~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

45 minutes ago, Dawnguard2001 said:

I do look forward to Nancy’s tweet being very stern when Trump declares the 2020 results void and stays in office.

"The President is negating the most basic, fundamental concept of representative democracy, the peaceful transition of power. I look forward to negotiating in good faith with the president on the first day of his illegally begotten third term."

34 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

"The President is negating the most basic, fundamental concept of representative democracy, the peaceful transition of power. I look forward to negotiating in good faith with the president on the first day of his illegally begotten third term."

"My fellow Americans I have reached a deal! God-Emperor and First Citizen Trump has agreed to not deify Prince Barron until he ascends the Imperial Throne!"

43 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

I still don’t understand why universal background checks would prevent someone lending firearms to their friends. 

Do I have to undergo a background check if my friend lets me borrow his gun, even when I already own several guns?  Does he have to undergo a background check when I give his own gun back to him?

24 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Do I have to undergo a background check if my friend lets me borrow his gun, even when I already own several guns?  Does he have to undergo a background check when I give his own gun back to him?

Idk I’m sure this could all be sorted out when determining the specifics of the plan.

8 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Even if the answer to all of that was yes, that just makes it a pain on the ass. That never passes into impossible territory.

9 hours ago, SilentWorld said:

Idk I’m sure this could all be sorted out when determining the specifics of the plan.

54 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Even if the answer to all of that was yes, that just makes it a pain on the ass. That never passes into impossible territory.

This is the way several states do universal background checks.  And the checks aren't free either - you have to go to the gun shop to do the check, and the fee could be anywhere from $20 to $50 or more.  Once you are done borrowing my gun (say you wanted to take my .22 out plinking over the weekend), we have to go back to the gun shop, do a background check on myself, pay another $20 to $50, and then I can have my gun back.

States with UBCs like this also have piss poor compliance rates.  I suppose you could make the penalties even harsher to enforce the law, but why not just make the system easier to comply with?  Make the system free and easy to use for the buyer and seller so they never even have to step foot in a gun store.  

29 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

This is the way several states do universal background checks.  And the checks aren't free either - you have to go to the gun shop to do the check, and the fee could be anywhere from $20 to $50 or more.  Once you are done borrowing my gun (say you wanted to take my .22 out plinking over the weekend), we have to go back to the gun shop, do a background check on myself, pay another $20 to $50, and then I can have my gun back.

States with UBCs like this also have piss poor compliance rates.  I suppose you could make the penalties even harsher to enforce the law, but why not just make the system easier to comply with?  Make the system free and easy to use for the buyer and seller so they never even have to step foot in a gun store.  

Freedom isn’t free.

What, you think bullets grow on trees? 

Just now, MarSolo said:

Freedom isn’t free.

What, you think bullets grow on trees? 

Just like printing pamphlets isn't free - I have to pay a printer to print them for me, or invest in a printing press to do it myself.  But there shouldn't have to be additional government fees or taxes on a civil right just so I can practice it.  

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Just like printing pamphlets isn't free - I have to pay a printer to print them for me, or invest in a printing press to do it myself.  But there shouldn't have to be additional government fees or taxes on a civil right just so I can practice it.  

So the people that do background checks’ time is worth anything? 

Are you suggesting we socialize background checks and enslave the people that do them?

2 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

So the people that do background checks’ time is worth anything? 

Are you suggesting we socialize background checks and enslave the people that do them?

I'm suggesting we don't use gun shops to facilitate background checks.  I'm suggesting we let buyers and sellers access NICS themselves.  Yes, there is a cost associated with doing that, but that can be budgeted for through an increase in funds for the FBI.  If we want people to actually use the system, you need to make it free and easy to use . 

I think NICS currently employees around 500 full time employee and contractors.  Everything I've read on the subject is that they are incredibly overburdened as it is.  Doubling the number of employees and contractors would obviously raise the NICS budget, but it would decrease the burden on current workers for the agency, and allow for more checks from private sales.  

2 minutes ago, chakoo said:

@mclumber1 would you be apposed to simplifying the whole thing and mirroring a license route much like for cars/bikes? I mean you wouldn't freely loan out your car to someone if you know they don't have a valid license. 

I wouldn't oppose a licensing system somewhat similar to the Canadian system, but I wouldn't mandate safe-storage requirements, weapons class restrictions, and transportation restrictions.  Undergo a background check once, you are then issued an ID card.  Anytime you buy a gun (private sale or at a gun shop), the seller calls in to NICS or visits a website, punches in the buyer's information, and is given a proceed/deny/wait check. 

That would actually be more stringent then the Canadian system.  As long as the buyer has a PAL card, they are simply given the gun by seller.  They don't verify that there card is still good, as far as I know.