~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

2 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

McCaskill is mad about her loss and somehow found a way to blame AOC

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/12/claire-mccaskill-to-her-progressive-critics-shut-up/578719/

“God love her,” McCaskill said of Ocasio-Cortez on Thursday, “but I hope she listens to the people who defeated Republicans, because it’s the people who defeated Republicans in this election that we need to be emulating.”

Progressives, she said, “need to remember who their friends are and not make it more difficult for their friends.”

I'm just guessing from the context, but "God love her" is essentially equivalent to "bless her heart", right?

11 minutes ago, Jose said:

What an incoherent mess. Good riddance.

I like her talk about talk being cheap but results are hard.

Because if there's anything I know about her, it's that she got so much substantial stuff passed and affected the lives of working folk, which is why she was re-elect---oh yeah.

6 minutes ago, outsida said:

Ranked Choice Voting works. 

Well, sometimes. In Canada this year in local elections it resulted in some weird results. The main issue is that many people don't put down second or third choices, so the ultimate winner can still have a sub-50 victory. Also, in almost all cases the front-runner wins in the end.

It's really not that great of a system in terms of representative democracy, especially in places with more than two legitimate choices. The only reason Americans like it is because it further entrenches the two-party system. 

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Well, sometimes. In Canada this year in local elections it resulted in some weird results. The main issue is that many people don't put down second or third choices, so the ultimate winner can still have a sub-50 victory. Also, in almost all cases the front-runner wins in the end.

It's really not that great of a system in terms of representative democracy, especially in places with more than two legitimate choices. The only reason Americans like it is because it further entrenches the two-party system. 

You’ve said this before and I’m not really sure which elections you’re talking about. Ranked choice isn’t exactly new in Canada — it’s been used for years for party leadership votes and the results are not how you’re describing them. As one example, the CPC use a ranked ballot, and in their last leadership race Andrew Scheer won even though in the first round he only had 21% of the votes compared to Maxime Bernier with 28%. 

48 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

You’ve said this before and I’m not really sure which elections you’re talking about. Ranked choice isn’t exactly new in Canada — it’s been used for years for party leadership votes and the results are not how you’re describing them. As one example, the CPC use a ranked ballot, and in their last leadership race Andrew Scheer won even though in the first round he only had 21% of the votes compared to Maxime Bernier with 28%. 

I believe it was in London, ON for their city Council elections.