Rod Rosenstein, in anticipation of being more than likely fired today, may or may not have offered to resign

osxmatt

So it's being reported now that he actually hasn't resigned yet... he discussed it with Kelly over the weekend but he wanted to resign under specific terms (probably some kind of guarantee that the Mueller investigation would be protected) and no agreement was met. He's heading over to The White House now but he's still Deputy A.G.. Basically it seems like he's now daring Trump to actually fire him. 

NYT taking credit for his firing, even though other more credible reports have shown that the NYT got suckered and their article wasn't accurate:

If anyone is still subscribing to the NYT, I would recommend dropping them as they clearly don't deserve your money. Their line should read: "Rod Rosenstein is expected to leave the Justice Dept. after The Times revealed that White House sources say he discussed the president’s removal, which was later contradicted by more in-depth reporting that showed he never discussed his removal, only that he made a joke sarcastically about someone else wanting to record his conversations. He oversees Robert Mueller. "

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

This is actually a boon for the Russia investigation, especially if he ends up being fired, and not resigning. Bah gawd I hope Rowdy Roddy wears a wire to the White House TODAY.  That would be fucking epic!   

You mean "boom" for the Russia investigation as that is exactly what's going to happen to it.

The Mueller team is probably just doing some edit checks in preparation for hitting the "send" button when their services are no longer needed by the DoJ.

8 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Cheer up, butter cup!  This is an exciting and welcome development.  It's accelerating the entire thing.  I have no doubt that Trump will overtake Gerald Ford in terms of a White House Speed Run.  

The only thing this is speeding up is America's decline. I think Pandora's box is open, and it's too late. 

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

You mean "boom" for the Russia investigation as that is exactly what's going to happen to it.

The Mueller team is probably just doing some edit checks in preparation for hitting the "send" button when their services are no longer needed by the DoJ.

I don't disagree.  I also get the feeling that Mueller has more than enough information to submit a very thorough report to Congress concerning the President (and perhaps VP), as well as release any unsealed indictments.

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

That's exactly what I expect. I picture a scene right out of an Aaron Sorkin film where Rosenstein makes a call to Mueller in the car on the way to the WH just saying "It's time."

hypothetically, Rosentein gets fired. Then the Mueller Investigation is shut down. What happens next? We know liberals will take to the streets in protest, but with all 3 branches controlled by the GOP (and their unwillingness to stand up to trump on anything) what really is going to happen?

IMO, this is a dangerous time for this country. It all feels like a lose-lose situation. If the above happens, were fucked. If it doesnt and Trump ultimately gets impeached, I also think were fucked.

8 minutes ago, atom631 said:

hypothetically, Rosentein gets fired. Then the Mueller Investigation is shut down. What happens next? We know liberals will take to the streets in protest, but with all 3 branches controlled by the GOP (and their unwillingness to stand up to trump on anything) what really is going to happen?

IMO, this is a dangerous time for this country. It all feels like a lose-lose situation. If the above happens, were fucked. If it doesnt and Trump ultimately gets impeached, I also think were fucked.

It couldn't be better timing for the midterms, as far as the Left is concerned. That could have very bad repercussions for the Trump administration if they were hoping the investigation would go away peacefully.

4 minutes ago, Reputator said:

It couldn't be better timing for the midterms, as far as the Left is concerned. That could have very bad repercussions for the Trump administration if they were hoping the investigation would go away peacefully.

at this point, how many people are undecided where this would actually make a difference? I feel like after 2 years of Trump and this nonsense...you're either for or against him and nothing is going to change anyone's mind.