~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

23 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Somalis are notoriously anti-Semitic. This is what you are missing.

Even if I accepted that premise, I think Ilhan Omar in every way has proven she isn't the typical or average Somali. 

23 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It certainly isn't ALL Somalis, but a majority of adults in various surveys show their belief in typical anti-Semitic stereotypes. Growing up in that culture has effects on the language you use, even if you yourself don't harbor any animus when you use them. This is why I think it is good of Omar to acknowledge that the language she used carries the baggage of anti-Semitism even if she did not intend it.

This post I can absolutely agree with. Look at that! Bipartisanship. :p 

19 hours ago, sblfilms said:

https://m.jpost.com/Opinion/Ilhan-Omar-is-right-about-money-in-politics-She-is-wrong-on-AIPAC-580395/amp

As @Chris- noted previously, you can talk about the problem of money in politics without falling into anti-Semitic tropes.

@Greatonesheremight like to read this too.

I did, thank you for sharing the link. :)

24 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Unless you are at AOC-levels of social skill, you should not be using social media for anything other than press releases and platitudes.

Also for thirst traps bru, get with it. 

43 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

I’d like to thank libs for joining conservatives and attacking the only person in congress who isn’t a coward.  Maybe you’ll win the maximum boot vote

Is Boot wrong in his assessment? If so, in what way?

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Is Boot wrong in his assessment? If so, in what way?

Are you referring to his assessment that Elliot "Iran Contra Affair" Abrams is a "leading advocate of human rights and democracy"?

If so, during his State Department tenure as Assistant Secretary of State for Human Rights and Humanitarian Affairs and Assistant Secretary of State for Inter-American Affairs, Abrams was intimately involved in the Reagan administration's support for the right-wing regimes in Central America which routinely engaged in significant human rights violations.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Are you referring to his assessment that Elliot "Iran Contra Affair" Abrams is a "leading advocate of human rights and democracy"?

If so, during his State Department tenure, Abrams was intimately involved in the Reagan administration's support for the right-wing regimes in Central America which routinely engaged in significant human rights violations.

but but but Bush 41 pardoned him

Abrams is very much the prototypical neoconservative: he started his political life on the kinda/sorta left and then shifted to the right due to dissatisfaction that Democrats weren't tough enough on the Soviet Union and global communism.

This article from 1987 sheds light on his reaction to the human rights abuses by the Central American regimes.

https://theintercept.com/2019/01/30/elliott-abrams-venezuela-coup/

in El Salvador, a Salvadoran military unit created and trained by the U.S. Army began slaughtering everyone they could find in a remote village called El Mozote. Before murdering the women and girls, the soldiers raped them repeatedly, including some as young as 10 years old, and joked that their favorites were the 12-year-olds. One witness described a soldier tossing a 3-year-old child into the air and impaling him with his bayonet. The final death toll was over 800 people.

The next day, December 12, was the first day on the job for Elliott Abrams as assistant secretary of state for human rights and humanitarian affairs in the Reagan administration. Abrams snapped into action, helping to lead a cover-up of the massacre. News reports of what had happened, Abrams told the Senate, were “not credible,” and the whole thing was being “significantly misused” as propaganda by anti-government guerillas.

• Guillotine 1

I do want to point out that the "tossing babies into the air to impale them on bayonets" is an "atrocity trope" that started with the German invasion of Belgium in 1914 and subsequently shows up every time there is a need to show just how really evil/depraved the perpetrators of the atrocity are.  For example, it showed up in the 1990 Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, but didn't actually happen (just as it didn't happen in 1914).