Update: Telltale/Skybound Games reach agreement to complete The Walking Dead: The Final Season

Commissar SFLUFAN

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, SaysWho? said:

If they're not shutting down, then why is The Walking Dead: The Final Season being cancelled? I would think that it would be the one game that they would finish considering that there's already two episodes, and it's their biggest franchise. I of course don't want to see them shut down since I like a lot of their games, but if nothing else they should at least finish the final season of The Walking Dead.

Netflix still intends to produce Stranger Things game despite Telltale collapse (Polygon)

“We are saddened by news about Telltale Games,” Netflix said in a statement. “They developed many great games in the past and left an indelible mark in the industry. Minecraft: Story Mode is still moving forward as planned. We are in the process of evaluating other options for bringing the Stranger Things universe to life in an interactive medium.”

And right on cue, Devolver Digital offers its services:

3 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Netflix still intends to produce Stranger Things game despite Telltale collapse (Polygon)

“We are saddened by news about Telltale Games,” Netflix said in a statement. “They developed many great games in the past and left an indelible mark in the industry. Minecraft: Story Mode is still moving forward as planned. We are in the process of evaluating other options for bringing the Stranger Things universe to life in an interactive medium.”

And right on cue, Devolver Digital offers its services:

Stories Untold was a fantastic game.It was 2hr long interactive Outer Limits episode.

I really, really want to see TWD through to the end. Please find some way to make this happen. I hadn't bought the game yet, was waiting for all the episodes to be out or it go on sale. 

I really want to see how Clementine's story ends. It's bad enough we won't be seeing their other future projects, but I need TWD to finish properly!

Telltale Games was scuppered by failed finance round

More detail has come to light on the circumstances behind the hundreds of redundancies suffered at Telltale Games, suggesting the sudden loss of a single financial backer is to blame.

The news emerged on Friday that Telltale Games had laid off around 250 people, leaving just 25 to fulfill the company's current obligations.

Variety spoke to the studio's co-founder Dan Connors, who attributed to company's troubles to recent attempts at gaining finance.

"The company was working diligently to close a round of financing," he said. "Unfortunately, when the last potential financial backer abruptly pulled out, we were left in a position where we had no choice but to stop production.

"Sadly everyone was so focused on doing what was required to keep the company going that when the last potential partner backed out, there were no other options."

Connors was unable to reveal which backer caused such chaos, but multiple sources tell Variety that it was likely to be Lionsgate, the movie production firm that invested heavily in Telltale back in 2015.

The two companies were working together on a project that combined Telltale's interactive storytelling with live-action production, referred to as a "super show". But the project failed to materialise and Lionsgate seems to have abandoned the idea.

Link to Variety article