~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

Google gave more money to federal level politicians in 2018 than all Pro-Israel groups combined.

What all the Jew blaming misses is that American politicians are pro-Israel primarily because of the Christian Zionism of a large subset of voters, not because they are getting paid.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Google gave more money to federal level politicians in 2018 than all Pro-Israel groups combined.

What all the Jew blaming misses is that American politicians are pro-Israel primarily because of the Christian Zionism of a large subset of voters, not because they are getting paid.

Or could it be because anytime someone criticizes Israel they are called an anti-semite? You're right that there is more than money involved in this, and the American culture at large has been twisted to equate the Israeli state with Jewish people everywhere.

If you use language, symbols, and tropes of anti-semites (like Omar’s “Israel is hypnotizing the world” comments), the onus is on you to convince people you didn’t mean it the way the anti-semites mean it.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

If you use language, symbols, and tropes of anti-semites (like Omar’s “Israel is hypnotizing the world” comments), the onus is on you to convince people you didn’t mean it the way the anti-semites mean it.

Horseshit. As we've discussed, the AIPAC crowd has created a situation where ANY criticism of Israel is going to be assumed to be antisemitic.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

If you use language, symbols, and tropes of racists, the onus is on you to convince people you didn't mean it the way the racists mean it. 

I see no hypocrisy, whatsoever.  

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Not a single one of us is blaming Jews in the least.  In my previous statement, I specifically cite Evangelical Christians for this situation, not American Jews.

5 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Not a single one of us is blaming Jews in the least.  In my previous statement, I specifically cite Evangelical Christians for this situation, not American Jews.

I’m talking about Omar. She’s blaming the rich Jews for creating this undue influence when it is primarily a Christian Zionist created issue.

The simple fact is that one cannot say that the pro-Israel lobby and its very effective propaganda campaign has created a situation where even suggesting that this tiny state exercises a disproportionate and detrimental influence on American foreign policy has been equated to advocating Shoah Part II: Electric Boogaloo.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m talking about Omar. She’s blaming the rich Jews for creating this undue influence when it is primarily a Christian Zionist creates issue.

I'm going to say that it's probably a "chicken or the egg" scenario that got the ball rolling to this climate: pro-Zionist American Jews saw an opportunity in the Evangelical Christian movement to exert policy influence or the rise of the movement afforded those Zionists the opportunity to do so.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

If the claim is that AIPAC is driven more by Christians than Jews...and she said that AIPAC (not Jews) are paying off politicians...then wouldn't that just further debunk the idea that she was being antisemitic?

You misunderstood me. AIPAC is not driven by Christian Zionists, the pro-Israel sentiment of politicians is driven by Christian Zionism. Omar is saying that the GOP is pro-Israel because of Jew moneyhats from AIPAC and that is plainly untrue.

The Christian Zionist movement in America has its roots in the mid 1800s, and  American Christians were advocating for the return of the Jewish state well before lobbyist firms like AIPAC were created.

AIPAC essentially acts as an effective conduit to "grease the skids" of American Christian Zionism in translating it into real political outcomes, which have been largely detrimental to American strategic interests.

I mean, for Allah's sake, who in their right bloody mind would recognize a state of a few hundred thousand people and in the process piss off a few hundred million people, many of whom control the world's most valuable resource?  To say nothing of throwing them into the arms of a geopolitical rival.

Utah would've made a fine home for the  European Jewish diaspora post-WWII.

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I also like how this statement, from a freshman backbencher in the house, got more media coverage than the president making light of native American genocide but I guess that bigotry is normal now

The Trump/Warren stuff is the top story on cnn.com right now, so there is at least something :p

I do wonder if the "browning" of the United States has significantly impacted the overall pro-Zionist sentiment of the country outside of white Christian evangelicals. 

I do hold the notion that there is a racial component to pro-Zionist sentiment in that European Jews are essentially white and therefore garnered more sympathy in a majority white Christian America than the "brown" Arab Muslims or Arab Christians.  As a result, as the US gets "darker", the sympathy for Arabs grows while the sentiment for Israelis decreases.

This could very well happen with in heavily Catholic Latin communities as the One Holy Roman and Apostolic Church is largely ambivalent to Israel because of its treatment of Palestinian Christians.

1 minute ago, Boyle5150 said:

Hard to take someone serious with the handle “Kamala Harris is a cop”. 

That is @RedSoxFan9‘s tribe. He has the most eclectic twitter timeline based on all the various things he links to :lol:

Pro-Israel Lobby Caught on Tape Boasting That Its Money Influences Washington

David Ochs, founder of HaLev, which helps send young people to AIPAC’s annual conference, described for the reporter how AIPAC and its donors organize fundraisers outside the official umbrella of the organization, so that the money doesn’t show up on disclosures as coming specifically from AIPAC. He describes one group that organizes fundraisers in both Washington and New York. “This is the biggest ad hoc political group, definitely the wealthiest, in D.C.,” Ochs says, adding that it has no official name, but is clearly tied to AIPAC. “It’s the AIPAC group. It makes a difference, it really, really does. It’s the best bang for your buck and the networking is phenomenal.” (Ochs and AIPAC did not immediately return The Intercept’s requests for comment.)

Without spending money, Ochs argues, the pro-Israel lobby isn’t able to enact its agenda. “Congressmen and senators don’t do anything unless you pressure them. They kick the can down the road, unless you pressure them, and the only way to do that is with money,” he explains. 

He describes a fundraiser for Anthony Brown, a Democrat running for Congress in Maryland, as typical. “So we want the Jewish community to go face to face in this small environment, 50, 30, 40 people, and say this is what’s important to us. We want to make sure that if we give you money that you’re going to enforce the Iran deal. That way, when they need something from him or her, like the Iran deal, they can quickly mobilize and say look we’ll give you 30 grand. They actually impact,” Ochs tells the reporter.

:hmm:

6 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Kamala refers to herself as the “top cop”

Isn’t that what the AG is generally nicknamed? They are the chief law enforcement officer in their jurisdiction.

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

Watching the episode now, thanks for the link.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Lobbyist boasts it's lobbying firm is effective

No kidding 😂

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

You misunderstood me. AIPAC is not driven by Christian Zionists, the pro-Israel sentiment of politicians is driven by Christian Zionism. Omar is saying that the GOP is pro-Israel because of Jew moneyhats from AIPAC and that is plainly untrue.

Why can't it be both? Sheldon Adelson obviously thinks his contributions are making a difference -- he wouldn't be spending tens of millions of dollars otherwise.