~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

32 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Assuming Cornyn runs for re-election in Texas, he is much safer bet than Cruz was. Republicans in Texas like Cornyn much more than Cruz. And I don’t think you’re going to have nearly as dynamic a candidate as O’Rourke to challenge him.

Hard to say what's going to happen, TX has been slowly shifting dem for years, Beto created a whole new dem machine there, get a good candidate and a great pres candidate, against the Trump GOP where who knows what shit they'll step in next. 

4 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Dems should expand Medicare and Social Security, reinvest in unemployment benefits. Expand ACA and make it harder to dismantle by politics. 

Double the cap on Social Security contributions as a way to collect more money from the rich. Also easier to sell than raising their taxes since people view the two things differently.

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Senators will never have to take a difficult vote in the next two years in any progressive legislation from the house

5 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm not following your phrasing?

Oh, I think I understand it now.

Any Senate vote on progressive House legislation has no real threat of actually passing.  Got it!

22 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Trump wants the Democrats to do the work and to take credit. They should be careful not to hand him 2020. Pass bills people want but Republicans hate and force them to vote no.

He's created an environment where Republican voters would believe him.

24 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Hard to say what's going to happen, TX has been slowly shifting dem for years, Beto created a whole new dem machine there, get a good candidate and a great pres candidate, against the Trump GOP where who knows what shit they'll step in next. 

I agree that the O’Rourke built electoral apparatus in Texas for the Dems matters, so long as it’s kept up with.

11 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Oh, I think I understand it now.

Any Senate vote on progressive House legislation has no real threat of actually passing.  Got it!

No, there simply won't be a Senate vote. Turtle takes the heat to protect incumbents in 2020 while simultaneously denying on the record votes for relatively popular progressive things

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

No, there simply won't be a Senate vote. Turtle takes the heat to protect incumbents in 2020 while simultaneously denying on the record votes for relatively popular progressive things

I could 100% see the Senate refusing to hold any votes for two years when it's run by McConnell.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I could 100% see the Senate refusing to hold any votes for two years when it's run by McConnell.

They will vote to confirm judges and executive branch people. And turtle won't let the government shut down or default because of his doing (within reason). Other than that, nothing.