~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It was definitely a lesson in how (and where) not to build a nuclear plant. To be fair, tsunamis like that aren't too common. But nuclear plants built on solid, inactive, inland ground are a good idea.

The earthquake itself had nothing to do with taking out Fukushima. It wouldn't have been a disaster if the backup generators hadn't been on the ground floor, letting the resulting tsunami flood them. Otherwise it stood up to everything it was designed to stand up to.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

The earthquake itself had nothing to do with taking out Fukushima. It wouldn't have been a disaster if the backup generators hadn't been on the ground floor, letting the resulting tsunami flood them. Otherwise it stood up to everything it was designed to stand up to.

That’s true, and it will also convince no one. 

22 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

No one remembers it.

One of my friends was in the Navy at the time and on the Essex which was dispatched to aid in clean up. Many of his fellow sailors have developed cancer and he’s being told he should do screenings much more frequently than a person his age normally should.

But most people have forgot by this point.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

As D1P's leading expert on all things anti-Semitic, I can assure you that it's not even close to "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" territory that it's being made out to be.

21 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Talking about money and lobbying isn’t anti-Semitic

How you talk about things can be. Whether she intended to or not, the language she uses in regards to pro-Israel lobbying efforts by Jewish groups carries with it a long history of anti-Semitic rhetoric. She can make the points she wants without invoking those tropes, yet that is the language she chooses to use. Why?

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

How you talk about things can be. Whether she intended to or not, the language she uses in regards to pro-Israel lobbying efforts by Jewish groups carries with it a long history of anti-Semitic rhetoric. She can make the points she wants without invoking those tropes, yet that is the language she chooses to use. Why?

The efforts of the pro-Israel lobbying groups and their Republican/Democratic/evangelical Christian allies have effectively controlled the narrative that ANY language used to decry their influence can be construed as falling into the "Protocols" stereotypes, no matter how innocuous.  There is simply no way around it, no matter how hard one tries.  Hell, if a Jewish individual makes the attempt, they're labeled as "self-hating".

I wish I was in a position where I could see the reaction to my firm, unwavering, and unequivocal belief that the recognition of Israel in 1948 was the biggest geopolitical/strategic blunder that the United States has ever made, making the 2003 invasion of Iraq seem like a minor "oopsie!" in comparison.

God, the rope I would shoot at witnessing the firestorm of condemnation coming my way would be truly epic!

6 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The efforts of the pro-Israel lobbying groups and their Republican/Democratic/evangelical Christian allies have effectively made it that ANY language used to decry their influence can be construed as falling into the "Protocols" stereotypes.  There is simply no way around it, no matter how hard one tries.  Hell, if a Jewish individual makes the attempt, they're labeled as "self-hating".

The Adelsons blatantly pay off politicians to get their desired policies regarding Israel implemented. How can you read a story like this and conclude it's anything other than bribery? It's absolutely the case that the AIPAC types have created a situation where it's impossible to talk about this without immediately getting accused of antisemitism—yes, sometimes actual antisemites are clearly just putting lipstick on their rhetoric, but that obviously doesn't mean it's always what's happening when you see the arguments being used.

• Thanks 1