~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

AS BORDER CRISIS DEEPENS, NANCY PELOSI ASKS FOR PRAYER TO HEAL DEMOCRATIC RIFTS (The Intercept)

HOUSE SPEAKER NANCY PELOSI continued her criticism of the progressives in her party at a private House Democratic caucus meeting on Wednesday. ā€œEvery time Iā€™m attacked, I raise more money,ā€ Pelosi said, looking directly at Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and drawing huge applause from the caucus.

Ā 

• Guillotine 4

And AOC returns fire in the Washington Post

ā€œWhen these comments first started, I kind of thought that she was keeping the progressive flank at more of an armā€™s distance in order to protect more moderate members, which I understood,ā€ Ocasio-Cortez told the Post.

Ā 

ā€œBut the persistent singling out ā€¦ it got to a point where it was just outright disrespectful ā€¦ the explicit singling out of newly elected women of color,ā€ she added.

Ā 

21 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

what happened to all of the Pelosi defendersĀ 

Ā 

Yeah, seriously. Where's all those guys who kept telling me I was wrong or mistaken earlier in this very thread that Pelosi was shitty from the start? Oh wait . . .Ā 

Ā 

I can tell you now I'm right about Buttigieg too (he sucks). But I'll wait for many of you to catch up to me, as usual. :pĀ 

15 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ā 

Yeah, seriously. Where's all those guys who kept telling me I was wrong or mistaken earlier in this very thread that Pelosi was shitty from the start? Oh wait . . .Ā 

Ā 

I can tell you now I'm right about Buttigieg too (he sucks). But I'll wait for many of you to catch up to me, as usual. :pĀ 

Ā 

Why is everything so black and white with everyone here lately?

16 minutes ago, Jose said:

Ā 

Why is everything so black and white with everyone here lately?

Ā 

It's not black and white. I've admitted earlier that Pelosi is good at raising funds (corporate donor funds, so not really a good thing) and she did well with the government shutdown.

Ā 

But she sucks. She's a corporate Democrat bought by dark money, end of story. It's black and white because they've made it that way. Did you read the Maureen Dowd piece? It was ridiculous.

40 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Mayo Pete released that plan to combat systematic racism today which got my attention, so he marginally increased his favorability rating.

Ā 

It's all a show, I'm not sure why people are buying his hype. What makes people think he's authentic? He's only ever waffled and equivocated. But sure, all the crazy shit that's happened in South Bend means he's a good politican? His own few constituents in his little time as a politican means he's a bungler.Ā But sure, he's not just responding to the racism out of South BendĀ like any politician would and won't actually follow through. Or the fact he accepts corporate donor money. I liked theĀ marginallyĀ bit though. :pĀ 

Ā 

We were tricked by Obama, and O'Rourke, now it's Mayor Pete. C'mon guys, authenticity is so integral to believing they'll actually do what they say they are going to do. I don't question for a minute Warren and Sanders will do what they say they will do. The rest are variations of Pelosi and "more of the same". This world needs positive transformational change, not the tranquilizing drug of gradualism into obsolescence.Ā 

Ā 

Unless you want us all to burn, in which case, you do you (speaking in general now heh).

31 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ā 

It's all a show, I'm not sure why people are buying his hype. What makes people think he's authentic? He's only ever waffled and equivocated. But sure, all the crazy shit that's happened in South Bend means he's a good politican?Ā But sure, he's not just responding to thatĀ like any politician would and won't actually follow through. Or the fact he accepts corporate donor money. I liked theĀ marginallyĀ bit though. :pĀ 

Ā 

We were tricked by Obama, and O'Rourke, now it's Mayor Pete. C'mon guys, authenticity is so integral to believing they'll actually do what they say they are going to do. I don't question for a minute Warren and Sanders will do what they say they will do. The rest are variations of Pelosi and "more of the same". This world needs positive transformational change, not the tranquilizing drug of gradualism.

Ā 

Unless you want us all to burn, in which case, you do you (speaking in general now heh).

Man, you are REALLY reading far too much into my incredibly tepid "endorsement" of Mayo Pete's plan to address systemic racism.Ā  You've literally read "War & Peace" into what amounts to little more than an advertising flyer you find stuck under your windshield wiper.

Ā 

Do you SERIOUSLY believe that Warren or Sanders will 100% stick to their guns when the chips are down?Ā  If so, I've got some fantastic real estate in the Florida Everglades to sell to you!Ā  They are politicians, nothing more, nothing less.Ā  And you should expect them to act accordingly.Ā  If a politician acted exactly how they said they would,Ā  I would question their intelligence.

Ā Ā 

Finally,Ā  I absolutely wantĀ GƶtterdƤmmerung for everything and everyone!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Man, you are REALLY reading far too much into my incredibly tepid "endorsement" of Mayo Pete's plan to address systemic racism.Ā  You've literally read "War & Peace" into what amounts to little more than an advertising flyer you find stuck under your windshield wiper.

Ā 

Do you SERIOUSLY believe that Warren or Sanders will 100% stick to their guns when the chips are down?Ā  If so, I've got some fantastic real estate in the Florida Everglades to sell to you!Ā  They are politicians, nothing more, nothing less.Ā  And you should expect them to act accordingly.Ā  If a politician acted exactly how they said they would,Ā  I would question their intelligence.

Ā Ā 

Finally,Ā  I absolutely wantĀ GƶtterdƤmmerung for everything and everyone!

Ā 

I'm not sure what reading too much into it means. You made a straightforward post I responded to. The post I madeĀ is meant for the thread, notĀ justĀ you, but my questions are fair. And yes, I believe Warren and Sanders will champion what they are advertising, because they've been consistent for decades on a number of the issues they are still trumpeting today. Most politicians (Harris is a great example) just say and do whatever seems popular or will get them a lot of donor money at the time. Note that many politicians were against gay marriage until the late 2000's/2010's. That'sĀ insane. Their values, like their integrity, is fucked. People like Warren and Sanders didn't just flip,Ā super later I may add, on those issues. They were for those kinds of values for awhile.

Ā 

Warren and Sanders' consistency has already been proven. Will they get everything they say they willĀ actuallyĀ get done? Of course not - but at least they are starting from an authentic place, which is better than most politicians. If you really believe what you're saying, then you haven't been following this stuff closely because of course while they are politicians, a majority of their policy positions remain consistent with themselves. This is the entire difference between progressives and everyone else.Ā 

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

Neither Warren nor Sanders have had to face the "real" challenge to their positions that comes with being in an executive rather than legislative role, especially since both are esconed in relatively safe bastions of liberalism.

Ā 

So have none of the other candidates. So? As I said, authenticity is a good starting place. Better than what we've often gotten before. Surely we should at least start there? I'm not saying I can predict the future but at least I can look at their past and judge them as a person on the whole as a result based on all that evidence.Ā 

Ā 

They have both proven to actually be great political managers given their decades of experience and they know how the Presidency works better than most. So I think they are as mentally prepared as anyone. Why don't you think so? :)

27 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

They have both proven to actually be great political managers given their decades of experience and they know how the Presidency works better than most. So I think they are as mentally prepared as anyone. Why don't you think so? :)

As a rule, I tend to view the skillsets necessary to be an effective legislator as being fundamentally different than those necessary to be an effective executive.

Congressional Black Caucus rips AOC-aligned Justice Democrats for targeting black lawmakers for primary challenges

ā€œI canā€™t tell you how pissed off people areā€ about the Justice Democrats, the aide added. ā€œAll these CBC members feel like they are under siege. But itā€™s offensive that these elitist white liberals feel like they can undermine the foundation of our party,ā€ African American voters.

Ā 

They're not entitled to their seats. Primary challenges are good, especially in relatively safe districts (which is why I assume they're being 'targeted' in the first place). As long as they're not primarily going after CBC members let them fuss, and let the voters sort it out.