They Shall Not Grow Old, update - in US theaters December 17 and 27 only

SimpleG

Since it aired on the BBC it is out there if you want to see it. I watched it tonight. The first 25 minutes are unrestored footage and when it switches it is astounding. There are some glitches here and there mostly due to do either what I am guessing is heavily damaged film or the inconstant frame rate that hand cranked cameras provide but overall this is a technical marvel.

In terms of the actual content of the film itself, it does a very brief overview of the war from the perspective of the British land forces exclusively. It is completely narrated by interviews from soldiers and follows everything from signing up to go to war till the armistice and settling back into life. It only covers one full battle and it is utterly unflinching in the footage that it uses. As you might imagine this is not a feel good documentary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah after that first 20-30 minutes the color change is, to me at least, what people must have thought and felt the first time watching "Wizard of Oz" in theaters 80 years ago! The fact that Jackson & company had what, over a 1000 hours of footage and 600 hours of audio to piece together to trim to a 90 minute film showcasing a sort of "Basic experience of your British soldier during WWI" is astonishing. Seeing the 30 minute behind the scenes after (where most in the theater I went to in upstate NY also stuck around for) was fantastic. All the attention and love put into it...truly artistic.