~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

31 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

seems like a trustworthy guy

Stop posting this crap, hes not running or campaigning and has endorsed her, in order for him to be removed from the ballot for the WFP, he has to leave NY, Die, commit a crime, or accept a nomination elsewhere.

14 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Stop posting this crap, hes not running or campaigning and has endorsed her, in order for him to be removed from the ballot for the WFP, he has to leave NY, Die, commit a crime, or accept a nomination elsewhere.

I’ll post whatever I want thank you very much

The Midwest appears to be getting over its fling with Trump, Dems have improved their position in special elections by an average of 11 points in the region, with polling indicating dem incumbents being safe with dem challengers surging in GOP districts.  GOP candidates are also trying to moderate their positions even outright vowing to fight Trump positions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/the-midwest-eases-its-trump-swoon-and-flirts-again-with-democratic-candidates/2018/07/15/92ef34ae-8530-11e8-8f6c-46cb43e3f306_story.html?utm_term=.d4498e11abd2

In Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota and Ohio, Democratic senators once thought to be endangered have rebounded and are in fairly safe positions. In House and gubernatorial races, Democrats have grown more competitive since the start of the year — especially in House districts drawn from suburbs that were thought to be safely Republican. In special elections held in the Midwest since Trump’s inauguration, Democrats have improved on their 2016 performance by an average of 11 points.

Democrats have spotted openings on a number of issues, starting with trade. On a three-day Midwestern swing that began Wednesday, Vice President Pence had a message for Republicans: Don’t worry about the trade war.

“We’re going to keep fighting for a level playing field for our farmers,” Pence said Wednesday in Missouri at a stop to benefit the party’s preferred U.S. Senate candidate, Josh Hawley. “And as the president said, America will win that fight, and so will American farmers. Don’t doubt it.”

The same day, every Republican senator from the Midwest backed a nonbinding resolution that urged the president to defer to Congress on tariffs.

In the same Marquette poll that found voters souring on tariffs, Baldwin held leads of nine to 11 points over any Republican challenger. That was striking, Democrats said, because Baldwin was targeted early in 2017 by Republican groups eager to capi­tal­ize on the Trump surge that had flipped Wisconsin and reelected Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.).

At a 2017 meeting of the Koch donor network, Baldwin was singled out as the senator most vulnerable to a 2016-style campaign — a blitz of early TV ads that would drive down her poll numbers. More than $11 million has been spent against Baldwin, including a new buy from Concerned Veterans for America that highlights the deaths of veterans at a Wisconsin VA hospital, an attack that was used to great effect against Johnson’s challenger.

Across the Midwest, Republicans also have found themselves on the defensive for different sets of Trump administration actions.

Gov. Scott Walker (R-Wis.) has tried to separate himself from the administration’s moves to undermine the Affordable Care Act.

“Our bipartisan plan invests $200 million to help lower premiums for Wisconsin families, because we can’t wait for Washington to get the job done,” Walker says in one TV ad.

16 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

In the same Marquette poll that found voters souring on tariffs, Baldwin held leads of nine to 11 points over any Republican challenger. That was striking, Democrats said, because Baldwin was targeted early in 2017 by Republican groups eager to capi­tal­ize on the Trump surge that had flipped Wisconsin and reelected Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.).

I remember when Obama won Wisconsin by 14 points in 2008 and won almost every county in Wisconsin. And then 2010 was a massacre for Dems in the state. It's underappreciated, but Wisconsin was a REALLY close state in 2000 and 2004, going Democratic by less than a point both times.

Progressive politics in general has a long history in Wisconsin, so the flip was interesting to see (1A on NPR dedicated one hour to it last week, which I still have to listen to).  

Well people seem to forget Trump wasn't seen as this ultra conservative that hes been governing as, he promised better healthcare, reducing the deficit/debt, better trade, and massive infrastructure plan, what they've gotten is a trade war that directly impacts regions that flipped from Obama to Trump, an attempt to take what little healthcare they have, not even a whisper of infrastructure planning, and a tax bill that balloons the deficit/debt to new heights.

Not to mention all the other stupid shit they don't like, like separating families, threatening allies, and making nice with dictators.

Kinda related, but I was talking to a patent's 71 year old daughter who now lives in Austin, TX. I normally make it a rule that I don't talk politics with patients, but i came out the woman hates Trump with a passion. She referred to herself as a radical who wore the pink hat in the Women's March, has an "Impeach Trump" sign on her front door, has gone to the immigrant detention centers to protest, and is super excited about Beto. She said she and her husband have been doing canvassing for him and she would have been out there this week, if not for her mother, who is now dying(it's expected, they're coping well). 

Just pretty cool to see an older person from around here with those views. Maybe I should move to Austin one of these days... :thinking: 

1 minute ago, SilentWorld said:

It seems possible the Republicans may lose every single seat up for election in November.

Blackburn is a nutter, like Roy Moore, might be a deep red state but candidates do matter, especially when shes up against a former Governor that was well liked, hes also not likely to be chanting abolish ICE anytime soon either though, lol.

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

Blackburn is a nutter, like Roy Moore, might be a deep red state but candidates do matter, especially when shes up against a former Governor that was well liked, hes also not likely to be chanting abolish ICE anytime soon either though, lol.

It seems impossible to imagine a sane GOP candidate. 

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Look at the states Obama won in 2008 and look at where Dems lost ground in 2010. He easily took the midwest and Democrats easily lost it in the following midterms, followed by Obama winning them again in 2012. I don't know if presidential vote necessarily matters.