Marvel Studios' 'The Eternals' Trailer and Information Thread (Update: Final Trailer!)

Pikachu

On 11/26/2021 at 9:14 AM, skillzdadirecta said:
SLH-02817_RC-H-2021.jpg?w=1024
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Ryan and Kaz Firpo reflect on their Marvel journey, the big twist that was baked into the story early on, and look forward to their next project, 'The Motor City Girls.'

Make It So Patrick Stewart GIF

I normally don't like prequels but I really enjoyed all of the flashbacks in Eternals. The world and history is so interesting that fleshing it out only makes it richer.

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed the movie in theaters but understood where the wack criticisms were coming from despite not agreeing. After watching an easter egg video it made me want to watch the movie again really bad. I saw it last night on D+ and I LOVEd it the second time around. The Black Knight thing was probably the only thing that still seemed a bit tacked on and unnecessary but overall, it was awesome seeing it again. Especially that last action sequence.

I just watched this on Disney Plus, and let me just preface my little review with "I might have to watch this again just to figure out if I liked it or not".

About a third through the movie, I sort of drifted off while watching it and then next thing I knew a whole lot of stuff was happening, and I honestly had zero idea what was going on. But even before I sort of faded during that first third, it really felt like there was nothing going on in this story, and then out of nowhere, it seemed like everything was going on (but way too much way too late).

There were definitely way too many people to follow in this first story of a group of people I'd never heard of before. That was a huge problem. It was a lot like if you went into End Game and had never heard of Iron Man or anyone else in the MCU before watching that movie. They do not do a good job of introducing characters in a way that you care about them enough to try to figure out which one is which, and which ones you should care about. At least with End Game, you had a library of movies you probably watched before getting to that point.

Part of the problem of what bothered me about the whole concept of the Eternals is that they're supposed to be basically gods, and they didn't seem all that much more impressive than the normal run of the mill heroes of the MCU. Ikaris, who was obviously supposed to be the royal bad ass of the movie, really felt like Homelander on quaaludes. 

And I agree with a lot of the critics that the movie didn't do a good job of explaining why they sat out the fight of End Game and practically every other conflict that's happened in Earth's history. Yeah, they addressed it, but that doesn't mean they satisfied the viewers in doing so.

One of the biggest problems I perceived in this movie is that it felt like it was trying to do fan service and forgetting (or neglecting) that a lot of the audience was going to be less informed about what was going on. There were constant references to "new" people that seemed to be designed around diehard fans that would go "Oh, wow, they're talking about Galactus" or some other lesser known entity in the Marvel universe, but for me, I just found myself staring at the screen, thinking, "is this something else I have to watch a Youtube video on easter eggs to figure out what they were talking about?"

I really wanted to like it more, as I love what the MCU has done with practically every movie and tv show before it, but again, I might have to watch it again and hope that my experience is different. I do have a couple of pym particles lying around the house, so maybe I can use those and go back and watch it again for the first time.

I watched it the other night, I enjoyed it. Given how much story they were attempting to tell in such a (relatively) short span of time, I think it was done as well as it could be. The only thing I didn't like was basically all of the Kit Harrington stuff because every scene he's in can basically be described as "stay tuned!" so it's just distracting in the end. He serves hardly any purpose to the story other than setting up sequels. 

The movie is gorgeous, though. And I did like it quite a bit.

Watched it today. Agree with others that Black Knight/Kit Harrington could have been removed. Not that it was bad, bug could have spent that time on other characters.

Enjoyed all the history parts, wish they would have done more there. I actually thought they did a good job with the characters. A lot of new ones to balance, but I felt like I got a good sense of who they are in very little time.

I'm one who is not sick of MCU and want it to continue for another 20 years, so I was probably going to enjoy it anyways. It's not the best MCU movie, but it was an enjoyable ride. It's pretty deep cuts for comics,so not surprised that it has mixed reviews an it's not really clear how they'll fit in to the main MCU stories if at all 

Finally got to watch and I enjoyed myself. It was middling MCU, but also contained some of the best shot and choreographed action in all of the movies. I didn't find it too hard to follow; nor did my wife, and she had no idea who any of these people are. It helped that everyone's motivations were paper thin. You got leader who wants everyone to be happy. Soldier boy who wants to follow the mission. Two want to just live there lives while one of them is jealous of the other. One wants to help people, even against their will. One just wants to go home already. One wants to raise his family in peace. One wants to protect his sick friend and the last one just hates being sick.

Ultimately, since there were so many new characters what's driving them needed to be greatly simplified. That's how we end up with a pair of mostly weak villains. It's the revenge above all person... alien thing, and the ruthless mission comes first soldier. That deviant could have been so much more interesting. I hate what Marvel keeps doing to their villains.

Everything about Kit Harrington should have been cut. Introduce him as a boyfriend at the beginning. Never have him talk again. Like, seriously, the end would have been better if they were just pleasantly having a picnic when Arishem yeets Sersi into space. The end scene would have been fine as is. There's zero need for him to talk about secret pasts at any point in the movie. This movie is long enough as is. I'll blame Marvel execs for that one.

Speaking of end scenes, Blade is about the most random person to have pop up right there, even as a disembodied voice.

@skillzdadirecta, help me out here. I can't think of any real connection between these two. It's wildly random. I stayed away from spoilers, but my wife has a wildly good ear for voices and knew who it was. That's the only reason I even looked it up.

don't know what the connection will be in the MCU, especially since Dane hasn't used the sword and officially become the Black Knight in MCU yet, but Blade and Black Knight were on a team together with Captain and Britain and others for a short time. But I doubt that will be the connection because like I said Harrington's character hasn't even become the Black Knight yet. 

8 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Finally got to watch and I enjoyed myself. It was middling MCU, but also contained some of the best shot and choreographed action in all of the movies. I didn't find it too hard to follow; nor did my wife, and she had no idea who any of these people are. It helped that everyone's motivations were paper thin. You got leader who wants everyone to be happy. Soldier boy who wants to follow the mission. Two want to just live there lives while one of them is jealous of the other. One wants to help people, even against their will. One just wants to go home already. One wants to raise his family in peace. One wants to protect his sick friend and the last one just hates being sick.

Ultimately, since there were so many new characters what's driving them needed to be greatly simplified. That's how we end up with a pair of mostly weak villains. It's the revenge above all person... alien thing, and the ruthless mission comes first soldier. That deviant could have been so much more interesting. I hate what Marvel keeps doing to their villains.

Everything about Kit Harrington should have been cut. Introduce him as a boyfriend at the beginning. Never have him talk again. Like, seriously, the end would have been better if they were just pleasantly having a picnic when Arishem yeets Sersi into space. The end scene would have been fine as is. There's zero need for him to talk about secret pasts at any point in the movie. This movie is long enough as is. I'll blame Marvel execs for that one.

Speaking of end scenes, Blade is about the most random person to have pop up right there, even as a disembodied voice.

@skillzdadirecta, help me out here. I can't think of any real connection between these two. It's wildly random. I stayed away from spoilers, but my wife has a wildly good ear for voices and knew who it was. That's the only reason I even looked it up.

Agree that the Deviants were a missed opportunity. 

6 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

don't know what the connection will be in the MCU, especially since Dane hasn't used the sword and officially become the Black Knight in MCU yet, but Blade and Black Knight were on a team together with Captain and Britain and others for a short time. But I doubt that will be the connection because like I said Harrington's character hasn't even become the Black Knight yet. 

I suspect Blade will mentor him into it, or needs him to use the sword somehow. 

The Obsidian Blade is vampiric in a sense that while incredibly powerful, it corrupts the user and makes them go crazy with bloodlust, always wanting to kill. They could also be teasing a Midnight Sons team up with Blade, Black Knight, Moonknight, Doctor Strange, and maybe even Ghost Rider at some point. 

13 minutes ago, Brick said:

The Obsidian Blade is vampiric in a sense that while incredibly powerful, it corrupts the user and makes them go crazy with bloodlust, always wanting to kill. They could also be teasing a Midnight Sons team up with Blade, Black Knight, Moonknight, Doctor Strange, and maybe even Ghost Rider at some point. 

Is the Obsidian Blade different than the Ebony Blade? I never heard of that.

I could see a scenario where the MCU explains that the Ebony Blade IS vampiric. Like, rewrite the history of the sword and have Merlin make it with vampire blood. Otherwise there's zero reason for Blade to get involved. I don't see why he would care about cursed objects or be out there stalking the current owner of the Ebony Blade.

21 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I could see a scenario where the MCU explains that the Ebony Blade IS vampiric. Like, rewrite the history of the sword and have Merlin make it with vampire blood. Otherwise there's zero reason for Blade to get involved. I don't see why he would care about cursed objects or be out there stalking the current owner of the Ebony Blade.

This would be my guess as well. Given the nature of the sword and Blade, I immediately thought "Vampires".

37 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This would be my guess as well. Given the nature of the sword and Blade, I immediately thought "Vampires".

I've got it. Marvel, you don't need to pay me for this. Isn't Merlin and the first Marvel vampire, whatever his name was, both from Atlantis? Merlin leaves Atlantis and moves on to using the same vampiric magic used to create the first vampire to also create the Ebony Blade. There's your connection. Also maybe an excuse to bring in Namor... as long as it's Daniel Dae Kim.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I've got it. Marvel, you don't need to pay me for this. Isn't Merlin and the first Marvel vampire, whatever his name was, both from Atlantis? Merlin leaves Atlantis and moves on to using the same vampiric magic used to create the first vampire to also create the Ebony Blade. There's your connection. Also maybe an excuse to bring in Namor... as long as it's Daniel Dae Kim.

Boom, done.

Make It So Patrick Stewart GIF

5 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

rumor is Namor will make his debut in BP2

On 1/12/2022 at 8:21 PM, Komusha said:

Eternals is now on Disney+. I'm hoping this movie finds a second life once people check it out for themselves and see that the critics were straight up wrong about this one.

But they weren't wrong. It was definitely one of the worst marvel films. Its not a bad movie by any means, but not great either.

I'd be more interested in the prequel talked about above than part 2 of this (though ill watch that too). 

I actually watched it again and was less impressed the second time. 

10 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

But they weren't wrong. It was definitely one of the worst marvel films. Its not a bad movie by any means, but not great either.

I'd be more interested in the prequel talked about above than part 2 of this (though ill watch that too). 

I actually watched it again and was less impressed the second time. 

i prefer this to a lot of the mcu films. they have a lot of movies that are very cookie cutter and get reviewed well. that’s nice, but they get overrated often. for this movie they hired an amazing director and the only thing holding this movie back was how many characters she had to fit into it. 

Random aside. Does this movie mean Thanos was right? If you cut the population in half, you haltt he birth of all Celestials across the entire universe for thousands of years. The popular fan argument was always that Thanos could have double all resources instead of killing of half of everyone, but doing that would have just hastened everyone's demise.

Is r/thanosdidnothingwrong all over this?

16 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Random aside. Does this movie mean Thanos was right? If you cut the population in half, you haltt he birth of all Celestials across the entire universe for thousands of years. The popular fan argument was always that Thanos could have double all resources instead of killing of half of everyone, but doing that would have just hastened everyone's demise.

Is r/thanosdidnothingwrong all over this?

I don't think so. Celestials operate over timelines of millions of years, unless Thanos planned on doing a snap every thousand years or so, I don't think it would put too much of a blip on the Celestials' radar.

I thought this movie was really good, they should have let Zhao go even more Zhao. The on location shooting helped immensely and the stark cinematography and unique visual designs and epic scale was all really enjoyable. Not sure why this is getting dogged on as much as it has, it's better than Black Widow and Shang-chi and I enjoyed both of those.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I don't think so. Celestials operate over timelines of millions of years, unless Thanos planned on doing a snap every thousand years or so, I don't think it would put too much of a blip on the Celestials' radar.

But, ajax changes her mind and realizes earth is worth saving because the avengers brought back half of all living life. Also, keep in mind that they mention the emergence of tiamut was delayed due to the snap. 

If thanos doesn't win in infinity war, ajax has no change of heart to the mission and let's tiamut emerge.