Steam Blog: Controller Gaming on PC (Xbox 360 controller dominates ownership)

Commissar SFLUFAN

Steam Blog:

Three years later, the Steam Input experiment is starting to bear interesting results. By supporting so many controller types we've learned about which controllers are being used on the platform and by accommodating customization we've learned how players prefer to interact with different genres. Today we'll share figures on which controllers have been connected to Steam, how controllers are being used, and what happens when a new controller is released on the platform. We'll also discuss the Steam Controller and how hardware choices set it apart from other controller types.

817181596da53a62e63586af4a3334433e1e818f

84d4c109838957adff1a5274fc33811b5731ea32

My Wii U Pro would connect as a 360 controller, I wonder how many more are like that? Either way, I've moved on to the Switch Pro.

6 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Is there anything I need to use the switch pro on my PC?

If you don't have bluetooth, USB works too. I have both, but I find it easier just to plug in my long USB cord and play.

On 9/27/2018 at 12:52 AM, Jason said:

What gets you to use one over the other for a game?

Honestly mostly it's compatibility. If the game works fine with the Switch pad (which every Steam game now does) then it's pretty much gonna be the Switch pad. But for games not on Steam (adding yet another layer of irritation to other launchers) then I use the Elite pad. But also I play multiplayer games with my family, so it comes in handy.

I guess I can see why some folks would choose a wired controller, but why not just get a wireless one and just leave it plugged in? Same deal except you can make it wireless whenever you need to.

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Honestly mostly it's compatibility. If the game works fine with the Switch pad (which every Steam game now does) then it's pretty much gonna be the Switch pad. But for games not on Steam (adding yet another layer of irritation to other launchers) then I use the Elite pad. But also I play multiplayer games with my family, so it comes in handy.

I guess I can see why some folks would choose a wired controller, but why not just get a wireless one and just leave it plugged in? Same deal except you can make it wireless whenever you need to.

I think my context switching between Switch controller and Xbox controller button layouts, which is finally starting to be okay, would instantly break down if I started using my Switch controller with Steam :p 

Almost all controller button prompts on PC are Xbox-based anyway, so it wouldn't change anything for me. Holding a Switch pad doesn't make me mentally switch to the Switch's button layout, I go entirely on the prompts themselves. Going between Xbox and Switch has the potential for the most confusion, though. Xbox and PS4 are entirely different concepts, so they're easy to align. Xbox and Switch are the same letters arranged in entirely different manners, to make people mad!

9 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Almost all controller button prompts on PC are Xbox-based anyway, so it wouldn't change anything for me. Holding a Switch pad doesn't make me mentally switch to the Switch's button layout, I go entirely on the prompts themselves. Going between Xbox and Switch has the potential for the most confusion, though. Xbox and PS4 are entirely different concepts, so they're easy to align. Xbox and Switch are the same letters arranged in entirely different manners, to make people mad!

But you see, that's exactly the problem! :p The PC would start using Xbox prompts and then I'd be internalizing the association between those button prompts and the pad I was holding. But then that's wrong! So when I switch back to a Switch game, I'll have to undo it. Right now I'm pretty sure my brain is only finally handling it because the controller I'm holding does the context switch for me.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:14 AM, CitizenVectron said:

My 360 controller still works great for PC, so I see no reason to update to a One controller yet!

I loved the 360 controller, but the thumbsticks on the XBO controllers are much more resilient. I still have a Day One 2013 controller that I've used heavily and it still doesn't show any of the creeping that the old 360 thumbsticks did.

I just wish the XBO controller had the heft that the 360 ones did. When I sat a 360 controller on my leg, it sat. The XBO controllers slide off with the slightest tilt of my knee. It's annoying.