Assassin's Creed Odyssey | Official Thread of Dangling Off Zeus's Wang - update: 60FPS support for PS5/Xbox Series consoles coming August 24

Pikachu

41 minutes ago, Man_of_X said:

Just finished chapter two for the Atlantis DLC.  While the first DLC story was ok, aside from the forced decisions, this one was a huge step up.

Really enjoyed it.  Totally new areas to explore, good story, great call backs.

If you enjoyed Odyssey, I'd really recommend you check this one out.  Oh, and new enhancements to abilities that are pretty cool as well.

I have to agree that all of the DLC has been pretty good for Odyssey.  I think I enjoyed the first one more than you did -- what were the forced decisions in the first DLC?  I don't think I came across them.

On 7/9/2019 at 11:40 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

I have to agree that all of the DLC has been pretty good for Odyssey.  I think I enjoyed the first one more than you did -- what were the forced decisions in the first DLC?  I don't think I came across them.

Spoiler

Being forced into a relationship I had no interest in.  Having my character that I've played for 130+ hours not only fall for a schmuck but have a child with him.  The story would have fit if this was a specific narrative type game like Uncharted or God of War where they're telling an exact story.  Odyssey has always been about as open ended as it could be, so to switch gear like that was a bit jarring.

The story telling of it was good, just didn't fit with how they operated in making the rest of the game.  At least he died, so that made me feel better. :p

• 1 month later...

200 hours total and all but a handful of achievements related to builds of my character in which I wasn't going to respec just to unlock. Very proud of myself and loved this title. I was suffering from trepidation at first having had so much enjoyment with Origins and at first glance, it looked like a step back. I took time until I fired it up (6ish months + after release) and the only regret I have is really rather two-fold: 1. I should have played this sooner & 2. Because I waited so long, I shouldn't have pre-ordered so I could have saved a few bucks. That's all hindsight, I loved everything about it, most especially the Leonidas & Greek Mythos angles. Perhaps my most favorite in terms of quests, however I did have a bit more enjoyment initially with exploration in Black Flag, this stands right next to that when all was said and done. I still believe Origins was a prettier title but I loved the lore in this, cannot wait for the next AC!

On 8/28/2019 at 3:45 PM, SoberChef said:

200 hours total and all but a handful of achievements related to builds of my character in which I wasn't going to respec just to unlock. Very proud of myself and loved this title. I was suffering from trepidation at first having had so much enjoyment with Origins and at first glance, it looked like a step back. I took time until I fired it up (6ish months + after release) and the only regret I have is really rather two-fold: 1. I should have played this sooner & 2. Because I waited so long, I shouldn't have pre-ordered so I could have saved a few bucks. That's all hindsight, I loved everything about it, most especially the Leonidas & Greek Mythos angles. Perhaps my most favorite in terms of quests, however I did have a bit more enjoyment initially with exploration in Black Flag, this stands right next to that when all was said and done. I still believe Origins was a prettier title but I loved the lore in this, cannot wait for the next AC!

Very similar to you, @SoberChef!  I  started a new game plus after around 215 hours.  There's only so much I can play though, so I've taken a break. :p

I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed this game and how much more I played of this than Origins (only around 60 hrs for that).

One of my favorite AC titles for sure.

Maybe I need to go back and play Origins for a minute again, but I don't recall any issues with combat or stealth. They seem pretty damn similar in that regard. 

I just find Egypt more interesting than Greece. Seems like a lot of the locales in Odyssey feel really...samey. And good god, there's too much content in Odyssey. It's overwhelming. Too many quests to follow on my tracker. 

29 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I don't remember any issues with combat in origins or stealth in origins either... I thought both were pretty well done in Origins and that Odyssey just evolved what was there.

I booted up Origins for a few minutes and messed around. About the only differences I could easily note is that blocking became more evolved with Odyssey. Otherwise, they play the same. There's no difference in stealth. 

11 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I booted up Origins for a few minutes and messed around. About the only differences I could easily note is that blocking became more evolved with Odyssey. Otherwise, they play the same. There's no difference in stealth. 

I remember when I first started Odyssey I was a little disappointed with the combat in comparison to Origins. Of course that was after spending over 70 hours with origins though :p Now I've gotten used to Odyssey... I just need to get back to it. The amount of content in that game can be a bit overwhelming.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I remember when I first started Odyssey I was a little disappointed with the combat in comparison to Origins. Of course that was after spending over 70 hours with origins though :p Now I've gotten used to Odyssey... I just need to get back to it. The amount of content in that game can be a bit overwhelming.

For real. I'm 21 hours in and not very far in the main story because the amount of extra stuff is just overwhelming. Origins was big, but has just about the right amount of extra stuff for me. That's my main gripe with Odyssey. Just too much extra junk that isn't really needed. It feels overwhelming. But I am anjoying it the more I get into it. I just liked the pyramids and sphinxes better. 

18 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Odyssey is no joke.  I ended my play through at around 215 hours.  That's pretty much everything outside of maybe a few tales of Greece side quests and includes all the DLC.  The second DLC was absolutely fantastic.

I'm pretty much opposite  with Origins though.  I thought I would be over the moon as I love ancient Egypt, but visually, I enjoyed the color pallet of Greece more.  I think all the sand just got to me.  :p  Got about 60 hours into Origins.  I actually started a new game to redo it with a fresh set of eyes after going through Odyssey.

• Like 1

I haven’t played Origins yet, but it takes place just before Rome took it, right? That would explain why why it feels “samey” to many in regards to buildings/locales. I never got around to Origins beyond running the benchmark and skipped right to Odyssey as I love Ancient Greece based stuff. I’d actually love a Roman-era one more, especially if it was during either the Second Punic War or possibly the Etruscan War, even though it would be EXTRA similar to Origins/Odyssey :p 

I think I saw that Vikings might be next? I really hope they get to Asia sooner than later, though (and the Mark of the Ninja style games do not count :p )

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I haven’t played Origins yet, but it takes place just before Rome took it, right? That would explain why why it feels “samey” to many in regards to buildings/locales. I never got around to Origins beyond running the benchmark and skipped right to Odyssey as I love Ancient Greece based stuff. I’d actually love a Roman-era one more, especially if it was during either the Second Punic War or possibly the Etruscan War, even though it would be EXTRA similar to Origins/Odyssey :p 

I think I saw that Vikings might be next? I really hope they get to Asia sooner than later, though (and the Mark of the Ninja style games do not count :p )

Who said Origins felt samey regarding locales? 

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Who said Origins felt samey regarding locales? 

On 9/2/2019 at 4:38 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Maybe I need to go back and play Origins for a minute again, but I don't recall any issues with combat or stealth. They seem pretty damn similar in that regard. 

I just find Egypt more interesting than Greece. Seems like a lot of the locales in Odyssey feel really...samey. And good god, there's too much content in Odyssey. It's overwhelming. Too many quests to follow on my tracker. 

:confused:

I was making the observation as to why Odyssey feels samey compared to Origins in regards to locales. :p 

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

:confused:

I was making the observation as to why Odyssey feels samey compared to Origins in regards to locales. It was after Alexander conquered Egypt and filled it with Greek-based architecture/culture :p 

Yeah, um, I was saying that the map on Odyssey feels all the same. Not comparing it to Origins, just that there doesn't seem to be much variety in one area to the next in Odyssey. 

On 9/3/2019 at 2:12 PM, Spork3245 said:

Origins takes place in the "Ptolemaic" era -- when it was ruled by a Greek dynasty just before the fall to the Romans.  For most of the game, the combat is against Greek or Roman soldiers.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Despite having had this game for a long time, I finally started playing and I think it's pretty great. It's enormous, and while most of the activities are fun, I'm still trying to figure out the rewards system.

What I mean by that is it seems like gear becomes outdated so quickly, that it's rarely a good investment to do something specifically for the gear. Even legendary items are outclassed by commons in two levels or so. It's so expensive to upgrade gear, and it's so readily available, it doesn't seem generally worthwhile.

When it comes to conquest stuff, when I got to my first territory or two, I thought it was very cool to do all the stuff to weaken a state, start the battle, and now someone else is in charge. While it makes some sense that you can then just do it again, it didn't feel like there was much point to it all. Conquest feels like it's analogous to territory control in many other games, but in most of those games there's a real benefit to seizing control of a territory beyond just the immediate rewards. There are fewer enemies or missions in that area become easier or something. In Odyssey, it doesn't really matter who's in charge, and weakening a state further than you have to only helps in the conquest of that state, so it's kind of a closed loop without much effect on the rest of the game.

Don't' get me wrong, I'm really enjoying the game. I'm doing pretty much all the sidequests I come across, cleaning out bandits and forts and what not, but it does seem rather endless, so I'm trying to figure out what is the most impactful of the secondary systems (conquest, cultists, mercenaries, etc.) I'll probably just keep following the main story and see where that takes me.

I started playing the game because the Ultimate edition with everything is on sale for $30. Base game is $15. So I bought the everything edition. 

so far, I’m enjoying it. It feels more like assassin’s creed than I want, but not as much as I’d hate. Still very early in the game. I need to mess around with customizing the hud more. Just too much on screen ruining the ambience and scenery. 

One thing I want to give them a big nod of approval for is when the game hit 30% downloaded and said it was “ready to play”, it meant it. It didn’t just let me get to the title screen and tell me to wait for it to finish downloading. So bravo. About time somebody used that feature properly. 

• 3 weeks later...

FYI for anyone in my position, the Uplay store is again discounting the DLC. It's been on sale nearly everywhere else, but apparently you need to buy the DLC from where you got the game.

After 60 hours I've gotten to lvl 51, completed all three main storylines, become the top bounty hunter, and collected some sets of legendary armor. I really enjoyed the game all the way through. Even after all that time and having done all those quests, there are still somehow places on the map I haven't even seen. Though if I were to have a complaint about the map, it might actually be too small, or at least the ocean is. There could be half the land mass and I'd still never have run out of things to do, but the islands are all so close together. At times i was tempted to just swim between some of them. Very few ocean travels felt like a voyage when both your departure and destination points are always in sight.

I still feel like the conquest battle system was a bit toothless. I wish that who controlled what territory mattered much more than the colors of their banners. The story forces you to pick sides at different points, and I wish there had been an incentive to help flip an area to one side or the other. Early in the game the gear reward lasts so little time as to be pointless, and later in the game the set rewards are so powerful that it's not worth trading in a single piece even if it's slightly better. Some kind of gameplay reward though, like soldiers leaving you alone or more fast travel points or cheaper prices or anything would have made me care about it much more.

At least in the later part of the game gear did stick around for a while. For far too long there's no incentive to invest in anything because you level so quickly and the gear lasts so little time, even if it's legendary. I was glad when that dynamic shifted, even if upgrading gear is far too expensive.

I don't say this often, but the saving grace of this game really is it's scope. Each piece is often lacking by itself. The combat is simple and doesn't really get much deeper as you progress. The stealth is fine, but not overly exciting. The conquest system is largely pointless, the skills are horribly unbalanced with some being extremely powerful and other being nearly worthless, gear either lasts for half a level or for the rest of the game. Sailing is largely unnecessary, but occasionally very necessary. There really is nothing about any of these parts that is very impressive by itself. However, when all taken together most of those weaknesses seem to disappear. You're always working towards multiple goals, using all these systems at once. If a single quest line involves stealth and combat and sailing and gives you gear and experience and changes the territory power and sets mercenaries on you and involves a cultist and is telling a story, it's easy to forgive any one of those things not being best in class or terribly consequential by themselves. As someone that generally favors more curated experiences, I loved Odyssey because it does so much. It's far from perfect and isn't clearly the one true path for the AC games to take, but in this instance it works wonders.

@TwinIon I agree with most of your points.

In terms of gear, I found that some of the bonuses for using armour sets were significant enough to warrant upgrading the armour.  I tended to upgrade armour ~every 5 levels or so.  While it was expensive to do so, I also found in the later part of the game I had a ton of money/resources anyways.

I suggest you play the Fates of Atlantis DLC -- IMHO it was by far the best part of the game.