How could I get my hands on a SNES?

Biggie

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

That’s no problem. But there are so many sellers I’m worried about which one to trust. 

Find a seller with good feedback, read the listing thoroughly, and you shouldn't have a problem. I use eBay all the time for retro stuff and I've hardly ever had an issue because I do my homework.

Also, your TV probably has a composite input, most still do, I think. If so, don't bother with the converter. It's gonna look like shit, either way.

• Thanks 1

Most used game mom and pop shops I’ve been to have always been very nice and honest about their old stuff. They’ll usually have a pretty upfront policy. 

They make a range of tech to converting the SNES video output to modern TVs, but I personally think the easiest way is to just have a CRT TV on hand.

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

All I want it for is to play Tecmo Super Bowl. 

Then just get a snes classic, hacking it takes 5 seconds and zero brain power. It is the simplest route for you and you get hdmi out.

you just need hackchi and the rom, you just follow the readme that has you boot the unit holding down reset, click to archive the device then click to update. There you’re done in like 5 mins.

:D

Ain't nobody got a CRT these days, unless you're a retro games nut, like those of us on this sub-forum.

But like I said, just use the composite input on your TV. Unless you're spending a lot of money and effort into an elaborate setup like a lot of us have here, a cheap converter is still gonna look like ass on a modern TV.

11 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Man there are sooooo many sellers of these things. I have no idea who to trust. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Nintendo-SNES-Console-Video-Game-System-Complete/263948824561?epid=219532720&hash=item3d74936ff1:g:89oAAOSwFzZbo9-E

There you go. Like I said, just read the description and if the seller has good feedback, you're fine.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

He only wants to play one game, though. 

Yeah but like a Retron3 will cost around the same or less than an actual SNES, and if down the road he ever decides there's another cart game he wants to play for one of the other systems it supports he won't have to go buy another console.

Just now, Slug said:

Yeah but like a Retron3 will cost around the same or less than an actual SNES, and if down the road he ever decides there's another cart game he wants to play for one of the other systems it supports he won't have to go buy another console.

I'm just going by what he says he wants. 

Plus, I'm not a fan of those types of consoles. 

8 minutes ago, Slug said:

I like 'em for input economy.  One HDMI cable; all my retro carts.

How reliable is that thing? I checked it out. I like the wireless controllers and the hdmi cable makes things super easy. Also the fact that it’s brand new is a plus too. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I prefer authenticity, but I guess it's okay for people who aren't picky. 

My only concern is these consoles look sort of beat up. Guess I could just be patient and keep looking for one in really good shape. I’ve already ordered the game. It was in exellent condition with original box and manual!

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

My only concern is these consoles look sort of beat up. Guess I could just be patient and keep looking for one in really good shape. I’ve already ordered the game. It was in exellent condition with original box and manual!

Well, these systems are over 20 years old, so you'll be a little hard-pressed to find one in immaculate condition and  you'll probably have to pay a bit of a premium. 

A Retron would probably be okay for someone like you. I just don't like them, because I prefer original hardware and these types of consoles generally have issues with emulation.

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Well, these systems are over 20 years old, so you'll be a little hard-pressed to find one in immaculate condition and  you'll probably have to pay a bit of a premium. 

A Retron would probably be okay for someone like you. I just don't like them, because I prefer original hardware and these types of consoles generally have issues with emulation.

I checked the back of my Sony 4K tv. It seems to have the composite hookups? I was kinda shocked they were there. 

My preference is similar to @CastlevaniaNut18 I prefer to play on real hardware. However I go through a bunch to have it look good on my HDTV and now 4k TV. I think if someon goes with emulation don't half ass it with real carts that simply dump a rom. If you want emulation go straight emulation.

I think you can clean up a SNES for the most part. If it is Yellow there are ways to clean that up. I did a few years ago and posted here before the boards died. I also wrote up a article on it here. 

http://www.nostalgicpixel.com/?p=147