~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Mmmm.

Two weeks later, Serra hasn’t heard from Crenshaw, who has yet to throw his support behind renewing the VCF.

And yet.

But Serra contended Crenshaw isn’t the right person to lob that rebuke, especially considering Omar is a co-sponsor of the VCF renewal bill.

rofflecopters

19 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I fully addressed it and even gave examples of better wording. Perhaps you’re not understanding my argument (not being snarky here, at all, btw!)?

You did? I'm honestly going through your posts and not seeing an argument as to why she should be altering anything she said. I'm not saying there are better ways to say things (neglible, but I agree with you, there are), but on that sliding scale, what she said is still fine, was my point. And if it's still fine, what's there to criticize of her? Like, what was the problem with what she said? As I asked before, how does she criticize money in the pro-Israeli lobby without referencing money, for instance? The entire point of her wording is to criticize them, not Jews, even if there's accidental overlap. It's just not worthy of the criticisms she's received for it. 

19 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Part of the tweet thread where she got into hot water was in response to a writer at The Forward. The writer and the publication are very left. Your argument is that Spork is buying GOP spin which is based in omar being a black Muslim woman, so why did Batya Unger take issue with Omar’s tweet before any Republicans tried to use it as an attack on Omar?

I wasn't trying to say @Spork3245 was buying into Republican spin, I was saying that he was doing that or he should go back and re-read the quotes she's given because anyone who isn't buying Republican spin shouldn't be saying Ilhan Omar should word the things she says better because I honestly don't see what she said was wrong to begin with. Of course there are well-meaning but naive people on the left who just get triggered/outraged/whatever by the accidental/potential/arguable anti-Semitic hints in some of her wording and hyper-focus on that rather than the bigger politics at play, both with her trying to start a conversation on an issue people haven't been talking about for awhile (pro-Israeli lobby in US government) while the ultra right-wing Israeli government continues to commit what are essentially war crimes in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip (on top of the atrocities that are their "settlements" that they create for themselves and their "camps" for Palestinians). Ilhan Omar is drawing attention to that and it's working. Of course the right will do all it can with what little they have to work with to convince the public that isn't the case but rather that Ilhan Omar is an anti-Semite pro-Caliphate spy from Somalia here to destroy America. 

That's Islamaphobia, and we should be focusing on that, which is a very big problem in America, and which Ilhan Omar has now become the target of. 

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

You did? I'm honestly going through your posts and not seeing an argument as to why she should be altering anything she said. I'm not saying there are better ways to say things (neglible, but I agree with you, there are), but on that sliding scale, what she said is still fine, was my point. And if it's still fine, what's there to criticize of her? Like, what was the problem with what she said? As I asked before, how does she criticize money in the pro-Israeli lobby without referencing money, for instance? The entire point of her wording is to criticize them, not Jews, even if there's accidental overlap. It's just not worthy of the criticisms she's received for it. 

I wasn't trying to say @Spork3245 was buying into Republican spin, I was saying that he was doing that or he should go back and re-read the quotes she's given because anyone who isn't buying Republican spin shouldn't be saying Ilhan Omar should word the things she says better because I honestly don't see what she said was wrong to begin with. Of course there are well-meaning but naive people on the left who just get triggered/outraged/whatever by the accidental/potential/arguable anti-Semitic hints in some of her wording and hyper-focus on that rather than the bigger politics at play, both with her trying to start a conversation on an issue people haven't been talking about for awhile (pro-Israeli lobby in US government) while the ultra right-wing Israeli government continues to commit what are essentially war crimes in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip (on top of the atrocities that are their "settlements" that they create for themselves and their "camps" for Palestinians). Ilhan Omar is drawing attention to that and it's working. Of course the right will do all it can with what little they have to work with to convince the public that isn't the case but rather that Ilhan Omar is an anti-Semite pro-Caliphate spy from Somalia here to destroy America. 

That's Islamaphobia, and we should be focusing on that, which is a very big problem in America, and which Ilhan Omar has now become the target of. 

You’re continuing the assumption that I think what she said was “wrong”. Referencing 9/11 as “some people did something” is easy to play off of, as it’s easily quotable out of context to make it sound like she thinks 9/11 was no big deal. Personally I do not feel it does, but I know that many, non hardline GOPers could, thus costing DNC votes, hence that easy front page from the NYP being used to incite people not simply against Omar, but the DNC as a whole. I gave examples of better phrasing/wording she could have used. Furthermore, my statements regarding that she should use better wording have to do with her being a DNC House Rep and have nothing to do with her religion, nor do I think she is anti-semetic. Your debate with me seems to be more based on the fact that you think I’m saying she should word stuff better because of her religion instead of what I’m actually writing and telling you here.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

You’re continuing the assumption that I think what she said was “wrong”. Referencing 9/11 as “some people did something” is easy to play off of, as it’s easily quotable out of context to make it sound like she thinks 9/11 was no big deal. Personally I do not feel it does, but I know that many, non hardline GOPers could, thus costing DNC votes, hence that easy front page from the NYP being used to incite people not simply against Omar, but the DNC as a whole. I gave examples of better phrasing/wording she could have used. Furthermore, my statements regarding that she should use better wording have to do with her being a DNC House Rep and have nothing to do with her religion, nor do I think she is anti-semetic. Your debate with me seems to be more based on the fact that you think I’m saying she should word stuff better because of her religion instead of what I’m actually writing and telling you here.

I understand your positions better now. I wasn't trying to imply you had anything against her religion or saying she was anti-Semitic. I'm saying that Republicans can take entirely normal phrases out of context (like: "some people did something") and make it anti-American when it is anything but and I want to focus on that.

What I'm asking you is, if you've seen her speech of this quote, the video, how could she have watched her words in the moment? She's giving a passionate speech and there's nothing inherently wrong with what she said but in the moment she should be thinking "oh, I can't say it that way because Republicans will use it against me and thus lose DNC votes"? That's ridiculous to ask of her, or anyone. Why are we making the victim ever more having to watch their behavior (when we know there's nothing inherently wrong with it or what she's saying) rather than pressing the attack on Republicans for the hypocrisy and political games and Islamophobia? You're saying she could have phrased things even better. Sure, I agree, but anyone can "phrase things even better" in a lot of situations and no one is going to be able to do that 100% perfectly anyway. So when it happens, like in Omar's case here, what should she do, practically speaking, going forward that would in any way be fair and reasonable?

Even shitty movies create ridiculous pull quotes from critics that seem like they praise the movie. What should film critics start doing? Not using adjectives that, when pulled from different sentences and using ellipsis' can mean something else? It doesn't make any sense, they still have to use adjectives, etc. 

10 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

I want to see the GOP try and justify it after it, and I hate to say it, inevitably does.

2 hours ago, osxmatt said:

Trump, after she's been murdered.

"Some people did something."

GOP: :clap::clap::clap::clap:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

what exactly does Trump need to get impeached?  

Nothing because there's absolutely no real stomach for impeachment among the Democratic party. 

In fact, from a political standpoint, why the hell would you even want to impeach him?  He's the best goddamned fundraising/political motivation factor there could ever possibly be for the Democrats.

4 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Trump will be president for life, he's what Republicans want, Democrats want, and what the media wants, he keeps lawyers in demand. He's like our internal military industrial complex for people in power. 

There is ABSOLUTELY so much truth in this!

His presence in the Oval Office effectively serves the interests of practically all the elites.