Sign in to follow this  
Pikachu

General Gaming Assassin's Creed Odyssey | Official Thread of Dangling Off Zeus's Wang

41 minutes ago, Man_of_X said:

Just finished chapter two for the Atlantis DLC.  While the first DLC story was ok, aside from the forced decisions, this one was a huge step up.

Really enjoyed it.  Totally new areas to explore, good story, great call backs.

If you enjoyed Odyssey, I'd really recommend you check this one out.  Oh, and new enhancements to abilities that are pretty cool as well.

I have to agree that all of the DLC has been pretty good for Odyssey.  I think I enjoyed the first one more than you did -- what were the forced decisions in the first DLC?  I don't think I came across them.

On 7/9/2019 at 11:40 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

I have to agree that all of the DLC has been pretty good for Odyssey.  I think I enjoyed the first one more than you did -- what were the forced decisions in the first DLC?  I don't think I came across them.

Spoiler

Being forced into a relationship I had no interest in.  Having my character that I've played for 130+ hours not only fall for a schmuck but have a child with him.  The story would have fit if this was a specific narrative type game like Uncharted or God of War where they're telling an exact story.  Odyssey has always been about as open ended as it could be, so to switch gear like that was a bit jarring.

The story telling of it was good, just didn't fit with how they operated in making the rest of the game.  At least he died, so that made me feel better. :p

I recently just started this (about 60+ hours into it) and it did take some time to begin to enjoy and even love it but once I finally found my mother (and getting a little teary eyed over it), I'm totally hooked!

bump as the season pass is 50% off right now. 

I got sucked back in by that even though i sunk 70+ hours into base game.  good thing i have a 3 day weekend coming up

12 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

bump as the season pass is 50% off right now. 

I got sucked back in by that even though i sunk 70+ hours into base game.  good thing i have a 3 day weekend coming up

You can also get an extra 12% off with GMG, if you use the code August12 (PC only).

200 hours total and all but a handful of achievements related to builds of my character in which I wasn't going to respec just to unlock. Very proud of myself and loved this title. I was suffering from trepidation at first having had so much enjoyment with Origins and at first glance, it looked like a step back. I took time until I fired it up (6ish months + after release) and the only regret I have is really rather two-fold: 1. I should have played this sooner & 2. Because I waited so long, I shouldn't have pre-ordered so I could have saved a few bucks. That's all hindsight, I loved everything about it, most especially the Leonidas & Greek Mythos angles. Perhaps my most favorite in terms of quests, however I did have a bit more enjoyment initially with exploration in Black Flag, this stands right next to that when all was said and done. I still believe Origins was a prettier title but I loved the lore in this, cannot wait for the next AC!

On 8/28/2019 at 3:45 PM, SoberChef said:

200 hours total and all but a handful of achievements related to builds of my character in which I wasn't going to respec just to unlock. Very proud of myself and loved this title. I was suffering from trepidation at first having had so much enjoyment with Origins and at first glance, it looked like a step back. I took time until I fired it up (6ish months + after release) and the only regret I have is really rather two-fold: 1. I should have played this sooner & 2. Because I waited so long, I shouldn't have pre-ordered so I could have saved a few bucks. That's all hindsight, I loved everything about it, most especially the Leonidas & Greek Mythos angles. Perhaps my most favorite in terms of quests, however I did have a bit more enjoyment initially with exploration in Black Flag, this stands right next to that when all was said and done. I still believe Origins was a prettier title but I loved the lore in this, cannot wait for the next AC!

Very similar to you, @SoberChef!  I  started a new game plus after around 215 hours.  There's only so much I can play though, so I've taken a break. :p

I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed this game and how much more I played of this than Origins (only around 60 hrs for that).

One of my favorite AC titles for sure.

Seeing this thread and I'm wondering if I should go back to this game to get myself back in a gaming mood. It's sounding kind of appealing. I need something to trigger me out of this funk.

Okay, gotten back to the game, played a few hours and I'm liking it! I guess the mood just struck me right this time. 

I still enjoyed Origins and Ancient Egypt more, though.

I played through Odyssey first, and trying to play Origins now.

It's... been a pretty rough transition. The combat and stealth are sooo much more fun in Odyssey. Fighting on Origins is actually kind of a chore after being spoiled for 100 hours.

Maybe I need to go back and play Origins for a minute again, but I don't recall any issues with combat or stealth. They seem pretty damn similar in that regard. 

I just find Egypt more interesting than Greece. Seems like a lot of the locales in Odyssey feel really...samey. And good god, there's too much content in Odyssey. It's overwhelming. Too many quests to follow on my tracker. 

Yeah I don't remember any issues with combat in origins or stealth in origins either... I thought both were pretty well done in Origins and that Odyssey just evolved what was there.

29 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I don't remember any issues with combat in origins or stealth in origins either... I thought both were pretty well done in Origins and that Odyssey just evolved what was there.

I booted up Origins for a few minutes and messed around. About the only differences I could easily note is that blocking became more evolved with Odyssey. Otherwise, they play the same. There's no difference in stealth. 

11 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I booted up Origins for a few minutes and messed around. About the only differences I could easily note is that blocking became more evolved with Odyssey. Otherwise, they play the same. There's no difference in stealth. 

I remember when I first started Odyssey I was a little disappointed with the combat in comparison to Origins. Of course that was after spending over 70 hours with origins though :p Now I've gotten used to Odyssey... I just need to get back to it. The amount of content in that game can be a bit overwhelming.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I remember when I first started Odyssey I was a little disappointed with the combat in comparison to Origins. Of course that was after spending over 70 hours with origins though :p Now I've gotten used to Odyssey... I just need to get back to it. The amount of content in that game can be a bit overwhelming.

For real. I'm 21 hours in and not very far in the main story because the amount of extra stuff is just overwhelming. Origins was big, but has just about the right amount of extra stuff for me. That's my main gripe with Odyssey. Just too much extra junk that isn't really needed. It feels overwhelming. But I am anjoying it the more I get into it. I just liked the pyramids and sphinxes better. 

Still working my way through Origins(maybe 40 hours in).  Have an unopened copy of Odyssey.  I can’t see myself playing these back to back though; that would be Assassins Creed overload.

25 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

Still working my way through Origins(maybe 40 hours in).  Have an unopened copy of Odyssey.  I can’t see myself playing these back to back though; that would be Assassins Creed overload.

Definitely a good idea. 

18 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Odyssey is no joke.  I ended my play through at around 215 hours.  That's pretty much everything outside of maybe a few tales of Greece side quests and includes all the DLC.  The second DLC was absolutely fantastic.

I'm pretty much opposite  with Origins though.  I thought I would be over the moon as I love ancient Egypt, but visually, I enjoyed the color pallet of Greece more.  I think all the sand just got to me.  :p  Got about 60 hours into Origins.  I actually started a new game to redo it with a fresh set of eyes after going through Odyssey.

I haven’t played Origins yet, but it takes place just before Rome took it, right? That would explain why why it feels “samey” to many in regards to buildings/locales. I never got around to Origins beyond running the benchmark and skipped right to Odyssey as I love Ancient Greece based stuff. I’d actually love a Roman-era one more, especially if it was during either the Second Punic War or possibly the Etruscan War, even though it would be EXTRA similar to Origins/Odyssey :p 

I think I saw that Vikings might be next? I really hope they get to Asia sooner than later, though (and the Mark of the Ninja style games do not count :p )

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I haven’t played Origins yet, but it takes place just before Rome took it, right? That would explain why why it feels “samey” to many in regards to buildings/locales. I never got around to Origins beyond running the benchmark and skipped right to Odyssey as I love Ancient Greece based stuff. I’d actually love a Roman-era one more, especially if it was during either the Second Punic War or possibly the Etruscan War, even though it would be EXTRA similar to Origins/Odyssey :p 

I think I saw that Vikings might be next? I really hope they get to Asia sooner than later, though (and the Mark of the Ninja style games do not count :p )

Who said Origins felt samey regarding locales? 

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Who said Origins felt samey regarding locales? 

On 9/2/2019 at 4:38 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Maybe I need to go back and play Origins for a minute again, but I don't recall any issues with combat or stealth. They seem pretty damn similar in that regard. 

I just find Egypt more interesting than Greece. Seems like a lot of the locales in Odyssey feel really...samey. And good god, there's too much content in Odyssey. It's overwhelming. Too many quests to follow on my tracker. 

:confused:

I was making the observation as to why Odyssey feels samey compared to Origins in regards to locales. :p 

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

:confused:

I was making the observation as to why Odyssey feels samey compared to Origins in regards to locales. It was after Alexander conquered Egypt and filled it with Greek-based architecture/culture :p 

Yeah, um, I was saying that the map on Odyssey feels all the same. Not comparing it to Origins, just that there doesn't seem to be much variety in one area to the next in Odyssey. 

On 9/4/2019 at 2:33 PM, Pikachu said:

Ubisoft REALLY deserves a LOT of kudos for this concept :clap:

9 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

37 hours in this game and so very far to go. 

It's too big for it's own good. 

On 9/3/2019 at 2:12 PM, Spork3245 said:

Origins takes place in the "Ptolemaic" era -- when it was ruled by a Greek dynasty just before the fall to the Romans.  For most of the game, the combat is against Greek or Roman soldiers.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Origins takes place in the "Ptolemaic" era -- when it was ruled by a Greek dynasty just before the fall to the Romans.  For most of the game, the combat is against Greek or Roman soldiers.

I mean, that’s what I said :p 

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

It's too big for it's own good. 

While it does feel overwhelming at times, it’s pretty damn addictive. I’ve just started ignoring a lot of the more minor side quests, there’s just too many.