Fallout 76 OT - Would Anyone Really Notice If West Virginia Was Nuked? Update: "Steel Reign" Launch Trailer

Pikachu

Reclamation day nears. Before exploring Fallout 76's wasteland on November 14th, watch the game's official in-game introduction & join us for our Break-It Early Test Application (B.E.T.A.) -- first on Xbox One on October 23rd, and one week later on PC and Playstation 4 on October 30th.

• 2 weeks later...

More impressions and videos: 

Fallout 76' preview: This isn't 'Fallout 5 (Engadget)

Fallout 76 is a new way to play around in Bethesda's post-apocalyptic universe and that'll take some getting-used-to for longtime series fans. However, for anyone who's played Fallout New Vegas five times over or re-started Fallout 4 a dozen times, Fallout 76 represents a new, innovative way to exist in that universe, in perpetuity.

Fallout 76 Hands-On: Three Hours In Bethesda's Online Wasteland (The Verge)

It’s impossible to judge an online game like Fallout 76, one that will be constantly evolving weeks and months after it launches, in just three hours. But my time with the game did aussage some of my fears. Yes, there are some quirks and tradeoffs that come from shifting the series to a massively multiplayer format, but there are also some really fascinating new aspects. And more importantly, Fallout 76 still fundamentally feels like Fallout. Only this time, you’ll have to share the wasteland.

Three Tantalizing Hours With Fallout 76 (Game Informer)

With Fallout 76's launch right around the corner, I hope my impressions and video playthrough provide some clarity for the adventure you can expect. Where do I stand on it? I'm still on the fence as to whether or not this is a game I can see myself playing for weeks on end. The setup is definitely intriguing, and the small taste I got of it delivered plenty of fun. My hesitation comes from not knowing if this entry will hook me in the same way that the last three installments did. It's still Fallout, but if those hooks are gone, can the multiplayer experience replace them? I also have concerns about the story, world, and overall gameplay flow. We'll learn more about these elements when the beta hits in a few weeks. Like I said, it's a different beast of a game, and for that we have plenty of reasons to be excited and nervous.

Fallout 76’s big multiplayer question: Who is in charge of the story? (Polygon)

‘Fallout-with-friends’ proposition works, but can get a little chaotic

With so much of the game dependent on how nicely others play together, as well as post-launch content and balancing both promised and necessary, fans should approach Fallout 76 with eyes open to the possibility this game will take a few months to hit its stride. Playing solo and interacting with nothing but orphaned robots and audio diaries could make repetitive tasks feel even more so. Running around with friends might deliver great spontaneity and action, but less story progress. Fans will be in charge of balancing the game they play as much as Bethesda developers will have to tune the one they’ve built.

How Fallout 76 handles combat with VATS (Polygon)

It’s possible that at higher levels, or with other perk cards equipped, VATS becomes more useful. (“Concentrated Fire,” at higher ranks, confers an accuracy and damage boost if you go after the same body part.) But it’s also possible that VATS’ biggest success ends up being that it was included in a multiplayer game and nothing was broken for it. The scanning/highlighting utility may help some players who are less skilled in multiplayer shooters, which can often break down to being shot to death before you see who’s shooting. Against CPU foes, I made faster work of my enemies by free-aiming.

No NPCs in Fallout 76: It’s weird, but still workable (Polygon)

Fallout 76 is an entertaining compromise (Eurogamer)

Perhaps that's Fallout 76's real feat of the imagination, rather than its reduction of the almighty nuke to a cycling game-as-service mechanism. It tantalises with the thought of a loneliness as big as a county, a landscape of hollowed-out vignettes - Gone Home with the resources of an open world blockbuster at its disposal. But then a team-mate bounces a grenade off your head just as another group crests the road in a rattle of shotgun fire, and you're back playing that other game, the knockabout party blaster wearing Fallout's skin. It's not a natural marriage, but it has a certain rough-and-ready charm, and I'm curious to see where it takes us.

Fallout 76 Played Solo Is a Lonely, Not Lifeless Experience (US Gamer)

I'm cool with Fallout 76's solo gameplay. I'm down with digging up Appalachia's secrets while taking a potentially deadly walking tour through West Virginia's lush and slightly radioactive landscape. When I played, I heard the occasional gunshots of other players, and it was enough to remind me I wasn't alone. I loved that feeling. I'm interested to hear what other fans have to say, though.

We Answer the Big Questions About Fallout 76 (US Gamer podcast)

How Fallout 76's Nukes Work—And Why You Probably Won't be Nuked by Trolls (US Gamer)

All told, we have nothing to fear from Fallout 76's nuclear missiles. They're hard to acquire, they're not worth wasting on petty troll antics, and rebuilding is simple if the worst does happen. We probably stand a better chance of getting hit by actual nuclear weapons in the real world. Take that factoid to bed with you and sleep tight! 

Fallout 76's VATS is pretty disappointing, here it is in action (PC Gamer)

You can't slow down time or pause an online game to watch gruesome cinematic kills, so what's left of VATS?

Fallout 76 has Red Dead-style treasure maps (PC Gamer)

There are dozens of treasure maps hidden in Fallout 76 which bear an uncanny resemblance to the ones found in Red Dead Redemption. Each map depicts some crudely drawn scenery complete with an all-important X, and that's basically it. You have to rely on your eyes and memory to find the treasure, so spelunking in the Appalachian frontier is just as fun as it was in the Wild West.

Watch a nuke getting dropped on us in Fallout 76 (PC Gamer)

The 12 most surprising things we learned by playing Fallout 76 (PC Gamer)

I had been cautiously optimistic about this game, but it is starting to look like they removed what people like about the fallout games and forgot to make the combat even remotely passable. I was hoping that they would bring AAA polish to the rust-like genre, a hope that I now realize was delusional since Bethesda couldn't polish a shoe, but now this looks as watered down as a happy hour margarita.

2 hours ago, Moa said:

I had been cautiously optimistic about this game, but it is starting to look like they removed what people like about the fallout games and forgot to make the combat even remotely passable. I was hoping that they would bring AAA polish to the rust-like genre, a hope that I now realize was delusional since Bethesda couldn't polish a shoe, but now this looks as watered down as a happy hour margarita.

So... it’s like every Bethesda Fallout game?

:megaton:

Okay there's something I gotta know... 

If the world is so lush and green only a few decades after the war, what the fuck happened to everything by the time the later games rolled around? 

If there's no NPC's because "people are just now leaving the vault" then what about the Ghouls? Weren't they the ones that got trapped outside in the radiation? Weren't some of them in Fallout 3 so old they remembered WWIII? If West Virginia didn't get hit by a direct blast, then couldn't there be other lush vibrant areas in the world during the time Fallout 3 and 4 take place, where people are just chillin and living life like normal?

Oh, and also, if the purpose of Fallout 76 was to be humanity "rebuilding" then they failed miserably, if the other Fallout games are any indication. Don't bother doing anything in the game, it's obviously pointless.

The enemy AI looks very 1999, nothing has weight, this looks like a mod.

On the plus side, the world looks detailed. I don't think I have seen a game of this scale with so many building interiors. As someone who has been perpetually annoyed by being unable to enter buildings in games, it is cool to see that most buildings don't appear to be window dressings.

Fallout 76 isn't a proper Fallout game, but it’s fun anyway (PC Gamer)

One concern I've had (and still have) is with Bethesda's servers. I just can't get behind the idea of not having a server browser, of not residing on a server of your choice, one you can revisit repeatedly. I know my base will appear in the same spot whenever I login, but it's weird to think that a base built near mine simply won't be there the next time I login because the person who built it isn't around. Unless they're my personal friend, I'll probably never see them again. It could be difficult to really feel like you're rebuilding America if the buildings all vanish when their architects log out. Maybe it's better that people won't be able to trash your base while you're logged out, but it comes with a price of never feeling like you're part of a persistent world.

6 hours ago, Pikachu said:

- Resolution: Dynamic scaling. Native 4K with drops to 2880x2160p (75% of 4K)
- Textures are often quite low resolution

- Past certain distance shadows start rendering at 15 FPS

- Performance: Well under 30 FPS often, can drop to single digits in locations as well.

Yep, this is  Bethesda Games Studios title alright!

The latest controversey now is regarding the lore. Someone discovered a note in the game stating that the brotherhood of steel has a base in West Virginia when the previous games had them only out in California. Bethesda is basically making the story up as they go along. With Fallout 4 and now this it's clear they don't really care much about the series enough to improve anything from what came before including the graphics...or especially the graphics. 

On 10/8/2018 at 12:55 PM, Moa said:

This is a Bethesda game they can't let you the modders finish for them because it's online-only. :lol:

On 10/9/2018 at 12:36 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

Okay there's something I gotta know... 

If the world is so lush and green only a few decades after the war, what the fuck happened to everything by the time the later games rolled around? 

If there's no NPC's because "people are just now leaving the vault" then what about the Ghouls? Weren't they the ones that got trapped outside in the radiation? Weren't some of them in Fallout 3 so old they remembered WWIII? If West Virginia didn't get hit by a direct blast, then couldn't there be other lush vibrant areas in the world during the time Fallout 3 and 4 take place, where people are just chillin and living life like normal?

Oh, and also, if the purpose of Fallout 76 was to be humanity "rebuilding" then they failed miserably, if the other Fallout games are any indication. Don't bother doing anything in the game, it's obviously pointless.

Hey guess what, the Fallout lore has never made any sense at all.  Fallout 4 occurs over 200 years after the war, yet no one has figured out how to cut a standard 2x4  and everyone is still living in hovels.  Never mind that humanity went from horses and buggies to landing on the moon in 200 years without having any of the knowledge in advance.

45 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Hey guess what, the Fallout lore has never made any sense at all.  Fallout 4 occurs over 200 years after the war, yet no one has figured out how to cut a standard 2x4  and everyone is still living in hovels.  Never mind that humanity went from horses and buggies to landing on the moon in 200 years without having any of the knowledge in advance.

Well, Bethesda's Fallout games have never made any sense, the originals and Obsidians had proper factions and cities.  Bethesda is just really good at crafting a world, just horrible at making it seem like it functions in any way, especially their fallouts which are overrun with raiders, mutants, and robots.

4 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

I get it. I mean, I always took it with a grain of salt that there were dead plants everywhere in Fallout 4, but a plant will literally turn to dust like, two weeks after it dies, so those plants had to be alive until recently, right? Same with the trees. Have all those dead trees really been standing there for a few hundred years? When did all the plant life die, and why? 

I did always feel like it would've been fucking great if, at the end of Fallout 4, the camera slowly zooms out until you see that the entire area you've been running around in was a quarantined ground zero and that everywhere else in the world people were living life like normal.

• 2 weeks later...