Assassin's Creed Odyssey | Official Thread of Dangling Off Zeus's Wang - update: 60FPS support for PS5/Xbox Series consoles coming August 24

Pikachu

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Interesting. I wonder if the new Chromecast will end up being compatible with this.

I've said it before and I still think it's true that game streaming is the future. The question simply remains if the latency is good enough. If the latency is good enough and if the computing is cheap enough (and those are both big ifs), Google could really open the floodgates. The rumored MS service likely wouldn't be far behind and I'd have to imagine that Amazon would be in there right quick. Oddly enough, the low resolution, underpowered Switch would in many ways be an ideal platform for game streaming, but there's zero chance that Nintendo could pull that off anytime soon.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey's Exploration mode kills quest markers, and it's about damn time (PC Gamer)

I honestly wasn't expecting much from Odyssey, thinking it would just be Origins in a new setting. But I've been surprised to discover a gorgeous, vibrant, sweeping RPG that recalls the best of The Witcher 3, with a little Mass Effect thrown in for good measure. I think it might even be the best Assassin’s Creed, but I'm saving wild statements like that until I'm more than 15 hours in. The quests are great, the world is stunning, and the freedom of the naval exploration is exhilarating. But it's Exploration mode that's really made me fall in love with this thing—and reignited my passion for open world games in general. Because it's reminded me of how joyful exploration can be when you aren't switching your brain off and following yet another flashing quest marker.

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey's Exploration mode kills quest markers, and it's about damn time (PC Gamer)

I honestly wasn't expecting much from Odyssey, thinking it would just be Origins in a new setting. But I've been surprised to discover a gorgeous, vibrant, sweeping RPG that recalls the best of The Witcher 3, with a little Mass Effect thrown in for good measure. I think it might even be the best Assassin’s Creed, but I'm saving wild statements like that until I'm more than 15 hours in. The quests are great, the world is stunning, and the freedom of the naval exploration is exhilarating. But it's Exploration mode that's really made me fall in love with this thing—and reignited my passion for open world games in general. Because it's reminded me of how joyful exploration can be when you aren't switching your brain off and following yet another flashing quest marker.

While not a huge deal be aware the quest givers sometimes just straight up give you the wrong direction 

Playing on Nightmare and I like the notion that going up against more than a couple people at a time gets me killed pretty quickly. I don’t know that I’ll stick on that difficulty the whole time on such a long game, but it’s a far cry from Ass Bro where Ezio would counterchain entire mobs to a death they would all patiently wait their turn for.

Anyone doing Exploration Mode?  If so, would like some feedback on this please :)

More curious if it ends up being annoying eventually or as fun as some of these reviews say.  Also curious on if it lessens the amount of side quests that you'll do cause you aren't distracted by icons telling you go to here.

PC Invasion - 90%

Assassin's Creed Odyssey puts the franchise back on the map as a critical darling. There's no malaka here whatsoever as it just "Greeks" of goodness. The story and characters are engaging and there are tons of activities to do. Greek culture and locations are a wonder to behold. Barring a few caveats, this has been a stellar offering for the franchise.

49 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

Anyone doing Exploration Mode?  If so, would like some feedback on this please :)

More curious if it ends up being annoying eventually or as fun as some of these reviews say.  Also curious on if it lessens the amount of side quests that you'll do cause you aren't distracted by icons telling you go to here.

I'm liking it a lot. When you get a quest, you get rpg-style conversation choices, including asking where your target is. They respond fairly descriptively, saying things like "you'll find his hideout on the west coast of the island" but without just dropping a glowing "Go Here" beacon on the screen. So off you go, heading west through uncharted territory with just an idea of where to go. It's great. 

There's still markers for new sidequests and where an original quest giver was, in case you forget after holding a mission for a long time without doing it, and the HUD is still pretty cluttered, but also fully customizable. I'm going to start turning some elements off soon once I figure out what is essential. 

50 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

So I’m not off the starting island yet, so... take this with a grain of salt since I don’t know how much you can generalize.

In exploration mode you’ll still see ? Icons on your compass as you approach points of interest. When you get a quest from someone, the outcome is normally something like, “you’re looking for PIZZA. It’s in the SOUTHWEST part of QUEENS.” And if you pull up the map, you’ll see that the area is divided into sections, one of which will be Queens, and when you get within range of where you should be, you usually get the prompt that you’re in the area and to use your eagle.

The map generally barks at you if you’ve gotten within range of a quest giver, so you’re not walking up and trying to talk to NPCs you can’t interact with.

EDIT - MO NINJA’D

• Like 1