How could I get my hands on a SNES?

Biggie

1 minute ago, Rodimus said:

My preference is similar to @CastlevaniaNut18 I prefer to play on real hardware. However I go through a bunch to have it look good on my HDTV and now 4k TV. I think if someon goes with emulation don't half ass it with real carts that simply dump a rom. If you want emulation go straight emulation.

I think you can clean up a SNES for the most part. If it is Yellow there are ways to clean that up. I did a few years ago and posted here before the boards died. I also wrote up a article on it here. 

http://www.nostalgicpixel.com/?p=147

Yep, the husband has used the RetroBrite method on several devices. It's definitely time consuming, though.

All this just depends on how into the hobby you are.

33 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Favorite birthday present ever was when my husband bought me a SNES model 2 with Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World. I was 18 and it was our first year of dating.

I never had one as a kid and always wanted one. 

I’m sure I’ll buy more games later on down the road. But for now it’s just Tecmo Super Bowl. I’ve been wanting to play this for a very long time. Again thanks for steering me in the right direction. I checked in those other consoles but some reviews said they graphics were washed out or just simply not too good. Which concerned me. 

11 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’m sure I’ll buy more games later on down the road. But for now it’s just Tecmo Super Bowl. I’ve been wanting to play this for a very long time. Again thanks for steering me in the right direction. I checked in those other consoles but some reviews said they graphics were washed out or just simply not too good. Which concerned me. 

SNES is the best system of all time. So many classics to play on it. I hope you enjoy. :) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Congrats! If you have any questions about getting a better picture quality and such feel free to ask about possible upscale options.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

Nostalgia is overrated.

Unless its  a Tecmo Bowl game :p

It’s my all time favorite sports game. Tecmo Bowl is cool but nothing is like playing with the actual real teams and players. 

On 9/25/2018 at 9:27 PM, chakoo said:

Then just get a snes classic, hacking it takes 5 seconds and zero brain power. It is the simplest route for you and you get hdmi out.

you just need hackchi and the rom, you just follow the readme that has you boot the unit holding down reset, click to archive the device then click to update. There you’re done in like 5 mins.

:D

I second this post for anyone else having an itch to play an older game. Buy a WiiU Classic controller and you can play anything from NES to N64 (I think) as well as gameboy, PS1, sega, etc.

Super simple to set up, super simple to get running.

If you wanna upgrade some older stuff (like the NES RBG mod) though you can check out these guys. It ain't cheap though. https://store.retrofixes.com/collections/services

6 hours ago, Nokt said:

I second this post for anyone else having an itch to play an older game. Buy a WiiU Classic controller and you can play anything from NES to N64 (I think) as well as gameboy, PS1, sega, etc.

Super simple to set up, super simple to get running.

If you wanna upgrade some older stuff (like the NES RBG mod) though you can check out these guys. It ain't cheap though. https://store.retrofixes.com/collections/services

There are some interesting services on their site.  I would be tempted to get my nes toploader modded with composite.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Dafuq? It has only one Metroid and it's the best one, hands down! How you not know these things?!

I’m a noob. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Be warned, though. This is not a cheap system to buy games for. A lot of the best stuff is also highly sought after and it's pricey. 

Yeah I’m only going to buy the best of the best. Figured people in these retro threads will have great recommendations. 

4 hours ago, Biggie said:

I’m a noob. 

Yeah I’m only going to buy the best of the best. Figured people in these retro threads will have great recommendations. 

Super Metroid is frequently ranked among the best games of all time.

Since you haven't heard of it, I have no idea what else you're aware of on the system. A lot of games have been made available through the VC service and have had ports on newer systems.

Have you ever played A Link to the Past? Normally, I'd assume that'd be a yes, but in light of your posts, I have no idea now. :p 

47 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Lotta good beat 'em ups that aren't too pricey. Tons of great JRPGs. 

Just let me know what you're interested in and I'll try to make recommendations, complete with price, so you get an idea of what to spend.

Well of course sports games. That’s what let’s me revisit my childhood. Lol.

RPGS are great too. 

Fighters can can be fun but I’ve really only play Tekken. 

Anything odd or obscure is cool too. Things I may not even be aware of. 

18 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Well of course sports games. That’s what let’s me revisit my childhood. Lol.

RPGS are great too. 

Fighters can can be fun but I’ve really only play Tekken. 

Anything odd or obscure is cool too. Things I may not even be aware of. 

Can't help you much with the sports games, I don't even play modern sports games, with the exception of zany stuff like Mario sports. Same with fighting games. I'm not even really familiar with any fighting games on the SNES, aside from the Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter stuff.

Tons of RPGs. Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy, Lufia, Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana, for starters. Some of those aren't super cheap, though.

Other good stuff, like the Donkey Kong Country games, Super Adventure Island, Joe & Mac, Super Ghouls & Ghosts, the Kirby games, Castlevania IV, Actraiser, Batman Returns, Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, Yoshi's Island.

Phew, I'll stop there for now. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Oh, my god, I'm dying...you didn't know Chrono Trigger was originally on SNES? I can't even. Beware, that one is pricey.

Castlevania IV is my personal favorite in the series of the old school style. 

Yeah I started gaming mostly with the PS1. Only reason I even owned a SNES was for Tecmo Super Bowl. :blush: