Metal Gear Solid Δ: Snake Eater (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) and Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1 (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch) - "First In-Engine Look" trailer (UE5) for Metal Gear Solid Δ

49 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

At least it had an ending unlike V. :p 

It had an ending... it was just in movie format and came on a separate disc that was only in the special edition :whistlin:

For real though fuck Konami for rushing it out & then ousting Kojima. The planned ending was actually pretty cool.

• Halal 1

17 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

It had an ending... it was just in movie format and came on a separate disc that was only in the special edition :whistlin:

For real though fuck Konami for rushing it out & then ousting Kojima. The planned ending was actually pretty cool.

BRB, digging through game files to find it

:p 

And I love MGSV but yeesh, the ending that was given is a big nothing.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I would agree that MGS4 does a pretty damn good job of cleaning up most of the dangling stuff brought up in MGS1 and 2 in particular, as well as some stuff from 3 that… probably didn’t need addressing but they did anyway. There are parts of it that are an obvious love letter to the series so far and those by and large work very well. Act 4 is 100% feels and the final fight is pure MGS anime bullshit and it’s great.

I also think that 4 does the worst job in the series of exploring its gameplay concepts. Octocamo is a great way of addressing the amount of time you spent in menus playing dress up with Big Boss, but it’s also the game with the least emphasis on infiltration up until that point, so it feels less important than it might have been in earlier games. The B&B Corps are the least interesting bosses in the series; they’re derivative and you find out most of what happened with them from Drebin infodumps after the fact.

And while I love me some MGS cutscenes, the gameplay / cinematic ratio in 4 is the worst in the series. It’s maybe a 20 hour game your first time through and there are 8 hours of cutscenes.

It’s not like it sucks or anything, it’s just the least interesting game to play in the series for me.

I would actually agree with everything you said - including that MGS4 explores its gameplay concepts the least of all the games. I think, to be fair, this was a case of Kojima's reach exceeding his grasp because of the limitations of the PS3 hardware; hence why he then went on to make Peace Walker and MGS5. Imagine if he made MGS4 today - it would probably look a lot more like MGS5 with a home base (probably with Sunny and all), much more open world rather than semi-open mini-worlds per chapter, etc. The B&B Corps at least had cool going for them but I agree they're derivative for MGS but I will say the loud cow-noise making bio-organic mechs were a real cool enemy. I think the rub here is you said "it's the least interesting game to play" and I think that's where you're an MGS fan perhaps more in it for the gameplay (a good thing!). I agree with you that it's still a great game but the least interesting to play but it is one of the best to watch and experience (I still think you need to play the game to get full enjoyment, just watching a Youtube gameplay compilation isn't the same feeling) and that might explain the difference in review scores.

43 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

26 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

BRB, digging through game files to find it :p 

And I love MGSV but yeesh, the ending that was given is a big nothing.

Not letting Kojima finish MGS5 still makes me hate Konami despite wanting good remakes of the MGS games. Without Kojima involved it will be weird.

• Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Forget MGS4 the next collection should be Metal Gear Acid. Let's go!

I would appreciate a collection of the portable games. I played a little Peace Walker, but not Acid or the Game Boy game. 

…but I also want MGS4. I want it all! 

MGSV remains the only game in this series I actually had fun playing. Listening to Kojima write dialog where he basically sucks himself off for 4 hours is so goddamn tedious. Which is why V was so good! Shame the whole game couldn't be more like Ground Zeroes, though. The environment to actually traverse and explore in V was almost as bad as Dragon's Dogma. Just shitty ass brown rock and sand for miles and miles and a little splash of greenery here or there, and almost no indoor locations at all.

• True 1

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

MGSV remains the only game in this series I actually had fun playing. Listening to Kojima write dialog where he basically sucks himself off for 4 hours is so goddamn tedious. Which is why V was so good! Shame the whole game couldn't be more like Ground Zeroes, though. The environment to actually traverse and explore in V was almost as bad as Dragon's Dogma. Just shitty ass brown rock and sand for miles and miles and a little splash of greenery here or there, and almost no indoor locations at all.

Well to be fair on top of the Afghanistan map you had the jungle-like Angola map so it was two open world maps at least. But the lack of indoor locations for most of the game was one big down side, I agree. The Angola map at least had more indoor locations it felt like than the much more open desert and rock Afghanistan map.

That was not a fucking jungle map! It was just another desert with a few trees!

To all this people that say that MGSV is a desert. I really like this river  and jungle location and wish there were more missions : r/metalgearsolid

Somehow it feels even more like a desert because it looks so arid and gross! And this was one of the "better" pictures I could find. Absolutely Z-tier artistry by the map team in this game. That was by far my biggest disappointment.

There was this one spot that looked more "jungle-y" in that it looked kinda like a creek trail with more greenery but man, this is not what I wanted out of a map after escaping a desert.

Thirty new Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain screenshots show Quiet and  African jungle - Metal Gear Informer

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Somehow it feels even more like a desert because it looks so arid and gross! And this was one of the "better" pictures I could find. Absolutely Z-tier artistry by the map team in this game. That was by far my biggest disappointment.

There was this one spot that looked more "jungle-y" in that it looked kinda like a creek trail with more greenery but man, this is not what I wanted out of a map after escaping a desert.

I totally agree I just wanted to be clear there were at least two maps! :p You do see how Death Stranding expanded on this though. 

5 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

To all this people that say that MGSV is a desert. I really like this river  and jungle location and wish there were more missions : r/metalgearsolid

Thirty new Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain screenshots show Quiet and  African jungle - Metal Gear Informer

Agree with all of the graphics comments including the Dragons Dogma remark. This is what made me disinterested in playing much of MGS5 more so than the story which for me was a let down also because I was a fan of the previous style, but the environments were so borrrrrrring. The core gameplay is fun, I won’t argue that, but I just didn’t want to be in that world at all so I bounced.

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

Where did we see an announcement that it won't be multi-platform?

The collection has only been officially announced for the PS5 so far, but a message from the development team on the official teaser website says this:

"Currently, the development team are working together to create an environment where fans can experience and enjoy the METAL GEAR series on the latest platforms.

"...we will deliver the METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION series, the most complete compilation that celebrates the 35th anniversary of the series. The METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION allows fans to play the games as they were, as first released on the latest platforms."

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 2:25 PM, Nokra said:

Haven't read all of this thread yet but, as primarily a PC gamer, I'm a bit disappointed that the collection won't be multi platform also. 

MGS-Master-Collection-Vol-1_06-21-23.jpg
WWW.GEMATSU.COM

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, Switch, and PC via Steam both physically and digitally on October 24 for $59.99, Konami announced.

• Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Metal Gear Solid Δ: Snake Eater (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) and Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1 (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch) officially announced
11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

MGS-Master-Collection-Vol-1_06-21-23.jpg
WWW.GEMATSU.COM

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, Switch, and PC via Steam both physically and digitally on October 24 for $59.99, Konami announced.

Great news! :dancing:

I’ll get this to have them officially on pc for sure. Even though the next play through of MGS3 will be the remake and the next play through of MGS1 I think I will do Twin Snakes in 3D. But MGS2 500th play through  could be this version. I’m actually craving a play through of it lately.

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I never got around to Snake Eater, as I was never the biggest fan of the series, but maybe I'll give the remaster a try.

The gigantic flaw with that game was that you can litteraly run through a "stage" without any combat to reach the next checkpoint or level. I was extremely disappointed by just running through the stages.

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

The gigantic flaw with that game was that you can litteraly run through a "stage" without any combat to reach the next checkpoint or level. I was extremely disappointed by just running through the stages.

I don't agree that's a flaw personally. MGS is a stealth action game, being able to get through a stage non-lethally and without engaging in combat with enemy is actually quite approriate and unique to the genre. In fact you are rewarded handsomely by the game for being non-lethal.