Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pikachu

General Gaming Assassin's Creed Odyssey | Official Thread of Dangling Off Zeus's Wang

Recommended Posts

The openness of AC seems like an easy way to wash away the poor taste of Tomb Raider. I didn't love Origins, and planned to skip this one, but maybe I'll give it a try anyways. Seems that there is still a $10 Best Buy pre order reward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, gotta get through Spider-Man this week, so I can grab this to play until RDR2. 

 

Loved the hell out of Origins.

 

So many good games releasing. I've even got Dragon Quest and Valkyria Chronicles sitting on the back burner. Just more in the mood for action games right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So... everyone is playing as the lady right?

Is she the preferred choice? I read her voice acting is way better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Interesting. I wonder if the new Chromecast will end up being compatible with this.

 

 

I've said it before and I still think it's true that game streaming is the future. The question simply remains if the latency is good enough. If the latency is good enough and if the computing is cheap enough (and those are both big ifs), Google could really open the floodgates. The rumored MS service likely wouldn't be far behind and I'd have to imagine that Amazon would be in there right quick. Oddly enough, the low resolution, underpowered Switch would in many ways be an ideal platform for game streaming, but there's zero chance that Nintendo could pull that off anytime soon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assassin's Creed Odyssey's Exploration mode kills quest markers, and it's about damn time (PC Gamer)

I honestly wasn't expecting much from Odyssey, thinking it would just be Origins in a new setting. But I've been surprised to discover a gorgeous, vibrant, sweeping RPG that recalls the best of The Witcher 3, with a little Mass Effect thrown in for good measure. I think it might even be the best Assassin’s Creed, but I'm saving wild statements like that until I'm more than 15 hours in. The quests are great, the world is stunning, and the freedom of the naval exploration is exhilarating. But it's Exploration mode that's really made me fall in love with this thing—and reignited my passion for open world games in general. Because it's reminded me of how joyful exploration can be when you aren't switching your brain off and following yet another flashing quest marker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey's Exploration mode kills quest markers, and it's about damn time (PC Gamer)

I honestly wasn't expecting much from Odyssey, thinking it would just be Origins in a new setting. But I've been surprised to discover a gorgeous, vibrant, sweeping RPG that recalls the best of The Witcher 3, with a little Mass Effect thrown in for good measure. I think it might even be the best Assassin’s Creed, but I'm saving wild statements like that until I'm more than 15 hours in. The quests are great, the world is stunning, and the freedom of the naval exploration is exhilarating. But it's Exploration mode that's really made me fall in love with this thing—and reignited my passion for open world games in general. Because it's reminded me of how joyful exploration can be when you aren't switching your brain off and following yet another flashing quest marker.

While not a huge deal be aware the quest givers sometimes just straight up give you the wrong direction 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought it. Feels good to be back in assassin's creed.

 

It definitely feels exactly like origins, so if you're burnt out on that, maybe give it a pass. If you loved it and wanted more, this is great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mo1518 said:

Bought it. Feels good to be back in assassin's creed.

 

It definitely feels exactly like origins, so if you're burnt out on that, maybe give it a pass. If you loved it and wanted more, this is great. 

 

Precisely my thoughts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing on Nightmare and I like the notion that going up against more than a couple people at a time gets me killed pretty quickly. I don’t know that I’ll stick on that difficulty the whole time on such a long game, but it’s a far cry from Ass Bro where Ezio would counterchain entire mobs to a death they would all patiently wait their turn for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone doing Exploration Mode?  If so, would like some feedback on this please :)

More curious if it ends up being annoying eventually or as fun as some of these reviews say.  Also curious on if it lessens the amount of side quests that you'll do cause you aren't distracted by icons telling you go to here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PC Invasion - 90%

Assassin's Creed Odyssey puts the franchise back on the map as a critical darling. There's no malaka here whatsoever as it just "Greeks" of goodness. The story and characters are engaging and there are tons of activities to do. Greek culture and locations are a wonder to behold. Barring a few caveats, this has been a stellar offering for the franchise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

Anyone doing Exploration Mode?  If so, would like some feedback on this please :)

More curious if it ends up being annoying eventually or as fun as some of these reviews say.  Also curious on if it lessens the amount of side quests that you'll do cause you aren't distracted by icons telling you go to here.

 

I'm liking it a lot. When you get a quest, you get rpg-style conversation choices, including asking where your target is. They respond fairly descriptively, saying things like "you'll find his hideout on the west coast of the island" but without just dropping a glowing "Go Here" beacon on the screen. So off you go, heading west through uncharted territory with just an idea of where to go. It's great. 

 

There's still markers for new sidequests and where an original quest giver was, in case you forget after holding a mission for a long time without doing it, and the HUD is still pretty cluttered, but also fully customizable. I'm going to start turning some elements off soon once I figure out what is essential. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

Anyone doing Exploration Mode?  If so, would like some feedback on this please :)

More curious if it ends up being annoying eventually or as fun as some of these reviews say.  Also curious on if it lessens the amount of side quests that you'll do cause you aren't distracted by icons telling you go to here.

So I’m not off the starting island yet, so... take this with a grain of salt since I don’t know how much you can generalize.

 

In exploration mode you’ll still see ? Icons on your compass as you approach points of interest. When you get a quest from someone, the outcome is normally something like, “you’re looking for PIZZA. It’s in the SOUTHWEST part of QUEENS.” And if you pull up the map, you’ll see that the area is divided into sections, one of which will be Queens, and when you get within range of where you should be, you usually get the prompt that you’re in the area and to use your eagle.

 

The map generally barks at you if you’ve gotten within range of a quest giver, so you’re not walking up and trying to talk to NPCs you can’t interact with.

 

EDIT - MO NINJA’D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

Thanks!  Definitely will be playing in exploration mode then.  I'll have to pick this up when I get back in town next week.

 

Don't think of it as some hardcore mode or anything, more like a less handholding mode. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-Breath of Wild Easter Egg check

-Nemesis style system check

--option to investigate areas instead of outright being told where to go.. check

-massive map check...

 

between the scope of Ass Creed and Red Dead.. Wow!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing they describe in that article is a HUGE problem. Minor annoyance? Maybe. And it doesn’t sound like it has a microstransaction problem at all. Shut up Polygon and Your continually garbage opinions

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...