~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

What Republicans think is irrelevant. They didn't give a shit the Iraq War was a failure, either, and they paid for it two elections in a row with massive losses.

Exactly. And if it, on net, means that one fewer mitt Romney looking mother fucker who isn't ok with the open racism stays home, I'm fine with that too

23 hours ago, Anathema- said:

I haven't seen anyone actually thread the needle. A dual loyalty smear is anti-Semitic but that just begs the question of where anyone was actually accused of that. 

Besides, with (what appear to be) a greater number of Jewish writers disagreeing with the idea this was antisemitic why should I listen to those who say it was? I've been plenty wrong in my life but I don't see the evidence for reevaluating what my own eyes, ears, and common sense tell me.

I think your perception is obviously based on the sources you read and mine are based on the ones I’ve read. I would wager though that a majority of Omar’s Jewish colleagues in the house viewed the comments as anti-Semitic, and certainly the major news outlets have been covered with op-eds calling the comments anti-Semitic (such that Redsoxfan keeps crying about it ;)), so I’m interested in what it is that you are reading that makes you believe this isn’t a pretty widely held view of the comments by American Jews.

And being that those who have called them such cover the whole spectrum of POVs, why do you think they have come to the same conclusion with regards to Omar’s comments?

Lots of people have a reflective sensitivity to things like anti-semitism, lots of those people have additional sensitivity because Omar is black and Muslim. Even still more are rightly concerned that her intentions don’t matter as much as the people who might take the wrong idea to its lethal conclusion. 

Some legitimate concern is warranted. The freakout, condemnation, and resolutions were all wildly unnecessary and not at all reflective of what she said. It will in fact make it more difficult to call out and condemn anti-semitism when it happens. 

I don’t think what you’d wager on is a strong indication of anything, especially as we can see how equally likely it would have been for her colleagues to have understandable reservations and concerns without believing that what she said was expressly anti-semetic.

I leave you with a set of illustrations by the same gentleman above. 

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

There was a time when I considered Hannity to be the worst on Fox by an easy mile. 

These days, he's got a lot of competition for biggest piece of shit. 

I feel like it cycles and that Fox News brings the worst out of people.

Tucker was a douchebag on CNN and PBS and just there on MSNBC, but now it's all anti-diversity stuff which came out of left-field for me. O'Reilly was the worst for a while, then Glenn Beck wanted to compete with him, but Alan Colmes left Hannity & Colmes, proving he was the "anchor holding down the hot-air crazy balloon." John Gibson used to do 5pm there last decade and he sucked but would fit in nicely with his, "Make more babies the Mexicans are doing better than we are!" opinion segment.

Fox & Friends is where dumb people go to die.