~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

Carbon dividend or go home!

A carbon tax and rebate are conservative ideas (that use the free market to drive down usage of carbon), so you'd think that everyone would be on-board with the idea. However, like most other issues, conservatives never really liked the idea, they just proposed it as a counter to actual regulations on emissions. So now when liberal parties say they want a carbon tax/rebate, conservative parties say "no way, that's bad!" In truth, they don't want any regulation at all. It doesn't even matter if they believe in climate change, as they only really care about short-term profits. That's the ultimate truth. The Earth will warm and hundreds of millions will die because companies need a few good quarters.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Why is that needed for something like the GND?

Or for a climate change special committee? We know climate change is a problem, we just need to look for ways to fix it.

If oil execs don't want to show and testify, then so be it, it's not like their industry is on the line or anything.

14 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

For starters, they could look into this

Who gives a shit? Move forward.

We know FF companies are garbage, we know they fund disinformation, we know climate change is a huge problem, find solutions that Democrats (plus, like 1-2 Florida or California Republicans I guess)can pass when we have a democratic president/Senate. Them lying to stockholders sounds like financial services committee work. Oh, look who is on that committee...

Just now, RedSoxFan9 said:

I’m sure fossil fuel companies will just give up the fight as we move forward

So what does dragging them in front of this particular committee accomplish? I edited last post to add: Them lying to stockholders sounds like financial services committee work. Oh, look who is on that committee...

Brow beating empty chairs with the names of FF CEOs is just as effective, and will accomplish the same thing.

I'd rather hear from scientists from agriculture, ocean science, biologists, wildfire experts, etc. Put them up there and explain why if we make no action what the consequences could be.

21 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Who gives a shit? Move forward.

This is the perfect liberal mindset.  

I’m looking forward to the same people who engineered the 2008 crash causing the next financial disaster.  If we play our cards right, maybe the Iraq war architects will start a war in Venezuela or Iran.

29 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Ok, so what purpose does looking into that have to do with crafting legislation like the GND?

It’s hard to say what would turn up but I imagine congress learn something from the companies’ research (and how they’ll likely fight against climate regulation). 

19 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

This is the perfect liberal mindset.  

I’m looking forward to the same people who engineered the 2008 crash causing the next financial disaster.  If we play our cards right, maybe the Iraq war architects will start a war in Venezuela or Iran.

Christ you're insufferable.

Not giving this particular committee subpoena power is exactly the same as putting bankers in charge of financial regulators, or literally putting John Bolton back in a national security role in government.

2 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

the next Republican president will appoint an oil company ceo to lead the EPA and Democrats will just throw their hands up in the air

Literally right now https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_R._Wheeler

Not an oil exec, but a coal lobbyist. And can be subpoenaed by other committees, like natural resources oversight and investigations subcommittee, or natural resource water power and oceans subcommittee. Or the energy and commerce environment and climate change subcommittee, or the energy and commerce oversight and investigations subcommittee.

Yeah, I’m not seeing why a committee for the purpose of creating green legislation needs subpoena power when permanent committees that cover these industries already have them.

3 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Yeah there’s no reason to give subpoena power to the committee that is supposed to be tackling the most issue facing the world

You have yet to explain what subpoena power has to do with creating the legislation beyond your gut instinct. You think it is important but can’t articulate why. 

Access to more information will help congress members write better legislation.  It can also be used as a weapon against the enemies of the green new deal. 

Here’s an example from last time.

Under the previous incarnation of the select committee, the subpoena power was used at least once in 2008 to force the Environmental Protection Agency under former President George W. Bush to disclose its progress in crafting climate change rules for automobiles.

Without subpoena power, the panel will have trouble developing the most robust legislation or recommendations to fight climate change, according to supporters of the Green New Deal.

Subpoena powers would allow committee members to force government agency heads to testify on economic and environmental issues, thereby providing information that would aide them in crafting comprehensive legislation to fight climate change. Committee members also could use subpoena powers to force fossil fuel industry officials to provide documents or testify in hearings.

https://thinkprogress.org/new-house-climate-committee-resembles-2007-panel-despite-12-years-worth-of-new-climate-science-fefbc29628ff/

I guess this time Democrats trust Trump’s EPA so they don’t need to subpoena anyone

1 hour ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Access to more information will help congress members write better legislation.  It can also be used as a weapon against the enemies of the green new deal. 

Here’s an example from last time.

https://thinkprogress.org/new-house-climate-committee-resembles-2007-panel-despite-12-years-worth-of-new-climate-science-fefbc29628ff/

I guess this time Democrats trust Trump’s EPA so they don’t need to subpoena anyone

I appreciate you taking time to explain your position. Thank you.

20 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

A carbon tax and rebate are conservative ideas (that use the free market to drive down usage of carbon), so you'd think that everyone would be on-board with the idea. However, like most other issues, conservatives never really liked the idea, they just proposed it as a counter to actual regulations on emissions. So now when liberal parties say they want a carbon tax/rebate, conservative parties say "no way, that's bad!" In truth, they don't want any regulation at all. It doesn't even matter if they believe in climate change, as they only really care about short-term profits. That's the ultimate truth. The Earth will warm and hundreds of millions will die because companies need a few good quarters.

Where have I seen this tactic from them before  :hmm:

Aha! The individual mandate!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The blanket rejection of nuclear energy -- which represents a NECESSARY transitory phase from fossil fuels to large-scale renewable resources -- is a clear example of "the perfect being the enemy of the good".

Good isn’t good enough for leftists

39 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't agree with all her positions but god damn she's an effective communicator.

I think a huge part of it is that Millennials (and younger) view authenticity as one of the most important factors when rating someone trustworthiness. So we are more likely to look at her and go "yeah, she's a normal person talking to us (and others) like a normal person would, so I understand her." This is compared to Clinton saying "Pokemon Go to the polls!" and us cringing. The delivery of the message is now (and has been for a while) just as important (or more) as the content. I mean, if you boil it down this is like George W. vs Gore - the "have a beer with me" effect, only amplified.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think a huge part of it is that Millennials (and younger) view authenticity as one of the most important factors when rating someone trustworthiness. So we are more likely to look at her and go "yeah, she's a normal person talking to us (and others) like a normal person would, so I understand her." This is compared to Clinton saying "Pokemon Go to the polls!" and us cringing. The delivery of the message is now (and has been for a while) just as important (or more) as the content. I mean, if you boil it down this is like George W. vs Gore - the "have a beer with me" effect, only amplified.

Yeah this whole point of view is something I can't relate to or really understand. I'm not a millennial so that may be part of it but Americans from all generations place too much importance on personality and other things that while important, shouldn't be THE deciding factors for governance. Competency and a grasp and expertise of the issues should be far more important than whether or not I could have a fucking beer with them. I don't need to have a beer with my elected leaders.

AOC though seems to have that "IT" factor AND to be pretty sharp. Whatever she doesn't know she's willing to learn and she is strong in her convictions. I hope she can keep it together because I see a lot of potential in her.