Assassin's Creed Odyssey | Official Thread of Dangling Off Zeus's Wang - update: 60FPS support for PS5/Xbox Series consoles coming August 24

Pikachu

On 1/8/2019 at 11:36 AM, SFLUFAN said:

@legend

ENEMY SCALING

One of the most community-requested features since launch is coming this month. With the next update you will be able to adapt enemy scaling settings to your preferences. As soon as the update hits on January 10, visit the options menu and find the Level Scaling setting. From there you’ll be able to customize how drastically the enemies will scale to your level.

• Heavy – All enemies remain at your level.
  • Normal – No change in the difficulty settings.
  • Light – Content is around two levels below your level.
  • Very Light – Content is around four levels below your level.

weird i played some last night but didnt notice an update

On 1/8/2019 at 2:36 PM, SFLUFAN said:

@legend

ENEMY SCALING

One of the most community-requested features since launch is coming this month. With the next update you will be able to adapt enemy scaling settings to your preferences. As soon as the update hits on January 10, visit the options menu and find the Level Scaling setting. From there you’ll be able to customize how drastically the enemies will scale to your level.

• Heavy – All enemies remain at your level.
  • Normal – No change in the difficulty settings.
  • Light – Content is around two levels below your level.
  • Very Light – Content is around four levels below your level.

I believe this is how it's handled in origins. Interesting that they took it out for Odyssey. Glad they put it back before I started playing. About to beat the Pharoah's DLC.

• 5 weeks later...

I just started playing Odyssey last week -- I'm only about 3 hours in (~level 5).  (The PC looks/plays noticeably better than the project stream version that I played briefly last year.)

My initial impressions are positive -- and I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of new systems/changed systems from Origins.

12 hours ago, Man_of_X said:

Those legendary pigs are the hardest thing in the game.  I fucking shit you not!

The first one, the one that summons the smaller boars was hard. It took me about 3 tries to beat it, but the farting one, OMG. It's poison fart clouds never seem to disappear and I'm always poisoned. It's so frustrating.

oh man - that fight was so unfair...i did it at level 11 (or was it 12).  I think i spent like 3 hours retrying that shit

The aftermath was insane - there were like 25 dead mini boars by the time i was done with it.  I don't get how that wasn't fixed in a patch.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I am ~Level 20.  And just saw my first animus!

I am really impressed with how much progress they made between Origins and Odyssey.  They transformed what I consider a very mediocre game (Origins) into a pretty good one (Odyssey).

The story is dramatically improved from the first game -- I'm probably only 1/3 of the way through (so this could change), but I am really digging Kassandra's character, and the general story arc.  The characters are mostly well acted, seem to have (somewhat) logical motivations, and the story is actually pretty entertaining.  It shares some of the same pacing issues, in that you can get diverted from the main story as you play through the side content.

The second area I feel they made dramatic improvements is in the open world -- there just feels like there are more things to do.  More quests (some are procedurally generated), large battles, ship combat -- less of the generic animal pits/copy paste forts that were spread through Origins.

More systems -- I think the Mercenary system is (mostly) an improvement over the Phylakes (sp?) from Origins -- there are a LOT more of them, and you can get into battles with 2-3 of them at a time -- and these are actually the most fun battles in the game.

However, I still think that there are a few things in the game that are holding it back from greatness...

1)  Combat is too easy.  I had difficulty with one battle early in the game (I had only picked abilities suited for stealth, and it was enforced combat).  However, over the last 5-6 hours, the only time I have died is when I was fighting 2 mercenaries, and a third came in that was 2 levels above me and shot me with fire arrows before I knew he was there.

2)  Fighting above your level isn't fun.  They keep sending Mercenaries against me that are 2-3 levels above me.  And with a 2 level difference, the amount of damage I do is dramatically nerfed, and they can usually 2-hit me.  It feels like a grind -- so I'm basically just running away from them now.

3)  Loot isn't very interesting.  They took the perks (i.e. health regen, adrenaline regen, sleep, etc.) away from the weapons -- so they basically all feel interchangeable now.  And at my level in the game, it usually makes sense to use whatever weapon/armor has the highest level.  Given that I'm changing my weapons every hour or so, does it even make sense to enhance (engrave?) my weapons?

That said, I'm really enjoying my time in the game -- and really thankful that they took the mostly disappointing Origins, and made a REALLY solid game out of it.

Everything has led to this moment in your conflict against the Order of the Ancients. Put your differences with Darius aside to stop the evil forces hunting you once and for all in the final episode of Legacy of the First Blade! #AssassinsCreedOdyssey.

So I've been playing both Odyssey and Origins concurrently, but seeing as how they're still updating and having events for Odyssey I'm wondering if I should just ditch Origins for now and play Odyssey through first. I'm thinking by the time I get to a point to take advantage of the bounties and such, they'll be done supporting the game.

• 1 month later...

I'm at about level 46, with about 50 hours on the gameclock.  I think I am midway through Chapter 7.  I think about half of the world is still unvisited for me -- not sure if those areas are focused on DLC, or if I still have that much content to play through.

I have to say, so far, that the story is probably the best AC stories so far.  Interesting characters, a main story arc that is mostly logical, and some pretty great side missions.  My main beef with the game is how long it is -- and the relative lack of varied content.  It certainly has more variety than Origins -- but it also is a lot longer.  And the only time I find the combat difficult is when I let my "Mercenary gauge" get to 4-5, and I have to deal with multiple mercenaries (some that are several levels above me).  The AC games have never been "difficult", but IMHO the combat is not "good enough" to justify a 120 hour game.

It could be my fault for doing too much of the side content -- but it was not ALWAYS clear to me which of the side content is truly intended just for grinding.

2 hours ago, mikechorney said:

It could be my fault for doing too much of the side content -- but it was not ALWAYS clear to me which of the side content is truly intended just for grinding.

The quest menu has it separated what is fluff and what is main story.  The other islands are just mainly side quests, but sometimes I accidentally run into someone you need to assassinate for main story.  I haven't played it in awhile, but will probably jump back soon now that i'm finished with Sekiro.

1 minute ago, eggydoo said:

The quest menu has it separated what is fluff and what is main story.  The other islands are just mainly side quests, but sometimes I accidentally run into someone you need to assassinate for main story.  I haven't played it in awhile, but will probably jump back soon now that i'm finished with Sekiro.

Sort of.  Some of the "side quests" seem to be pretty integral to the story/progression.  Others are pure fluff.

Can you complete assassinating the cult by just mainlining it?

1 hour ago, legend said:

Nice. I still need to get back to the last DLC set and finish it, but this looks solid!

I didn't finish the first batch of dlc either, but I also wasn't particularly enjoying it. This, however, looks more in line with the wilder second DLC in origins, which I loved. The game gets better when it gets weirder. 

4 minutes ago, mo1518 said:

I didn't finish the first batch of dlc either, but I also wasn't particularly enjoying it. This, however, looks more in line with the wilder second DLC in origins, which I loved. The game gets better when it gets weirder. 

So first one a pass?  I might wait then.

1 hour ago, eggydoo said:

So first one a pass?  I might wait then.

It was very much more of the same, and I was pretty burnt out on the game at the time having just finished getting the platinum trophy and doing all the things. I probably should have waited a bit to play it. It does add some cool new abilities to the skill tree. I'll probably try and finish it off. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished chapter two for the Atlantis DLC.  While the first DLC story was ok, aside from the forced decisions, this one was a huge step up.

Really enjoyed it.  Totally new areas to explore, good story, great call backs.

If you enjoyed Odyssey, I'd really recommend you check this one out.  Oh, and new enhancements to abilities that are pretty cool as well.