~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

50 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I have friends and family down there... it wouldn't have mattered. That State is one big question Mark of lunacy.

I'm not suggesting it caused people to vote Republican, but how many Democrats stayed home because he went centrist after running more progressive in the primary? 

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

More interesting is that Georgia may go to a runoff election for governor.

Where did you see that? Looks like Kemp is over 50% with 100 percent reporting. Are there absentee ballots or something thing need to be counted?

Just now, MarSolo said:

So can I call this a Blue Wave? Because there’s a $10,000 bet with some rube I may need to collect on.

I think it qualifies. Honestly, if Florida hadn’t kicked things off on such a wobbly wrong foot I think everybody would have viewed it that way. The Dems didn’t run up the score in the House like they could have, but it was a solid showing and they had some nice surprises along the way.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think it qualifies. Honestly, if Florida hadn’t kicked things off on such a wobbly wrong foot I think everybody would have viewed it that way. The Dems didn’t run up the score in the House like they could have, but it was a solid showing and they had some nice surprises along the way.

People were so caught up with Florida that it colored their perception of the good results in many other races.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also Gillum is closing the gap, there may be a recount. Having said that, there is still very little chance he wins it as there will be somewhere between a 35,000-60,000 gap (under 41,000 is needed for a recount).

More interesting is that Georgia may go to a runoff election for governor.

1 minute ago, PaladinSolo said:

His lead has been shrinking all day today.

Are you guys saying the two black candidates are showing up late?:nottalking:

Also, I don't see how in the fuck black female voters would go against Gillum by 18%. Remember in Alabama when Moore got about as close to 0% of a demographic as we have ever seen when literally only 2 or 3% of black women voted for him?

6 minutes ago, rc0101 said:

So glad Tester won. 

The bad is that we lost enough seats so that any hope of stopping Senate work by picking off a few votes like Collins or Murkowski is essentially gone.

The good is that every race like Tester's we eeked out this year means one less we need to pick up in 2020 to get back to 50.

Outside of confirming judges, the urgency of getting some GOP defectors has lost much of its weight anyway, because most bills won't go anywhere without the House. But it's worth considering again what we prevented by taking over the House. The Senate has been the one, tiny check on Trump the past two years. With McCain dying, Flake and Corker leaving, and Collins seemingly embracing her inner Trump the Senate has a slate of incoming Trumpheads that may make the Senate as bad as Nune's House was.

6 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

The bad is that we lost enough seats so that any hope of stopping Senate work by picking off a few votes like Collins or Murkowski is essentially gone.

As noted in that "Schumer Surrenders" article I've posted a few times, there's plenty Schumer could do to gunk up the works to keep McConnell from just ramming all of these judicial nominations through.

Just now, Chris- said:

So really, the joke is on us for actually giving shit about that shithole for once.

The race we should be cheering on in Florida is whether the climate induced super storm that will inevitably sweep it back into the frigid embrace of Poseidon's realm will uppercut it from the Gulf, or sideswipe it from the Atlantic.

I vote Atlantic. It looks like you could snap it off with justone good hit....

5 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Slow them down, but not block them.

Slowing them down is a hell of a lot better than actively helping McConnell push them through. I really don't get all this shoulder-shrugging about "nothing we can do" when there ARE things that could be done if Schumer wasn't a spineless bitch.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Slowing them down is a hell of a lot better than actively helping McConnell push them through. I really don't get all this shoulder-shrugging about "nothing we can do" when there ARE things that could be done if Schumer wasn't a spineless bitch.

The GOP has shown many times over the last 40 years to gum up the works for Dems in various states of minority positions in the legislature. It’s absputely possible to slow the process significantly and that does hurt the overall ability if the majority to get work done.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

NCs maps are due to be redrawn because they were found to be illegal gerrymanders based on race, and then again because they explicitly said they were trying to squeeze dems into as few districts as possible, they dragged it out so that they weren't done for this election.