~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

53 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

"Dual loyalties," is absolutely a trope used by racists and often aimed at Jewish people. That's not what this is, though. The dual loyalties trope means to suggest that a Jewish person CAN'T be loyal to anything but Israel/other Jewish people.

Not for nothing but Catholics also used to be accused of dual loyalties.

I can certainly understand "dual loyalties" being antisemitic. But when I hear the phrase "allegiance to another country" I don't think of someone putting the interests of another country above America, or even putting them on equal footing. I think of someone who will defend that country, above the interests of other countries. Which is certainly something the Republican Party seems to do with Israel.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just being naive. But again, I don't want to traffic in antisemitism just because my understand of an expression is lacking.

32 minutes ago, Jason said:

As has already been noted to you by others, of course a lobbyist is selling people on the effectiveness of their lobbying efforts.

But more importantly, the issue is not whether or not lobbying works (it doesn’t to the extent people think) but whether or not Jews are paying people off to be disloyal to their country. The efficacy of lobbying is not about that specific claim. Supporting the cause of a lobbyist is not

inherently disloyal to the nation.

16 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So how is someone supposed to criticize how the US is cucked by Israel without being called anti-Semitic? That question is directed to those siding with the GOP on the current condemnation.

1. Stop linking Jew gold to American disloyalty. It really isn’t hard. Criticize the specific policy you have issue with.

2. It’s not the GOP that pushed Omar to apologize. It’s not the House GOP trying to put a resolution together to condemn Omar’s and other’s words which are steeped in anti-Semitic tropes.

26 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So how is someone supposed to criticize how the US is cucked by Israel without being called anti-Semitic? That question is directed to those siding with the GOP on the current condemnation.

Bipartisan consensus is great :beatup:

There is no way to do it without being called anti-Semitic.  People lost their minds when Obama abstained from a UN vote.  Anyone who challenges US foreign policy needs be strong enough to withstand a mountain of bad faith accusations. 

10 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

There is no way to do it without being called anti-Semitic.  People lost their minds when Obama abstained from a UN vote.  Anyone who challenges US foreign policy needs be strong enough to withstand a mountain of bad faith accusations. 

Were congressional Dems calling Obama anti-Semitic for his abstention?

https://theintercept.com/2019/03/05/the-house-democrats-rebuke-of-rep-ilhan-omar-is-a-fraud-for-many-reasons-including-its-wild-distortion-of-her-comments/

the leading billionaire funder of both the Democratic Party and the Clintons, Haim Saban, has previously described himselfthis way to the New York Times: “I’m a one-issue guy and my issue is Israel.”

Hillary Clinton’s key political consultant for her 2008 presidential run, Hank Sheinkopf, who is Jewish, said this to the New York Sun in 2007 when asked why Democratic presidential candidates who were otherwise anti-war were so hawkish when it came to Iran: “New York is the ATM for American politicians. Large amounts of money come from the Jewish community. If you’re running for president and you want dollars from that group, you need to show that you’re interested in the issue that matters most to them.”

Everyone is capable of understanding the distinction between “the Saudi governments and its supporters” and “Muslims.” It should not be any more difficult to understand the distinction between “the Israeli governments and its supporters” (which Omar criticized) and “Jews” (who she did not criticize, even implicitly).

3 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Pelosi shit the bed

I was just telling a friend of mine this morning that the whole "critique of Israel=Anti-Semitism" trope that has dominated American politics for the last 60 years is probably over. Rep. Omar is an easy target but because if she's even REMOTELY critical of Israel and American policy they can paint her as being anti-semitic.  AIPAC has a disproportionate influence on American politics and there's nothing wrong with saying that.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I was just telling a friend of mine this morning that the whole "critique of Israel=Anti-Semitism" trope that has dominated American politics for the last 60 years is probably over. Rep. Omar is an easy target but because if she's even REMOTELY critical of Israel and American policy they can paint her as being anti-semitic.  AIPAC has a disproportionate influence on American politics and there's nothing wrong with saying that.

While AIPAC money and influence is bipartisan, the isreali government has firmly planted it's flag in the Republican camp, just like the NRA, and will sooner rather than later be a partisan punching bag (not as salient as the gun people because who cares about foreigners am I rite?!)

What hate??? America is so fucking dumb. I don’t know exactly what’s in the Bible but Christians tell me they support Israel because of something in there when I know for a fact they don’t even go to church. Pelosi went from “hey she’s not doing too bad” to completely shitting the bed. She wants to “unite the country” (lol) but will just continue to widen the divide.

omar is getting fucking rooked