What are some fun games that I can play with 4-8 friends while drinking?

johnny

When I get together with my friends we usually play the same games, but sometimes we like to switch it up. I figured you guys would have some good input on some fun games. I'd say guidelines should be:

- Doesn't take longer than about an hour to finish one game

- Isn't really complicated to learn how to play (we are drinking, but we don't get drunk), but it doesn't need to be simple. 

- Something we don't need to be really focused on and can play casually while talking about other things. 

- IS FUN (either in a competitive sense, or just plain fun)

- Can be individual or a team game

I saw the game Secret Hitler and that looks like fun and up our alley. So if anybody has played that what are your thoughts on it? Plus other games :D 

Secret Hitler is excellent. It shines brightest with 9-10 people, plays very well with 7-8, and is okay to good with 5-6. You cannot play with just 4. To get the most out of it, I'd say you need to have a group that's comfortable lying to and manipulating friends within the context of a game. Some friend groups either have trouble doing that or hold it against people after play is over. But if your friends are into the concept, it's a very smartly designed hidden role game and absolutely worth playing. It's pretty fun if people are playing more "politely" and not actively trying to manipulate people, but the game's absolute best moments come from fascists trying to convince the liberals that one of their own is fascist or Hitler, or when you know your best friend well enough to realize they're a fascist, then have to try to convince the other liberals that your friend is a fascist without coming off like a fascist trying to frame someone else. There's a free print and play version on the game's website too, so if you have access to a printer and don't mind using printer paper components, the cost to try it is minimal. It's great.

Codenames is a really solid party game if you're into word association. You can find it anywhere, like Target. Decrypto is really good in this regard also.

Monikers pairs especially well with drinking or intoxicants, in addition to scaling well if your crowd gets larger. You can plat it with 4, but it's best with 6+ to make sure there's more than one person on each time guessing at any given time.

You can have most if not all of those for < $30, get a lot of play out of all of them, and none should take more than an hour after you've played once and have a general sense for the rules.

There's a lot of stuff that could work... do you and your friends have a specific theme or brand you all like, Star Wars or Lovecraft or space aliens? War games vs. social games?

12 hours ago, johnny said:

@Kal-El814 we all don’t really have a specific thing in common besides generally enjoying many tv shows. We are pretty knowledgeable about Disney. I’d say we play more social games.

Then I’d stick with Secret Hitler with those caveats, as well as the others I listed. If you’ve got 4 players and want something really light and fast, try Love Letter. If you like bluffing, I’d try Coup or Skull.

Coup and Love Letter are both light, quick playing bluffing games that are super fun for casual groups.  You can get through several rounds of each very fast.  For more strategy but not having to think too terribly much and keeping things social; Splendor is fun and plays in about 20-30 min.  All are super easy to teach and learn.

• 2 weeks later...