Metal Gear Solid Δ: Snake Eater (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) and Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1 (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch) - "First In-Engine Look" trailer (UE5) for Metal Gear Solid Δ

So here's something that may blow your wigs back, I never played MGS 3 (aside from perhaps the opening 10 minutes then just never dove back in), but I know how great the title is, so perhaps (much like with my PS3), I'll snag this generation of Playstation whenever the inevitable MGS PS5 bundle is announced.

Also, personally speaking, I'd much rather have a fully from the ground up, MGS Peacemaker to be made. Then again, there's a solid argument for a whole new story as well.

• Shocked 1

I played the PS3 HD version of 3, and went for a no kill run, and figured I'd get a nice Gold Trophy out of it too. It was really tough, and one part was frustrating me, so I took out my anger by killing all the enemies, and then dying to restart. Made it to the end of the game with no kills, and was proud of myself, but it didn't give me the Gold Trophy for it because it "saved" my failed run where I killed enemies, even though I died and restarted from the last checkpoint. I was pissed. Apparently I should have quit the game, and restarted when I died instead of pressing Try Again, or Continue, or whatever the wording of that option was. 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

What is up with Konami never putting MGS4 on anything but PS3?

Volume 2 should have the rest, otherwise they wouldn’t call it Volume 1, but it definitely would have been nice.

I really need to play V some day. I love 1-4, and just never bothered playing 5.

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I loved all 4 of the MGS games (when they came out).  I'm not really sure I'm all that excited about another MGS game without Kojima (even though his more recent games haven't really connected with me).

I absolutely despise Death Stranding. I will never understand its praise.

I believe Contra and Castlevania collections weee both announced initially as the first volume and Castlevania has gotten a second vol but Contra has not. Tbf I can’t imagine many people are interested in the remaining Contra games but I just wouldn’t absolutely bank on a vol2 ever coming out.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I believe Contra and Castlevania collections weee both announced initially as the first volume and Castlevania has gotten a second vol but Contra has not. Tbf I can’t imagine many people are interested in the remaining Contra games but I just wouldn’t absolutely bank on a vol2 ever coming out.

I think contra collection just didn’t sell well enough to justify it. This should.

I love contra though, played a lot of it as a child.

39 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Volume 2 should have the rest, otherwise they wouldn’t call it Volume 1, but it definitely would have been nice.

I really need to play V some day. I love 1-4, and just never bothered playing 5.

Part V has some of the very best gameplay in any videogame to date. The story is trash and not even complete but Jesus was it a complete joy to play. 

Metal Gear Solid 4 is underrated and regardless of its quality it should absolutely get a remaster and ported to make it easily available again (preferably on PC but I'll take PS5 to begin with). 

More importantly, for the, what I presume will just be an updated release of the HD remaster collection on PS3/Xbox 360, will it be MGS2 base version or MGS2: Substance or both? Same case with MGS3, will it be MGS3 base version or MGS3: Subsistence or both? It's crazy that all of these games (except for Rising: Revengeance and MGS5) are locked to consoles. The HD collection is stuck on PS3/Xbox 360, same with MGS4 unless you streamed it I believe via PSNow. The Legacy collection, locked on to PS3, had both MGS1 and VR Missions, so I'm assuming we'll get both with that.

• True 2

14 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The best MGS game is Ground Zeroes.

It also happens to be have the most horrifically twisted cutscene in gaming history.

I actually don't even remember Ground Zeroes and what happened in it. 

14 minutes ago, Brick said:

I actually don't even remember Ground Zeroes and what happened in it. 

It's basically a small demo-like sandbox prologue to the story of MGS5: The Phantom Pain, the main game, even though it's a separate game on a separate disc/download. You infiltrate a black site to save two people from the previous game Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker who are captured by the main villain from The Phantom Pain (Skull Face) . It's short and pretty cool and it's a devastating epilogue to Peace Walker since it basically undoes everything you built in that game, but sets up rebuilding everything again in The Phantom Pain.

21 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's basically a small demo-like sandbox prologue to the story of MGS5: The Phantom Pain, the main game, even though it's a separate game on a separate disc/download. You infiltrate a black site to save two people from the previous game Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker who are captured by the main villain from The Phantom Pain (Skull Face) . It's short and pretty cool and it's a devastating epilogue to Peace Walker since it basically undoes everything you built in that game, but sets up rebuilding everything again in The Phantom Pain.

So then what's this disturbing cutscene Wade is referring to? 

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Hide contents

The ending cutscene contains a graphic depiction of cutting open an NPC's stomach to remove a bomb only then to discover that there's a second bomb implanted in her vagina.

Oh right. Even worse since she's just a kid. 

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Hide contents

The ending cutscene contains a graphic depiction of cutting open an NPC's stomach to remove a bomb only then to discover that there's a second bomb implanted in her vagina.

Wtf. How did I miss that!?

Edit: Oh...it's a kid. :|

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Metal Gear Solid 4 is underrated and regardless of its quality it should absolutely get a remaster and ported to make it easily available again (preferably on PC but I'll take PS5 to begin with). 

MGS4 has a 94 on Metacritic, and Phantom Pain has a 91. Absolute madness.

• True 1

Not that MGS has ever really shied away from torture, but the shit Wade is talking about and some of the stuff they do in Phantom Pain is my least favorite part of the series. It’s a weird time point in games where I feel like a lot of devs used it to show “how hard” their characters would go, and it fucking sucked.

• True 1

56 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

MGS4 has a 94 on Metacritic, and Phantom Pain has a 91. Absolute madness.

I don't think it's better than The Phantom Pain (an amazing open world with buttery smooth, extremely diverse gameplay), but I do understand in some ways why its higher given it scored a 94 at the time. Speaking as a huge Metal Gear fan since Metal Gear Solid came out in 1998 (as I'm sure many here are), MGS4 represented, finally, the culmination of the Solid Snake plot of the "Big Boss" era vs. "Solid Snake" era plots. I love the more realistic, grounded in history Big Boss plotline as many here do with MGS3, Portable Ops (depending on who you ask if that one counts), Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain. But I have always been more interested in the Solid Snake modern era plotline more, with it's wacky cybernetic ninjas, cool euro sci-fi aesthetic (now seen in Death Stranding, Returnal, and more) and commentary on the modern era with data information, AI and machine learning, PMC wars, etc. It was just cooler and more fun to me. To be fair, I wasn't one of those people who hated MGS2 (which has since gotten a huge reevaluation given how prescient it was in some ways), I liked it a lot.

So for a lot of fans, for us to have to wait 7 years from MGS2 to MGS4 to wrap up the dangling plot threads from MGS1/MGS2 felt like an agonizing wait at the time. We had to wait through MGS3 and Portable Ops to finally get to it. I understand why Hideo Kojima did it, he wanted to fill out the Big Boss plotline/era considerably  more before wrapping both plotlines up with MGS4 (more or less, if you ignore Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain which came out after, which are basically prequels since we know how everything ends). Now MGS3 is a great game, I'm a huge fan. But the wait for MGS4 was partially why MGS4 got such high reviews. Additionally, it was a blockbuster, PS3-exclusive epic at the time. The game has a lot of story and cutscenes, but the way it sets up its chapters, goes off on all kinds of tangents, it's like the whole thing is just epic and out of control. It's almost more of an experience than a game, except the gameplay is rock solidly coded (as all Kojima-led games usually are) and you can see proto-MGS5 gameplay with MGS4. The game plays stiff these days a bit, which is why a remaster would be welcome. So I think people were so hyped up at the time that everyone lavished it with a lot more praise than perhaps it deserved. It was also the culmination of all MGS plot threads, and that alone will probably have people overpraise it since everyone waited so long. The game's story can be incredibly byzantine and confusing but there's a lot of fun and a lot of good there. When I got to the finale of MGS4 and the different musical themes played with the setting around you (trying to keep it vague here) I had all kinds of feels personally.

Users seem to agree with the critics on Metacritic since MGS4 has an 8.8/10 based on 4300 votes whereas MGS5 (on PS4, the most reviewed version) has an 8.2 based on 6300 votes. Ironically, I think people were cool on MGS5 vs. MGS4 because of the lack of story and cutscenes by comparison; it's a lot of lovely gameplay but meaty story segments are few and far between and the missions themselves could often feel repetitive and same-y. I think that's short sighted given all the base building, recruiting, and incredible freedom in the open sandbox you have in MGS5 but a lot of MGS players aren't used to that type of gameplay based on all the other games which all aren't really like that (except Peace Walker, which hinted at a lot of MGS5 gameplay stuff). I actually loved the story in MGS5 and found its tangents and monologues pretty fascinating but other fans I know just got kind of bored. I think some MGS fans are in it for both story and gameplay, some just for gameplay, and others just for story, and that also helps to explain the MGS4 vs. MGS5 thing.

26 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't think it's better than The Phantom Pain (an amazing open world with buttery smooth, extremely diverse gameplay), but I do understand in some ways why its higher given it scored a 94 at the time. Speaking as a huge Metal Gear fan since Metal Gear Solid came out in 1998 (as I'm sure many here are), MGS4 represented, finally, the culmination of the Solid Snake plot of the "Big Boss" era vs. "Solid Snake" era plots. I love the more realistic, grounded in history Big Boss plotline as many here do with MGS3, Portable Ops (depending on who you ask if that one counts), Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain. But I have always been more interested in the Solid Snake modern era plotline more, with it's wacky cybernetic ninjas, cool euro sci-fi aesthetic (now seen in Death Stranding, Returnal, and more) and commentary on the modern era with data information, AI and machine learning, PMC wars, etc. It was just cooler and more fun to me. To be fair, I wasn't one of those people who hated MGS2 (which has since gotten a huge reevaluation given how prescient it was in some ways), I liked it a lot.

So for a lot of fans, for us to have to wait 7 years from MGS2 to MGS4 to wrap up the dangling plot threads from MGS1/MGS2 felt like an agonizing wait at the time. We had to wait through MGS3 and Portable Ops to finally get to it. I understand why Hideo Kojima did it, he wanted to fill out the Big Boss plotline/era considerably  more before wrapping both plotlines up with MGS4 (more or less, if you ignore Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain which came out after, which are basically prequels since we know how everything ends). Now MGS3 is a great game, I'm a huge fan. But the wait for MGS4 was partially why MGS4 got such high reviews. Additionally, it was a blockbuster, PS3-exclusive epic at the time. The game has a lot of story and cutscenes, but the way it sets up its chapters, goes off on all kinds of tangents, it's like the whole thing is just epic and out of control. It's almost more of an experience than a game, except the gameplay is rock solidly coded (as all Kojima-led games usually are) and you can see proto-MGS5 gameplay with MGS4. The game plays stiff these days a bit, which is why a remaster would be welcome. So I think people were so hyped up at the time that everyone lavished it with a lot more praise than perhaps it deserved. It was also the culmination of all MGS plot threads, and that alone will probably have people overpraise it since everyone waited so long. The game's story can be incredibly byzantine and confusing but there's a lot of fun and a lot of good there. When I got to the finale of MGS4 and the different musical themes played with the setting around you (trying to keep it vague here) I had all kinds of feels personally.

Users seem to agree with the critics on Metacritic since MGS4 has an 8.8/10 based on 4300 votes whereas MGS5 (on PS4, the most reviewed version) has an 8.2 based on 6300 votes. Ironically, I think people were cool on MGS5 vs. MGS4 because of the lack of story and cutscenes by comparison; it's a lot of lovely gameplay but meaty story segments are few and far between. I actually loved the story in MGS5 and found its tangents and monologues pretty fascinating but other fans I know just got kind of bored. I think some MGS fans are in it for both story and gameplay, some just for gameplay, and others just for story, and that also helps to explain the MGS4 vs. MGS5 thing.

I would agree that MGS4 does a pretty damn good job of cleaning up most of the dangling stuff brought up in MGS1 and 2 in particular, as well as some stuff from 3 that… probably didn’t need addressing but they did anyway. There are parts of it that are an obvious love letter to the series so far and those by and large work very well. Act 4 is 100% feels and the final fight is pure MGS anime bullshit and it’s great.

I also think that 4 does the worst job in the series of exploring its gameplay concepts. Octocamo is a great way of addressing the amount of time you spent in menus playing dress up with Big Boss, but it’s also the game with the least emphasis on infiltration up until that point, so it feels less important than it might have been in earlier games. The B&B Corps are the least interesting bosses in the series; they’re derivative and you find out most of what happened with them from Drebin infodumps after the fact.

And while I love me some MGS cutscenes, the gameplay / cinematic ratio in 4 is the worst in the series. It’s maybe a 20 hour game your first time through and there are 8 hours of cutscenes.

It’s not like it sucks or anything, it’s just the least interesting game to play in the series for me.

• True 1