New Bumblebee trailer looks... good, what is happening

elbobo

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 2:35 PM, Amazatron said:

Initial reviews are rolling in, currently sitting at 96% on RT (22 positive, 1 negative).

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bumblebee

On 12/10/2018 at 3:10 PM, Pikachu said:

Wow, this legit has a chance to be the first certified fresh live-action TF movie.

It's now at 98% (45-1).  This is...unprecedented.

On 12/10/2018 at 3:10 PM, Pikachu said:

Wow, this legit has a chance to be the first certified fresh live-action TF movie.

My brain must be playing tricks on me because I thought the first one was fresh. Clearly it was not.

Yeah this one has looked good since the first trailer, and even though I groaned when I heard the announcement, now it looks like this is a must-see for anybody who's remotely interested in the franchise.

15 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

I think studio interference was the bigger overall worry for most people. Even the best directors would have a difficult time making a good movie with a studio hellbent on enforcing their vision.

Normally, I would agree, but by this point with all the marketing and advertising we've seen (he even got to bring in G1 Transformers designs despite this being in the Bay Transformers universe) we shouldn't be surprised this is at least pretty good.

I hope it makes money though, which is less guaranteed . . . 

52 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

GUYS, FOR THE LAST TIME THIS IS DIRECTED BY THE GUY WHO DIRECTED KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS

I've never heard of that movie. I just watched the trailer and now I want to see it. But I don't think it's streaming anywhere?

EDIT: I take that back. It *is* on amazon.

6 minutes ago, legend said:

I've never heard of that movie. I just watched the trailer and now I want to see it. But I don't think it's streaming anywhere?

EDIT: I take that back. It *is* on amazon.

The movie is one of the best stop-motion/animated efforts in the last 15 years. Please go watch it ASAP! And then let us know what you think. It's by LAIKA studio, the guys who do Coraline, The Boxtrolls, Para-Norman, etc. Travis Knight directed Kubo. He is the owner of LAIKA and the son of the founder and CEO of Nike. :)

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

The movie is one of the best stop-motion/animated efforts in the last 15 years. Please go watch it ASAP! :)

I might wait till next week since I'm visiting family then it could be a movie to watch with them. But it is now thoroughly on my todo list!

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I have a feeling this is going to beat Aquaman this weekend.

We did almost exactly 5 times the ticket sales for Aquaman as Bumblebee last night, and that seemed pretty common when I looked at other theaters in the area. I would expect Bumblebee to do better over the weekend as comic book fans tend to show up big for those Thursday shows, but I don’t see Bumblebee actually doing more business than Aquaman over the weekend.

What is more interesting to me is to see which Holiday release has legs this year like Showman and Jumanji. Bumblebee has a chance as people see it and the word of mouth spreads that it is actually really good.

Yeah the marketing blitz for Aquaman has been through the roof. And there’s nothing really about the Bumble Bee trailer that would lead casual movie goers to think its that much different than the other movies. So like @sblfilms said. I think Aquaman will blow it away this weekend but Bumble Bee might be that movie that sits at number 2 for two months as word spreads how much better it is. 

Just now, Hurdyb1 said:

Saw it this afternoon. It is the best live action Transformers movie. Michael Bay needs to stay the hell away from this franchise and it has much to give to fans and can when the source material is respected.

That's good to hear. I'd pretty much written this off, especially after the last disaster, and I wasn't all that thrilled with the trailers all seeming to focus on the teenage girl, but the reviews being through the roof I a more than likely going to have to get my butt to the theater to see it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

it’s nice to see the little guy make it

Travis started as an intern at the predecessor to Laika, and Co-founded what is now Laika with his father and worked in the trenches as an animator before finally jumping in to the director’s chair for Kubo. Certainly not a little guy, but he earned his turn.

And Kubo is incredible so who cares anyway :p

3 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

yeah the hereditary meritocracy is great

You need to chill out with your schtick my man. If he was making shit movies you could have a discussion about it but if he’s making good movies who is really going to care. He’s proved he belongs with the quality films he has made. Sorry he wasn’t poor and had to grind like a madman for his shot. 

8 minutes ago, johnny said:

You need to chill out with your schtick my man. If he was making shit movies you could have a discussion about it but if he’s making good movies who is really going to care. He’s proved he belongs with the quality films he has made. Sorry he wasn’t poor and had to grind like a madman for his shot. 

I can enjoy the movies and criticize the terrible system at the same time.  If that bothers you, then that’s your problem

5 minutes ago, johnny said:

Exactly. If he was getting to keep making movies because he was born into one of the wealthiest families in the world, that would be one thing. But he is a great animator, writer, director, and producer. He has put in the work like anybody who gets the rare opportunity of making a big budget film. The tweet makes it sound like he had no experience in filmmaking prior to directing Kubo and got the job because of his daddy.

Just now, RedSoxFan9 said:

I can enjoy the movies and criticize the terrible system at the same time.  If that bothers you, then that’s your problem

What is terrible about working in the industry for 15 years before getting your first directing job? What system would be better?