.  Way too brilliant for us regular folks.  It's too bad you use your great powers on kids shows on disney +.

You might want to look into the reason that you missed that my comment was a joke while you are at it.  Maybe that whooshed by your head.

I'm sorry... did I direct my comment at you? If you were indeed joking then there was no need for you to even THINK I was talking about you. There was a whole conversation going on in this topic before you even came in. And the fact that it's a kids show as you and I have pointed out and shit is STILL flying over folks heads is kinda the problem. Sorry if you took offense by what I said, but it doesn't make it any less true. This show is NOT deep or even trying to be by any means and the slightest bit of subtext is causing nosebleeds in this thread. This has been a CONSISTENT thing on this board so... yeah. I stand by my statement, as elitist and snobby as it may sound.

12 minutes ago, number305 said:

If it was a joke, what is funny about it? What is the joke? It just reads as your opinion about what the meaning of the scene is.

I mean, you guys are being dicks about the whole thing. Like, you are being dicks because people saw something differently than you. And as tradition, I am sure you'll tell me to lighten up or some in that vein. Like, I think last time someone told me to grow up because I was getting pissed at them being a dick. Not saying I can't be a dick, but I am one guy. D1P does this shit where they always gang up on people almost all the time. 

I mean, this is pretty low-tier on the scale of how D1P can be and hardly a big deal, but yeah. It really isn't a very inviting attitude. 

17 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I mean, you guys are being dicks about the whole thing. Like, you are being dicks because people saw something differently than you. And as tradition, I am sure you'll tell me to lighten up or some in that vein. Like, I think last time someone told me to grow up because I was getting pissed at them being a dick. Not saying I can't be a dick, but I am one guy. D1P does this shit where they always gang up on people almost all the time. 

I mean, this is pretty low-tier on the scale of how D1P can be and hardly a big deal, but yeah. It really isn't a very inviting attitude. 

It’s like the issue at hand is to prove how more or less likable the 4th ranked episode of the 4 released episodes this is. 

28 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Maybe we wouldn't come across as being dickish if folks would be big enough to admit when they get some wrong or may have missed something that they didn't see. Like I got corrected about something a couple of posts back. Did I get in my feelings about it or double down? No. I admitted that I was mistaken and kept it moving. A lot of you guys DON'T DO THAT and pick some pretty indefensible and insignificant hills to die on and then get butt hurt when you run out of comebacks. So... yeah. If I come across as a dick for pointing out OBVIOUS shit then I guess I'm a dick?

and if you think THIS board is bad then I don't know what to tell you. Folks are downright SAINTS on this board compared to other forums and groups I belong to.

But for real, none of this is that serious and I apologize to anyone who feels like I myself am being too harsh or arrogant towards them. It's a Space Western Cartoon for god's sake. It ain't that deep.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

and if you think THIS board is bad then I don't know what to tell you. Folks are downright SAINTS on this board compared to other forums and groups I belong to.

Like, yeah, people are worse on, let's say reddit, but it is pretty impersonal that it really doesn't matter. D1P is basically your suburban cul-de-sac while reddit is the highway. Things are more personal in the cul-de-sac. If someone flips you the bird on the highway, you won't care five minutes later. 

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

A lot of you guys DON'T DO THAT and pick some pretty indefensible and insignificant hills to die on

This is also very subjective . What is insignificant to some isn't to others. You also said about them admitting their mistakes, but the issue is they don't feel they are mistaken in their opinion as the viewed the episode differently. Hard to admit you are wrong, when you don't think you are. 

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Like, yeah, people are worse on, let's say reddit, but it is pretty impersonal that it really doesn't matter. D1P is basically your suburban cul-de-sac while reddit is the highway. Things are more personal in the cul-de-sac. If someone flips you the bird on the highway, you won't care five minutes later. 

This is also very subjective . What is insignificant to some isn't to others. You also said about them admitting their mistakes, but the issue is they don't feel they are mistaken in their opinion as the viewed the episode differently. Hard to admit you are wrong, when you don't think you are. 

Fair enough... and again I may come across harshly in these "debates" because I can be a very passionate debater. But I don't want to silence anyone or make them feel like they can't speak up. Just be willing to stand by your position and back it up with more than "That's just the way I see it and you can't change my mind". Sometimes there aren't subjective truths, there's simply fact and in this case, it's hard to dispute what a scene is telling you when it's RIGHT THERE on the screen. But I'm dropping it and I can I apologize especially to you @Bacon if I was an asshole.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Reputator said:

The hilarious thing is the people jerking each other off about how insightful they are aren't even the only ones who saw subtext. They merely interpreted it incorrectly differently.

The scene is drawing direct parallels between his childhood and subsequent life and The Child’s. His desire for The Child to live a normal life is directly linked to his desires for his own life. You can’t have one without the other in that scene.

35 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The scene is drawing direct parallels between his childhood and subsequent life and The Child’s. His desire for The Child to live a normal life is directly linked to his desires for his own life. You can’t have one without the other in that scene.

I haven't found anything in this post or your last one I disagree with. But you're debating the wrong issue. Obviously the camera is silhouetting his image with the innocence of childhood, but there were people here (cough skillz cough) who thought removing the helmet meant he was LITERALLY considering starting a new life right then and there. Yes, this whole stupid argument started over what the damn helmet means.

1 hour ago, LazyPiranha said:

God fucking damn it people, we're arguing about the emotional subtext in a show where they played up an AT-ST as a serious threat as if we haven't seen those bastards get their shit absolutely wrecked by a bunch of teddy bears.  

Uhhh yeaah, can we talk about that for a second?

At some point Mando (or Cara, don't remember which) says they don't have the weapons to defeat an AT-ST. Like....is the New Republic somehow not bragging incessantly in news broadcasts and writing up new history books to teach younglings all about The Battle of Endor and the victory of the fucking Paddington army?

My favorite part of this episode is when they reinforce that each planet in this galaxy is just 1-2 locations. “Well, this planet is taken”. Why, because this lady has a hotel room in the one village? Hop in your SPACESHIP, fly halfway around the planet in a few seconds or whatever, find another shitty little town to lay low. You never have to cross paths with her again.