~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

NCs maps are due to be redrawn because they were found to be illegal gerrymanders based on race, and then again because they explicitly said they were trying to squeeze dems into as few districts as possible, they dragged it out so that they weren't done for this election.

Fine, pay the piper in a presidential year you gerrymandering racist fuckwads:angry:

I saw this picture of Tony Evers, the guy who beat Scott Walker, and I heard Stephen Colbert's voice in my head with one of his half real, half joke introductions.....

GettyImages-1057323180.jpg?w=480&ssl=1

Former teacher and wimpy scientist from an 80's movie telling the military guy in charge "You can't just do that." Tony Evers.....

• Haha 1

There are 500-600k early ballots left to be counted in AZ and they won't report till thursday evening, lol.  McSally has a 15k vote lead currently.  475k are from the Maricopa county, where Sinema has a slight edge of just under 1%. and 80-100k ballots from Pima where Sinema has a ~12% edge.

GA is counting mail votes, and if Kemp drops below 50% theres a Dec. 4th runoff hes currently at 50.4%

Close CA races could take weeks as votes just have to be post marked for election day, there are 6 races that haven't been called there.

8 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

There are 500-600k early ballots left to be counted in AZ and they won't report till thursday evening, lol.  McSally has a 15k vote lead currently.  475k are from the Maricopa county, where Sinema has a slight edge of just under 1%.

Why oh why are we so bad at this?

Last night was a huge win for Democrats - the amount of power having control of the House gives them provides inherent protections we haven't had for two years. While I'm disappointed we lost three Senate seats, we did gain two (Tester now confirmed to have won) and three are still in dispute that we could take. If Trump's best spin is: "we kept the Senate" well that was already a pretty foregone conclusion to begin with. Winning the House and flipping at least five governorships is huge (though it is disappointing we didn't take more). Seeing Andrew Gillum and Beto O'Rourke both lose sucks (and shows me this country is way, way, way more racist than I could have possibly imagined for 2018) but gaining three really hard House wins in Virginia levels that out. In a normal election cycle, we shouldn't have won anything so the fact we've done as well as we did is most definitely a win.

Given all the gerrymandering, court packing, and voter suppression methods the Republicans have been instituting at the local and state levels for the past 10-15 years while no one was looking because people don't care about local and state level elections (they should, and this is why!) the Democrats have been playing this game with one hand tied behind their back - which needs to change so please everyone vote at all levels! But, with one hand tied behind their back, I rate last night a solid B minus, perhaps a B. I can't wait to see all of Trump's tax returns, in full.  :)

Someone please tell me how to fix this copy and paste of my own words. :p 

1 minute ago, Pikachu said:

Edited, if you look on the right side when editing/writing your post, you will see an eraser looking icon. That removes all formatting.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Much thanks - you're pretty great for a pokemon. 

Also, immediately after you paste text in, if there's formatting you could remove a "paste as plain text" dialogue box will appear in the bottom of the editor. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MarSolo said:

So can I call this a Blue Wave? Because there’s a $10,000 bet with some rube I may need to collect on.

I do hope that before you made such a bet that you operationally defined what constituted a "blue wave." If you did, it should be easy for you to know.

41 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Seeing Andrew Gillum and Beto O'Rourke both lose sucks (and shows me this country is way, way, way more racist than I could have possibly imagined for 2018) 

Gillum I get, but what does racism have to do with O’Rourke losing?

On the other hand, Dems played a very good hand in the House.

By Labor Day, Republicans were fatally unprepared for an onslaught of Democratic campaign spending that overwhelmed their candidates from South Florida to Seattle. Party leaders on Capitol Hill and in the White House soon turned on one another and against their candidates with growing intensity. Two key groups — the National Republican Congressional Committee, the party’s campaign arm in the House, and the Congressional Leadership Fund, a powerful Republican super PAC — plunged into all but open warfare over messaging and money.

Democrats, in turn, delivered a message about health care with the repetitive force of a jackhammer. They cracked congressional maps drawn to favor Republicans and seized an array of open seats, while also felling longtime incumbents who had grown complacent.

But the most stunning exit was Mr. Ryan’s. After alienating senior colleagues with legislative arm-twisting and committing his conference to a hard-line agenda that left them gravely vulnerable, Mr. Ryan announced abruptly in April that he was retiring. While he promised to keep raising money for fellow Republicans, Mr. Ryan’s contributions to the party would steadily decline; in the last fund-raising quarter of the campaign, his political committee transferred a paltry $1.4 million to the N.R.C.C., less than some first-time Democratic candidates raised for themselves.

Mr. Ryan’s decision left the Republican conference in a baleful mood — and enraged senior White House aides and Senator Mitch McConnell, the majority leader.

“He thought it was selfish,” said Josh Holmes, Mr. McConnell’s top political adviser, recalling the lawmaker’s reaction to Mr. Ryan’s announcement: “If he wanted to leave, he could leave after the election. He let all his guys hang out to dry.”

Former Representative Pat Tiberi of Ohio, a long-serving Republican who resigned in January to take a private-sector job, said Republicans had “overreached” and handed Democrats a decisive advantage on health care as a political issue.

“We probably should have taken on infrastructure in a bipartisan way first and then maybe tax reform next, rather than health care first,” Mr. Tiberi said.

Trump helping to sink a Republican, whose primary opponent lost:

Watching television aboard Air Force One, on a flight back from his summit in Singapore with Kim Jong Un, the North Korean despot, Mr. Trump decreed that Representative Mark Sanford of South Carolina must be defeated.

Mr. Sanford, an idiosyncratic conservative who routinely criticized the president, was in a tough primary battle with Katie Arrington, a state legislator running as a Trump loyalist. Hours after Mr. Trump’s message, Mr. Sanford conceded defeat.

If Mr. Sanford suffered in June for his apostasy, Mr. Trump’s party paid another price Tuesday: Ms. Arrington lost the general election in a heavily Republican district to Joe Cunningham, a Democrat.

And what Trump thinks of Governor-Elect DeSantis:

And in some cases, Mr. Trump upended his party’s well-laid plans, only to change his mind or lose interest. In Florida, he endorsed Ron DeSantis, a member of Congress who defended him frequently on Fox News, for governor. Yet when Mr. DeSantis broke with the president, over Mr. Trump’s false claim that the death toll in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria had been nefariously inflated, the president turned on his handpicked candidate.

Mr. DeSantis ultimately won the governorship by a tiny margin, but Mr. Trump criticized him bitterly in the final days of the race. The former congressman, he complained to a friend, “was low-energy.” Mr. DeSantis even earned a nickname: “Little Ronny D.”

• Thanks 1

How the Dems strategized for the House:

Nancy Pelosi did not want to talk about Planned Parenthood.

It was a meeting of House Democrats early in 2017, during Republicans’ drive that March to strike down the Affordable Care Act. Ms. Pelosi and her political lieutenants laid out their counterattack: Democrats would talk about pre-existing conditions and millions of people losing coverage. And they would talk about an “age tax” — a provision in the Obamacare replacement passed by the House, which would have allowed health insurers to widen the premium gap between younger and older customers.

Ms. Pelosi acknowledged it would require restraint from Democrats. In her own San Francisco district, she said, people wanted her to fight the health care battle over funding for Planned Parenthood and Medicaid. “Those things are in our DNA, but they are not in our talking points,” Ms. Pelosi became fond of saying, according to a close associate.

Representative Ben Ray Luján of New Mexico, chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, said in an interview that it had been challenging to break the habit of responding with reflexive, public outrage to Mr. Trump’s utterances, especially as those utterances grew increasingly inflammatory. On a campaign swing in his home state the weekend before the election, Mr. Luján said Democratic leaders envisioned a starkly different path to victory, noting that in 2016 a character-driven campaign “didn’t work.” But the temptation persisted.

“Every time he would say something or tweet something, it would come back: ‘We need to come right back at him! Define him!’” Mr. Luján recalled. “We would say: Look, we don’t need to talk about him, he’s going to do it himself. We need to continue to have a conversation with the American people about kitchen-table issues.”

That judgment was backed up by a vast trove of research, collected by Democratic committees and super PACs through polling and focus groups. House Majority PAC, the caucus’s main super PAC, carried out two intensive research projects, studying right-of-center suburban voters and blue-collar whites who supported Mr. Trump. It concluded that only a message about health care and jobs could win over both groups.

Mr. Lamb’s upset rattled the Republicans and spurred other moderate Democrats — including a sizable group elected this week — to disavow Ms. Pelosi. On the Republican side, the race stirred new doubts about whether attacks on Ms. Pelosi could save their majority.

“What was apparent there,” Mr. Luján said, “is that Republicans did not have a playbook to run against our candidates.”

Ms. Pelosi herself was seemingly untroubled: During a fund-raising trip to Pennsylvania early in the summer, she expressed no discomfort with Mr. Lamb. On the contrary, she named him and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the left-wing insurgent who won a New York primary in June, as the ideological poles of an emerging Democratic congressional majority.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

A co-worker and I got into a conversation last summer about how Scott was owning the airwaves and Nelson was barely doing anything. He started his campaign after the primaries, but Scott did the same thing in 2014 when he saturated airwaves with negative ads about Charlie Crist early in the year. 

I think Nelson's ads exploiting Scott's likely criminal history were good negative ads considering Scott really sucks, but I'm surprised he didn't try to own the "Red Tide Rick" moniker.

25 minutes ago, Jose said:

Btw, I have absolutely loved this thread. Fright and Paladin have done great work here and should be appreciated for it. Can't wait for the 2020 coverage. 

They have done excellent work.

But I can wait for the 2020 coverage.

Which will begin next week when we get some Dem presidential candidacy announcements.

God strike me down now please.

• Thanks 1